What's new

Rhino, The Transformers, and GI JOE: The End of Innocence (1 Viewer)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I just recieved Season 1 and Season 2: part 2 in the mail. I have watched the first 4 episodes. I must say that I cannot argue with Greg K's first post, but I also must add that I dont find the problems quite as offensive. Im sure the other new animation errors and re-mixed sound are horrible for the die hard purist and transformer superfan, but for the casual viewer they are very watchable, and look fantastic. For the most part, I hate revisionist history, but I really dont think Rhino's changes are a mis-representation of what this show is supposed to be.

The show is already on a sort of low budget level, and there are errors present from the original broadcasts that are far more distracting than any additional mistakes Rhino made, in my opinion. There are plenty of original mistakes in the animation and voice work that they make the rhino goofs seem minor in comparison.

Rhino should correct their mistakes, although I doubt they will. For now, Im very pleased to have what I have.

My biggest gripe is that the now out of print box sets carried a FAR too high price tag, and the new single sets would amount to an even higher cost to aquire all the episodes.

I have been tracking down the box sets used, and even then it aint cheap.

I recently ordered Season 2 part 1, and as soon as I can find them for a reasonable price, Ill get 3 pt1 and 3 pt2 - 4.

Joe:C

Second Unit
The changes never really bothered me much either. If not for the Internet, I probably wouldn't even be aware of the changes. I only need the last two sets to complete my collection.

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb
How's the picture quality on the G.I. Joe DVD's? I was bummed out to hear that the PQ for the Thundercats DVD is pretty bad and hope the same doesn't hold true for the Joes.

Greg K

Second Unit
The image quality for the GI JOE sets are equivalent to the Transformers sets. However, the "new" animation errors and sound effects still plague the DVDs, though not to the extent found in the Transformers sets.

I'm still at a loss regarding how people (particularly hardcore fans) can sit back and not be offended by these releases.

Yes, there are good things about the DVDs, like the image quality (which I attribute solely to the source material, not any "remastering" on Rhino's part), the inclusion of the commercial bumpers, recaps, and trailers, etc.

But still, for cryin' out loud:

What if someone (who had no association with the project orginally) came along and added the sound effects found on these DVDs to say, the Star Wars films? Or the original Star Trek tv series? Or some other movie or tv show?

What about adding incomplete/workprint footage into the afformentioned examples and advertising them as the "original, uncut" versions? How about putting the Star Trek: TNG opening titles for into the DVDs of the original Star Trek series' episodes?

Would fans sit by passively?

Why do the Transaformers and GI JOE deserve less?

Are these elements indicative of a *worthy* DVD release?

1. Incorrect opening/end titles for some episodes.

2. New, "stock" sound effects added in randomly by people who had no involvement with the creation of the sound effects for either series (although the "original broadcast audio" option for later TF and JOE sets fixed this problem by giving people the option to hear the original, unaltered audio).

3. Incomplete animation--that was originally FIXED for broadcast (and reruns and VHS)--billed as the "original and uncut" versions of the episodes. Or worse, attempts to fix/hide such errors that look like bad cut-and-paste jobs.

4. Episodes out of order (they often aren't in airdate OR production order).

Oh, and if you're hoping Rhino will release GI JOE: Season 2--Part 2, don't bother. Not gonna happen. The series is, and shall, for the moment, remain incomplete on DVD!

Any questions?

Someone has to fix this, someday, somehow. It IS misrepresentation, and it spits in the face of historical accuracy.

*Sigh*.

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb
Well there's always Blu-Ray. ;) Oh and a very similar thing *did* happen with Star Wars on DVD. *cough*lightsabers*cough*.

I'm glad that the PQ and audio is good for the GI Joe Season 1 DVD's.

Greg K

Second Unit
Yeah, the Star Wars (original trilogy) DVDs have issues (such as the afforementioned lightsabers), probably because they were a bit rushed. We'll see how things are in the next release...

And let's not forget (or dredge up) the SE vs. originals issue. Although, in that case, it's the FILMMAKER who's changing things, not the DVD production studio. The same can't be said for TF and JOE.

Anyway, GI JOE has gotten much better treatment on DVD than the Transformers. Aside from the audio problems (the original mini-series set only), the instances of incomplete animation/Rhino fixes (which seem rare), and the wrong intros/lack of PSAs, the sets are pretty darn nice.

Greg K

Second Unit
As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), Rhino no longer has the rights to either The Transformers (the original, that is--Beast Machines is coming out in the near future) or GI JOE. Paramount has the rights now, if I'm not mistaken.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
No, Paramount has the rights to newly made TF/GIJ items (Cybertron and Sigma 6, etc.).

Rights to the originals are now owned by Sony Music. They have given ZERO indication as to when they plan to start releasing them, nor whether they plan to start from the beginning all over again or pick up where Rhino left off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks