1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

R. I. P Johnnie Cochran

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jason Adams, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Well-Known Member

Roger Jason Adams
  2. David Galindo

David Galindo Well-Known Member

You beat me by one minute, hah.

This came out of nowhere, eh?

3. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Well-Known Member

Roger Jason Adams
    Never underestimate the power of copy+paste!

And yeah...it did. I didn't even know he had a tumor.

If the glove does not fit, you must acquit!

4. Scott L

Scott L Well-Known Member

no comment

/spam

5. David Williams

David Williams Well-Known Member

Couldn't have happened to a nicer person...

Johnnie Cochran: a big [​IMG] but RIP anyway. Our judicial system is better off with you where you are now. [​IMG]

6. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Well-Known Member

No class whatsoever. [​IMG]

7. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Well-Known Member

JC actually made my life a little easier. After a woman was killed crossing an eight lane road to get to work at the local megamall because the mall owners wouldn't let public transportation onto their property, he took the case, got tons of money for the woman's kid, and now I don't have to cross that same highway to shop - the bus pulls up right to the door.

Besides, he pissed off all the right people. So definitely RIP.

8. CharlesD

CharlesD Well-Known Member

Amen to that. The man did a great deal more than get OJ Simpson off.

9. AjayM

AjayM Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

He's certainly not going to go down in history with names such as his own heros such as Marshall, but the man did more for the "common" man than he did for celebrities.

10. DustinLC

DustinLC Well-Known Member

He was on our local radio talkshow not too long ago. The host asked him "did OJ do it?"

He said no comment. Went on with some babbling that lead me and the host to believe he's pretty much confessed that he believes OJ did it.

He might have been doing his job but it was dishonest. A murderer got away. He might have done goods elsewhere but it won't rectify the dishonesty of the OJ case.

Oh well, it was the jury that eventually determined the outcome so he's not all to blame.

So R.I.P and be judged.

11. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Well-Known Member

removed by poster.

12. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Obvious edit by moderator - Cees

13. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    That last remark isn't a very wise one.

I urge everyone not to pursue that line of thought - in whatever direction.

I think it's a great thing that ANYONE is entitled to have a good lawyer in the US of A when (s)he's brought to court. Whatever crime (s)he's accused of.

I understand that Johnnie Cochran did his job as a lawyer very well in that respect. May he indeed Rest In Peace, he certainly died too young.

Cees

14. Holadem

Holadem Well-Known Member

The job of a lawyer is to work in the best interest of his/her client. It has nothing to do with (dis)honesty. Why don't people understand that?

Everyone hates lawyers until they need one... and when they do, they will wish it was Johnny Cochran.

RIP.

--
    H

15. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Well-Known Member

Very true! I have been lucky and never needed one, but if I do, I want the toughest SOB I can get.

It is funny that the first thing I thought of when I heard about his passing was the "Chewbacca Defense" from South Park.

16. DustinLC

That might be true and I've said that he's doing what he is suppose to do but you're saying that if he believed OJ is guilty and present it otherwise, it's not dishonesty?

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Well-Known Member

If he believed OJ to be guilty at the time of the defense I would think it would have been a major ethical issue for him to defend him. Lawyers, particularly defense trial lawyers have some very difficult ethical dilemas. I'm sure the OJ trial was one. Are we to demonize every lawyer who ever defended a guilty man in court? How about those who proved their client innocent?

From what I understand, the reason OJ got away with his murders has more to do with the failure of the prosecution to present what should have been an open and shut case. Here's an interesting book on the subject by an expert.

18. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I would hope most of us are wise enough not to make comments that reflect badly on those that made them.

We should also remember that Cochran worked a number of years in the District Attorney Office so I'm sure he put away his share of bad guys. I would doubt that any good criminal lawyer with a long and distinguished career hasn't defended a questionable client(s). I don't know if Cochran was a good man because I didn't know him, but it appears he was a good lawyer.

Crawdaddy

19. AjayM

AjayM Well-Known Member

Well he's on record in what must be hundreds of interviews where he states his opinion that OJ is not guilty and cites why. As to this specific instance, it would seem strange that he would change his tune all of the sudden, but anything is possible.

Andrew

20. DustinLC

I don't believe anyone demonizing lawyers here. No one including me are demonizing Cochran either. I'm just against his action based on his believe on the case.

Again, he did a good job of getting OJ free but doesn't mean I have to approve of what he did. Cochran has always been an inner circle with OJ. They knew each other. From what I've heard in interviews, it seems he doesn't believe OJ is innocent.

All those evidences..... gesh [​IMG]

Look what got Scott Petterson convicted compared to OJ. They both try to take off with money. In Petterson case, there wasn't even any blood evidence, any direct connection. Nevertheless the guy is on his way to death.