What's new

Receiver Inputs/Outputs Questions Denon AVR1312 (1 Viewer)

denonavr1312

Agent
Real Name
Bill
Hello. I am posting a diagram of the wiring of my system and would appreciate if someone would help clear up some nagging questions I have. I hooked it up following the Denon manual and also with assistance from the Denon Techs but I would like to know exactly where and what these connections are doing. My questions, to begin with (and maybe end with) are:
1--What is the purpose of the Optical/Digital cable, ie is it taking a signal from the TV or TO the TV?
2--Why do I have a Video RCA connector coming to or from the TV to the Receiver?
3--Why does the Coax cable from the Cable Box go to the TV plus Audio/Video cables from the Cable Box to the Receiver.
(Speakers are Boston Acoustics FL -Center-Fr, Rear L&R and Sub)
I guess it may solve a lot of questions if someone could just try and explain the various paths of the signals.
Thanks very much, it will sure help me to understand this system!:confused:
Cheers/Bill

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
^^^Couple of questions:
Are you using an HD cable box with HDMI capability or an older SD box?
Are you using a standard definition dvd player?
If you're using an SD cable box and a standard def dvd player you're getting the worst possible audio and video quality on your setup and imho have wasted money on the nice tv and receiver.
My advice--get an HD capable cable box with HDMI, and a Blu Ray player. connect both via HDMI to the receiver, then run one HDMI cable from the receiver to the tv. Keep the optical digital cable from the tv to the receiver for audio from internet streaming services accessed by the tv. Get rid of all the other cables.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
denonavr1312 said:
3--Why does the Coax cable from the Cable Box go to the TV plus Audio/Video cables from the Cable Box to the Receiver.
Having a separate connection that bypasses the receiver would allow you to watch TV using the TVs speakers while the receiver is turned off. Not all receivers will pass through a signal when in standby/off mode. Not sure if the Denon does this or not.

Most of us around here use our receivers all the time, so we don't typically include the separate connection. If you want the option of watching cable without the receiver being turned on, leave this connection.

That issue aside - reiterating what Steve said - if you get an HD cable box with HDMI output, and a Blu-ray player with HDMI output, then you need a total of 3 HDMI cables and one digital optical cable and that's it. If you aren't using the built-in streaming apps, or the TVs built in tuner, then you won't need the optical cable either.

denonavr1312

Agent
Real Name
Bill
Steve: No HD with HDMI cable box. Not sure what you mean by standard def. dvd player, it is a Toshiba SD-K741 Model.
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-SD-K741-Progressive-Scan-Player/dp/B0007L7XZM
(I realize it is not the best possible setup, but I certainly dont feel I've wasted money--even as it is we are getting plenty of enjoyment out of it---- BUT until I learn things from people like you and Jason, it will have to do subject to changes in the future--actually I'm happy with what I have but of course look forward to updating it)
Jason: -- Re your explanation on the Optical connection that it is an Output--even that helps me understand the layout!
-- Re the separate Coax connection, I see no reason why we would want to use the TV's speakers--havent done it yet! Thanks for clarifying that. Does that mean I could (if I wanted) take off the Coax connector from the Cable Box to the TV, and things would still function via the Receiver?
Will take a bit of time to digest what you have said. The HD/HDMI option may come in the future (we may go to a different cable supplier and go with a bundle setup) but am still evaluating just where I want to go with this. I appreciate both your inputs and will get back to you.
*One more thing, just fyi, I do have wireless connection to internet via the LG and my Apple iMac.
Could you clarify what the Video cable coming from the TV to the Receiver is used for--in my limited knowledge I thought the HDMI cable would possibly have handled that?
Thanks again, hope neither of you have been badly affected by Sandy. Cheers/Bill
Here is a link on the LG showing specs http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-47LW6500-led-tv

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
ARC would get rid of the optical cable from the TV into the AVR. But ARC, because you MUST use CEC, causes other headaches.
There is no reason to have that connection otherwise, unless you have your cable connected directly to the TV for it to receive OTA. If you don't know what OTA is, you aren't using it.
What he means by a "standard definition DVD player" is one that doesn't upscale to HD(720P/1080I/P). Your DVD player from 2005-ish does not have HDMI.
So, for now...
The only improvement would be changing out your red/white RCA for toslink, so you can have real 5.1 from your two sources.
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Digital-Optical-Audio-Toslink/dp/B001TH7GSW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351803232&sr=1-1&keywords=toslink
I know your DVD player has this. Your cable STB probably does as well.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by denonavr1312 /t/324855/receiver-inputs-outputs-questions-denon-avr1312#post_3996375
Could you clarify what the Video cable coming from the TV to the Receiver is used for--in my limited knowledge I thought the HDMI cable would possibly have handled that?

All video connections on the TV are going to be inputs. No TV has any sort of video output. So technically, the connection goes from the receiver to the TV. If your receiver "upconverts" all incoming analog video signals (composite, component, S-video if it has any) to HDMI then this connection is completely redundant, too.

Some older receivers didn't upconvert analog to HDMI, so any input to the receiver had to have a corresponding output to the display. Also, there were some receivers that had issues displaying their on-screen displays over HDMI (odd, I know, but that's what I seem to remember) so in some instances you needed a more basic analog connection for setup, etc.

denonavr1312

Agent
Real Name
Bill
Jason Charlton said:
All video connections on the TV are going to be inputs.  No TV has any sort of video output.  So technically, the connection goes from the receiver to the TV.  If your receiver "upconverts" all incoming analog video signals (composite, component, S-video if it has any) to HDMI then this connection is completely redundant, too.
Some older receivers didn't upconvert analog to HDMI, so any input to the receiver had to have a corresponding output to the display.  Also, there were some receivers that had issues displaying their on-screen displays over HDMI (odd, I know, but that's what I seem to remember) so in some instances you needed a more basic analog connection for setup, etc.
Talking to a Denon Tech awhile back, he indicated the 1312 doesnt upconvert so that is likely why I have that Video connection. Also when I want to switch from DVD to TV and try to use the Receiver remote, it doesnt work--I have to go to the TV and change inputs, apparently that is another indication that the receiver doesnt upconvert. Thanks Jason, hope I'm slowly picking up some of this but also hoping an exam isnt upcoming!

denonavr1312

Agent
Real Name
Bill
Whoops--delete (is there any way to completely delete these extra posts? It didn't seem to be taking the post, so I kept clicking on SUBMIT, but it looks like it was being submitted even though the submit box didnt go away. Sorry for the confustion, maybe someone can delete these extra ones?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And on the HDMI you currently have, unless the 1312 only shows the GUI via HDMI, you didn't need it...yet.
Otherwise, I would have bought this AVR...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR591/DENON-AVR-591-5.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

denonavr1312

Agent
Real Name
Bill
schan1269 said:
And on the HDMI you currently have, unless the 1312 only shows the GUI via HDMI, you didn't need it...yet.
Otherwise, I would have bought this AVR...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR591/DENON-AVR-591-5.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html
Wow, I am really out of my league here--the GUI..........just googled and found out it's Graphic User Interface--damn you learn something every day! ....if I would have bought that one, somebody no doubt would have said you should have bought THIS one......you cant win for losing! I'm okay with the 1312, just have to get used to it, that's all. Thanks Schan./Bill
(also thanks for the deletions).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The 591 has this feature called...
HDMI upconversion.
Meaning your two composite(that would be the yellow) video signals would have been added to the HDMI from the AVR to the TV...
Meaning you wouldn't have both an HDMI and composite going AVR -> TV.

denonavr1312

Agent
Real Name
Bill
Thanks Sam, appreciate the info--Someday I may make the move up but havent had the 1312 that long and not ready to unload it yet! All this information really helps and I do appreciate all the input.
Cheers/Bill
(I'm going to try and find the Forum for picking a Blue Ray player on here and see about getting into that one of these days).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks