What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

PSP - It's a beautiful thing (1 Viewer)

DeanC

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, NO. I hear its gonna be a super system. Not only will it be a seller, it will be against the DS, IPODS etc...

Electric Playground a videogame show reviewed it. Also saw photos of it, as its already released in Japan. Either buying it single with just the system or the package deal that you get a Memory stick and a soft case for the PSP.

Games will be sold separately which is not true right now. Maybe Future Shop, BB or EB will come up with a game.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Leo

Second Unit
Well I got the basic pack as I found out the remote and headphones weren't worth the extra cost. I'm a Mac user and some developers have made a simple product for encoding video, syncing photos, movies and music to the PSP. Much better than the current offering from Sony (and seeing as there isn't a Mac app). So I've been able to watch anime, trailers, etc on my PSP when stuck in a waiting room or on the transit train going downtown. Another cool thing I've done is read manga comics that I've loaded up as photos on my PSP. It's really a handy little device. The screen still wows me.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Any site (besides IGN) that has a good write up on all the features of the PSP?

I cant wait to get one now- Mercury looks awesome, especially if it has a tilt sensor.

DeanC

Stunt Coordinator
Electronic Boutique just started handing out coupons now for $5 off if you buy 2 games when you buy your PSP in Late March early April in Canada BC area.

One thing as I was looking over my collection of portable game systems will the PSP last that long as a great system?
Or be like the Nintendo Gameboy's versions a new one comes out every 2 to 3 yrs.

My DS is now just sitting back in its box. I am mostly playing the SP more cause of more portability and backwards compat.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

It will depend on a number of factors, particularly the software offerings and Nintendo's eventual successor to the DS/GBA SP. Aesthetically and functionally, it has no equal, IMHO. Firmware upgrades have been promised by Sony; if delivered regularly, should minimize the risk of early obsolescence.

Right now, I'm hoping that the N. American launch in March isn't subject to revision. I'll be on vacation throughout April and I don't want Sony throwing a wrench in my plans. ;)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Most of that stuff you need. The case. The memory stick. But there are more than likely going to be better alternatives out there at launch. I would like to choose which accessories I use instead of being forced to get them with the system. At least at retailers they let you choose which accessories you get with their forced bundles. And I am seriously going to want a larger memory stick than 32MB with this thing too. Guess what is getting traded in immediatly:)?

And as a video game retailer, this really kills my business. Most retailers make their money from add ons and accessories, not off the hardware. Now Sony has pretty much locked out any potential add ons other than bigger memory sticks.

But who am I kidding. I will still buy one.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Official launch list:

-- Ape Escape(R): On the Loose, Sony Computer Entertainment America
-- ATV Offroad Fury(R): Blazin' Trails, Sony Computer Entertainment
America
-- Darkstalkers Chronicle(TM): The Chaos Tower, Capcom
-- Dynasty Warriors(R), KOEI
-- FIFA 2005, Electronic Arts
-- Gretzky(TM) NHL(R), Sony Computer Entertainment America
-- Lumines(TM), Ubisoft
-- Metal Gear Acid(TM), Konami
-- MLB(TM), Sony Computer Entertainment America
-- MVP Baseball, Electronic Arts
-- NBA, Sony Computer Entertainment America
-- NBA Street Showdown, Electronic Arts
-- Need for Speed(TM) Rivals, Electronic Arts
-- NFL Street 2 Unleashed, Electronic Arts
-- Rengoku(TM): Tower of Purgatory, Konami
-- Ridge Racer(TM), Namco
-- Smartbomb, Eidos Interactive
-- Spider-Man 2(TM), Activision
-- Tiger Woods PGA TOUR(R), Electronic Arts
-- Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix, Activision
-- Twisted Metal: Head On(TM), Sony Computer Entertainment America
-- Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade, Sony Online Entertainment
-- Wipeout(R) Pure, Sony Computer Entertainment America
-- World Tour Soccer, Sony Computer Entertainment America

Mercury wont make the launch...so I wont either. Maybe Ill get one in the summer.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Yes, there will be a great deal of third party things available at launch, but most consumers wont bother since many of the accessories third parties would make are being offered with the system anyways.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

True. The Value Pack includes a decent starter kit of its own, but there are offerings from third-party manufacturers that may be worth buying (until Sony releases its own equivalents), such as a DC car charger, screen protector film, UMD jackets, USB data cable, etc. The PSP is a proverbial gold mine for accessories that have yet to be devised, but thanks to ingenious marketing, we soon realize we can't do without. ;)

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

I think we can count on a few summer blockbusters finding their way onto the PSP from Sony's own library; I'm more concerned with offerings, if any, from other studios.

I'm looking forward to viewing Spider-Man 2 on a PSP screen. :emoji_thumbsup:

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Spider Man 2 should be a good showoff for the PSP screens greatest strengths and its weaknesses. It is a vibrant and very colorfilm film that will show off the sharpness and color of the screen. However it is also a film with lots of fast motion, which could show the screens potentially bad refresh rate as well.

And I forgot about a USB cable. That doesnt look like it is coming with the PSP then. More than likely sony will make you buy their software and cable for transferring mp3s and such.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
As accessories go, this may be the most useful one I've seen thus far:

From EB's website:
A bit pricey at ~$60, but seeing as an extra battery will run me another $40 anyway, the additional functionality could justify its asking price.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Here are accessories that will be available for PSP at launch.

Ear Buds Earphones............$9.99
Pro Gamers Kit................$29.99
Safe Case.....................$9.99
Starter Kit...................$14.99
Action Replay.................$39.99.

There is free software out there for converting files to the necessary mp4 format to play on the PSP. Some software I have is 3GP Converter that even renames the file to proper Sony standard.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Looking over our list of upcoming accessories for the system at work today, there is something called a SCREEN SHIELD for it. If it is a hard cover for the screen to use all the time even when playing, I am SO all over it.

DeanC

Stunt Coordinator
Reading back someone posted The StarWars movie Empire Strikes Back is available. I'm pleased with that.

My Toshiba 5inch screen portable DVD player battery I cannot replace. I am only able to use ac adapter for it.

I hope over time the PSP battery doesn't die. Never had probs with the other portable gamesystems I own.

I hope PSP doesn't go like the Turboexpress or Sega Nomad systems. Very huge and battery usage. Thank goodness Sony has a charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks