What's new

Rent DVD Details Out! (1 Viewer)

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
The chapters are well placed and from what I can remember almost all perfectly placed before musical numbers. I was hitting 'next chapter' and it brought me pretty much to the next song. Perfect for those of us who want to skip certain songs in multiple viewings.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
There's a funny thing about Sony DVDs that's been the case as long as I've been reviewing them (over a year). They *all* (with a very few exceptions) have 28 chapter stops!

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Great news about that chapter stops. They look about right. Thanks!

As for other directors, Zemeckis did it with the FORREST GUMP laserdisc, and Paul Thomas Anderson only allowed a limited number in MAGNOLIA, but I think Lynch is the only one with a policy against it.

It is very unrealistic though to not allow them. Maybe Lynch has time to devote to watching a movie uninterrupted, but most people (with phones, family, life etc) often have to stop a movie and then pick up where it left off. Chapter stops help get them back to where they were.

Not to mention for musicals, allowing easy replay of the best numbers.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Sony (CTS) has ALWAYS used 28 chapters. Some exceptions do exist, but for some bizarre reason, they long ago made that their norm!

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Shameless off-topic post:

[Homer]Where is the rent? I must have the rent! Dollars, dimes and nickels, I need them all right now.....[/Homer]

:D

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished watching the documentary and it is absolutely amazing. I am so pleased to see so much effort was put into it and this set as a whole. It could have so easily been a bare bones.

My only disappointment with the set was that I misunderstood 'Deleted Scenes and Musical Performances' as being two features. It's not. There are no 'performances' on the disc. There are just deleted spoken scenes and deleted musical scenes.

That's just a small complaint though.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Thanks for the great RENT DVD... BUT....

Here's what I don't understand... the studios will do UNRATED EXTENDED SO-AND-SO EDITIONS, but they can't put the DELETED SCENES BACK INTO RENT!? The scenes would have worked just fine edited back in. I don't understand why when Chris Columbus cut them for theatrical pacing in the first place. We're at home now! GRRRR.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
tons of copies sitting on the shelf at blockbuster..looks like there isn't a whole lot of interest in this one.

normally new releases are wiped clean on tuesday.

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator
I think interest in this movie will vary in different markets. You can hardly say there is no interest in something based on one store somewhere in America.

I went to Blockbuster to rent Weather Man today and noticed Rent was completely wiped out. They had an entire bay devoted to it too.

Anyway, I came into this thread to ask if anyone was able to get the calendar from Circuit City.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I know. Pacing wise, seeing it twice in theatres, what I thought hurt the film was the whole Sarah Silverman scene. The longest stretch in the film without a musical number. For me that will always be skipped over on the DVD. It would have worked better as a deleted scene.

The deleted scenes were good (liked the Happy New Year / dog scene, although wish they had done it sung, my favorite number from the play)

And as for the alternate ending, you know, I think I liked it more. They should have used it. It brings it back to the stage, the way it opened.

The chapter stops were okay, but unfortunately, not on where the song began. And unfortunately, no break between OUT TONIGHT and ANOTHER DAY.

Went through the doc quickly, looked very good, glad to see Daphne Ruben Vega interviewed. Will watch it soon.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Curious, I just re-ripped the Original Broadway Cast recording, and I didn't put a break there either. I kept Life Support - Out Tonight - Another Day together. The iPod has an annoying habit of adding a pause between songs that are ripped separately.

- Steve

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
My review is up, guys! Sorry for yet again another post-release-date writeup. I got a late batch of screeners from Sony.

Amazingly, the disc has 29 chapter stops! I can't remember the last Sony DVD that didn't have exactly 28 of them. :)

I liked the deleted scenes, but I agree with leaving them out of the film itself.

I also prefer the ending they used, although the alternate is good too. Listen to the commentary -- the reason for choosing the ending they did makes a lot of sense.

Come by the review thread for further discussion. :)

Don Black

Screenwriter
Did anyone experience any audio problems on their second bonus disc with the first PSA? My audio seems to be cutting in and out and the disc doesn't look like it has any scratches on it. Thanks.

Reopening this thread for a quick question...

I see that RENT is being rereleased Mar 6 2007 on DVD, and I was wondering if anyone knew if it was just a basic rerelease of the current DVD, or if we are getting something different, as far as special features go. Thanks in advance...

I originally got the heads up on a different message board, then confirmed it via amazon, and have seen it here and there on various "upcoming lists" around the internet...

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I would assume it is a single disc reissue of the film only.

Great disc though, if you don't already have it. Amazon has the current version for under $10 so there is no reason not to pick it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks