What's new

Raise the Red Lantern (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I wish. Finally watched The Road Home the other day and now I'm in the mood for more Zhang Yimou.

Scott Bender

Auditioning
I bought an all region dvd of Raise the Red Lantern late last year from HKFlix. I can't comment on the quality as I haven't actually watched it yet, but there are probably reviews on the net somewhere.
Scott

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I just recieved an email from Amazon that Raise the Red Lantern is now available for preorder.
A terrific film! Can't wait!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Oh man, this is long overdue. Hopefully it has a good transfer, though the bar has been set pretty low by what's currently available. I actually decided to keep my VHS pan/scan copy over the all region DVD I had.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Cover art at DVD Empire:
764350h.jpg

Distributor is Razor Digital Entertainment and it is also releasing Ju Duo the same day (Feb 14). Here are descrips on Razor's site:
Raise the Red Lantern: http://www.razordigitalent.com/Distr...redlantern.htm
Ju Duo: http://www.razordigitalent.com/Distributor/DV_judou.htm
Deep Discount DVD has the pair bundled for 18.36.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I wonder how the quality will be. Why in the world isn't Sony releasing this? Didn't MGM own the rights?

Great film, and beautifully photographed — I hope the transfer does it justice.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
If the transfer is not up to snuff on this release it is a no buy from me. I already own a DVD release that has a bad transfer.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If you look on the site it's mostly workout videos and schlock horror films. I would say that's a bad sign :D.

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
That may be a bad sign, but that isn't going to keep from getting my hopes up!

So what's the deal, MGM doesn't have the rights anymore?

With this coming soon, I think that's the last of the major "why the hell isn't this on DVD?" films I had on my list (now that Au Revoir Les Enfants is officially coming).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
DVD Beaver has a note on its homepage about early reports saying the picture of the new RRL and Ju Dou are worse than the previously worst! Argh!

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Dammit.

I'm not canceling my order, though. I've waited far too long for "Raise the Red Lantern" and this looks to be about the best way to get "Ju Dou" in America these days.

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
If you'd take a look at the screencaps that DVDBeaver has on the site, you'd cancel it. There's no excuse for letting this company get away with such a terrible, insulting product. Giving them your money for an inferior product only encourages them to do it again. You should instead buy the region 0 version and send an email to the company explaining why you did not buy their product.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
This is soooooo disappointing!

How can such a beloved film be having this much trouble getting a decent DVD release?

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Excellent question. Wish I knew. I've yet to see a Zhang Yimou film that is less than excellent.
Unfortunately I haven't seen Ju Dou yet and after reading the DVDBeaver review it appears I may be waiting a bit longer. Chris is right - what an awful disc (at least according to the screen captures).

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Very disappointing!!!

Does anyone know if there is a decent DVD of this or Ju-Dou in any other region? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks