What's new

Reese Witherspoon passes Julia Roberts... (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Which are the good ones and which are the bad ones?

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member

:laugh: Ouch.
My point being, two of those films made a lot of coin and two of them were huge flops.

After negotiating with New Line for more than a year, Chris Tucker (finally) inked a deal to star opposite Jackie Chan in "Rush Hour 3", it'll hit theaters during the summer of 2007. Tucker will receive $20 million for returning, while Chan is earning $15 million. Brett Ratner, who will return as director, is getting $7 million to helm the film.

$42 million of the film's proposed $100 million budget is being spent on the director and his two stars.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I think Reese seems very genuine, however as much as I enjoyed walk the line, it makes my skin crawl that actors and actresses get paid what they do when teachers who are molding our children and giving them skills to survive in this world get paid so little.

Josh.C

Second Unit

The same could be said about star athletes. But we have no one to blame but ourselves. We are the ones paying their salaries. We read the tabloids, watch their movies, ask for their autographs, and chat about them on forums like this one.

I'd be a big hypocrite if I said I wouldn't take the money if it was offered to me. I'm sure some of them do good things with it, and many more over-indulge themselves.

Being a trash man, or Postal worker, just doesn't create the same buzz.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Josh C, I totally understand that. I realize we contribute to the problem seeing the movies, buying souveniers and going to games and concerts....

I think it's just sad when you look at the state of the schools and inner city programs (which I know some celebs do donate to) and then see these celebs making that kind of money.

back on topic.....

Reese looked the most amazing on Oscar night. Her dress, her hair... she was such a beauty. Very classy.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
The ones that really bother me and IMHO don't belong on that list are:

Tim Allen
Vin Diesel
Kirsten Dunst
Martin Lawrence
Chris Tucker
Vince Vaughn
and Sylvester f***ing Stallone! What the hell has he done in the last 15 years that he can still command and asking price of $20m per film? If anyone I know says they're going to see Rocky 6 when it comes out I'm personally going to set up a hunting trip with them and Dick Cheney.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
What puzzled me was that Witherspoon, doing interviews at the Oscars, claimed that she had no upcoming projects, so what film production has her signed up for $29 million?

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
From what I understand, Witherspoon has four projects lined up. A pair of comedies, a drama, and a thriller. The thriller is the one that she is said to have negotiated the fat deal for.

I have no idea why she said she had no upcoming projects, maybe she's yet to sign on the dotted line for any of them, but expect her "people" to make an official announcement during the next month as to which film she will be doing next.

Coming off of her Oscar win, Witherspoon is the hottest actress in the industry right now and I'm sure her representatives are telling her to strike while the iron is hot. Practically all of Hollywood is lining up to work with her.

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator

Dodgeball and Wedding Crashers were both monster hits.

IMDB lists the budget of Dodgeball as $20 million, I think that's interesting.

That is the thing that is strange to me because actors become bankable because they had a hit movie, often modestly budgeted. The bankable actor then gets more and more money so the budget gets bigger and bigger and the return has to be greater and greater.

On that note I don't see Rush Hour 3 doing enough business to justify a $100 million+ budget.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
It stands very good chances of making at the very least twice as much.

Consider that the last one cost $90M and made nearly $350M worldwide... Tucker certainly deserves his $20M in my book.

--
H

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
people forget that Rush Hour 2 was FIVE YEARS AGO. Considering Chan really hasn't been in a successful movie since and that Tucker's been MIA is a sign that todays audience might not really care so much about it when it comes out. Plus, outside of a select few franchises (Star Wars, LOTR, Harry Potter, James Bond) usually the third movie is where the series starts to level off and the box office returns are diminished.

I personally think too much time has passed since Rush Hour 2 for where people are still going to care as much as they did then.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

You are only thinking in the USA. Chan is still pretty big in
Asia, and that in itself will sell a film.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks