What's new

Record Store Day is April 19, 2014! (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Anticipation is growing for what this year's exclusive releases will be...

Roger Taylor of Queen announced last week that his current solo album Fun On Earth is getting a vinyl release for RSD, but since the title hasn't been released in the US at all, I'm guessing it's a UK RSD release.

More info coming!

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
The complete listing of releases is now available in the OP link.

My "wish list" :

The Cure/Dinosaur Jr. "Just Like Heaven" side by side single
Chvrches "Recover" EP
Civil Wars "Live at Eddie's Attic"
MTKO "Classic" single
Eric B & Rakim "Paid In Full" single
Max Steiner's King Kong theme single
fun. "Point and Light"
Ray Parker Jr. "Ghostbusters" 10" glow in the dark 30th anniversary picture disc single

Two imports I HAVE to track down:
ABBA "Waterloo" 7" picture disc commemorating their 40th anniversary win at Eurovision
Roger Taylor (drummer for Queen) "Fun On Earth" vinyl or picture disc vinyl

Can't wait for the 19th of April!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm definitely picking up the Ramones EP. I'd like to pick up the King Kong disc but I don't know if my store will carry it and unless I get in line now, I can forget about the Ghostbusters one as well.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I'm definitely picking up the Ramones EP. I'd like to pick up the King Kong disc but I don't know if my store will carry it and unless I get in line now, I can forget about the Ghostbusters one as well.
Travis, where in the US are you? I have gotten everything on my lists the past 3-4 years at the Exclusive Company here in Milwaukee. I'd be more than happy to help you out if I can....

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the kind offer, Eric :) but I love the thrill of the hunt so I'm good. I'll stop in my store this week and talk with the owner to see if he's getting the King Kong record. At least that way, he's know that there's some interest for it. If he's stocking King Kong, I should be able to get that and the Ramones and Ghostbusters records will probably be well stocked but I imagine that the Ghostbusters one will be pretty popular. In short, I have to get in line early and that will, hopefully, get me what I want.

And if I strike out on any of them, I'll get it on eBay in a few months when the price levels out.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Every year there is a "holy grail" title that I REALLY want...and it just got announced: the 75th Anniversary soundtrack to "The Wizard of Oz" on emerald green vinyl, and including rare and previously unreleased songs, including the original version of "If I Only Had A Brain"!

wizard.jpg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I might skip this year seeing as the Neil Young set got bumped. I wouldn't mind the DEVO releases, and some of the others already mentioned. I'm not losing sleep over them though.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Well, I got some, but not all of the items I wanted. But I DID hit the jackpot at one store that was liquidating a TON of mostly promo/radio vinyl from the 70's/80's and picked up a "few" deals at only a buck a pop! Did pick up the live Civil Wars LP and The Cure Side By Side single!

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_4690.jpg

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I got there about 2 hours before opening and managed to get The Last House On The Left soundtrack. Since the store that I go to is like a Wal Mart on Black Friday (minus the assaults and tramplings), I'm happy when I can score one or two items.

I was going to get Public Enemy's It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back but since it was a Record Store Day first release rather than an exclusive, I figured I could wait until it becomes available for regular release and is maybe a little cheaper.

It's fun to get in line and scramble to get the titles that I want but I'm glad that other dumb junk that I collect like comic books or movies don't have a similar kind of thing.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Having NEVER participated in any Black Friday shopping (although 17 years with Target had me on the "receiving end") I now understand it. My only REAL disappointment was that the guy in front of me in line got the last "Wizard of Oz" soundtrack. Since I love the movie and don't own the soundtrack I did want it...but I can always get the CD for the same music...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
EricSchulz said:
My only REAL disappointment was that the guy in front of me in line got the last "Wizard of Oz" soundtrack.
That sucks. When I was in line to check out, the guy behind me had the Ghostbusters record. I said to him, "Wow, you must have been like the first guy in line to get that one" and he laughed and said "No, I was second".

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
EricSchulz said:
Anyone go to Record Store Day today? What did you get? Any fun experiences?
It was the first time I ever went to one, and the most positive thing was that I discovered a record store that's been 2 miles from my house for years that I never knew existed before.I didn't see any OZ or Ghostbusters records, and the David Bowie picture disc was overpriced, so I just left the store with some new record sleeves and that's it. But, at least I know the store is there now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.