What's new

Rent DVD Details Out! (1 Viewer)

John Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Gilmore
Excellent filmed adaption of the Broadway musical...too bad it bombed at the box office. :-(

To answer your question, I believe that the numbers "Halloween" and the second part of "Goodbye Love" were filmed but cut before release. Also, I believe that the number "Contact" was recorded but never filmed. (don't quote me on these, I'm doing this from memory) :)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Can't wait for this.

As for documentaries, I'm sure there is a lot that can be done. The whole Jonathan Larson story, the Broadway success, the time in production, etc. There is a lot of footage of the original cast out there, various TV appearances etc.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Wow, this definitely more than I expected. February 21 can't get here soon enough. I had limited exposure to the musical before seeing the film and I was totally blown away by its message.

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator
I can't wait. I bet the documentary will be a 'From Stage to Screen' type deal which at feature length should be amazing. The Larson family had a lot of involvement in the movie so hopefully their participation will help this documentary as well.

The "performances" may be the AOL sessions and the Good Morning America live performances the cast did to promote the movie. Those are great too!

And is the movie really considered a bomb? I'm asking because I don't know exactly how this works. It cost $40 million. So far it has made $30 million in theaters. It is still set to open in 21 international markets later this year (including the UK) and the DVD sales and rentals are yet to be counted.

At the very least I don't think it will re-kill the musical genre. I hope not anyway.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Musicals are one of my favorite genres, but with the box office of this, PHANTOM and the current PRODUCERS not doing a lot of business, I don't think there is going to be a rush for more musicals anytime soon.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm geeked about this. I've already told my BF that this will be what we're watching the day it comes out...no if's, and's or but's.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I've had a skip in my step ever since they stopped showing that "365 Days until I drive into oncoming traffic" song.

;)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I wanted to like this film and even went to see it alone.
I thought the music was dull and the characters were boring.

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon.com has a breakdown of the feature length documentary.

Days of Inspiration - Jonathan Larson's formative years. His childhood through college

Leap of Faith - Jonathan's move to NY and the subsequent experiences and projects that led up to writing RENT

Another Day - The creation process of the musical RENT. From conception to the final dress rehearsal.

Without You - The death of Jonathan Larson, we then follow the show's amazing success story from off-Broadway to worldwide phenomenon

Over the Moon - this last portion covers the making of the actual movie with a final tribute to Jonathan Larson

I am so excited for this!

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator
They have decided to release a Foolscreen edition of this as well so be careful if you are going to buy it next Tuesday!

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
A bit off topic, but Anthony Rapp (Mark Cohen in the play/film) has a very good new book out, WITHOUT YOU. All about his life and the play. Worth a read for fans of the play.

Can't wait to get the DVD.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
The DVD is now available at certain stores in NYC that tend to disregard street dates. I watched the documentary last night. Nearly two hours long, the majority of the doc's running time focuses on Jonathan Larson's background and the creation of "Rent", followed by segments on the impact of the stage version and the making of the film. Very touching.

The documentary features one bizarre element: in many still photos, certain faces were digitally obscured. And in the excerpt from the Tony Awards, audience members as well as the presenter of the Tony to Larson's sister were digitally obscured as well! Someone in Sony's legal department is taking a very rigid view of the need to obtain releases.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
I've had a review copy for a couple days now and I just finished watching the documentary. Sadly my review copy was FS and the film looks terrible that way. The transfer is good and the sound mix is STELLAR.

Review forthcoming if I decide to stick it to the Sony PR for sending me the FS edition espescially since when I asked if they could correct the mistake, they didn't have any WS copies.

Perhaps that's why there's a lack of reviews of the disc out there.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I also received the FS edition. When I requested a widescreen version last week, they said they'd send one. Haven't gotten it yet...

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Colin,

That's interesting. I'm guessing your dealing with a different PR firm then I am since I'm dealing with the Canadian branch but it's still interesting that you also got a FS copy. It's too bad because the soundmix is so good but I just can't bring myself to watch the film itself without it being WS so instead I find myself listening to it in the background.

Still the bonus material is pretty good.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I requested the WS edition, but the agency didn't send me a copy at all! I've sent a followup email, so hopefully I'll get a copy, but bear in mind that it's highly unlikely that I'll have a review up by Tuesday.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Probably the most important question, that even those with the full screen can answer, how are the chapter stops?

I'm surprised by the number of musical DVDs that manage to get this wrong, not having chapter stops before each number. I would hope that RENT got it right.

I hope Columbus didn't pull a David Lynch and refuse to allow them.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
chapters.

i havent watched yet, so i dont know if titles are spoilers.
  1. seasons of love
  2. rent
  3. you'll see
  4. guardian angel
  5. one song glory
  6. light my candle
  7. today 4 u
  8. tango maureen
  9. life support
  10. out tonight/another day
  11. will i
  12. santa fe
  13. i'll cover you
  14. over the moon
  15. la vei boheme
  16. i should tell you
  17. viva la vie boheme!
  18. happy new year
  19. locked out and cleaned out
  20. welcome to corporate usa
  21. take me or leave me
  22. without you
  23. i'll cover you (reprise)
  24. goodbye love
  25. what you own
  26. searching for mimi
  27. your eyes
  28. finale[/list=1]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks