What's new

PSP - It's a beautiful thing (2 Viewers)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Mac only. I could write a Windows version, but the Mac version alone takes up all my time. I don't have the time to make a Windows version, and I'm not dealing with wxWidgets.

Mike

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
My Macs at home so I'll give it a go when I get home tonight Thanks Mike ! BTW do you have you PSP already and if not are you first shipment?

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I have one from Japan already, and I have a US one paid in full - just waiting for Thursday :).

Mike

RichardK

Second Unit
I am going to try and get one on the 24th from the local WalMart...I'm going to have to hide the cost from the Wife because I just bought an XBOX and a GBA. I'm really excited about this one because of the wireless gaming. I played with one of these at a small tradeshow recently and it is SLICK!
If I get one, I will add any and all of you to my buddy list.
I will likely get Wipeout and TW Golf when available.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I was trading in some games today and they gotin Gretsky Hockey, You all should see the size of these UMD disks really amazing. I also Paid in full for Ridge Racer and MLB2006 so I'll be onlne with thoe at least. I don't know when I'll get the actual system thou I hope by the second shipment.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
Spider-Man 2 is 2.35:1, and according to IGN the UMD that comes with the value pack is cropped to 16:9. (Edit: Or maybe it's open matte, but still.)

I'm not interested in the movie anyway, but I wish I didn't have to buy the value pack! (But... I do have to buy the value pack, because the PSP is the most beautiful electronic device I have ever seen.)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm not surprised. I'm gonna get killed or this but I don't mind the cropping for a movie for a machine with a 4.3 inch screen. I've started doing some conversions using the Rapiz program and I do my widescreen encodes with the widescreen option checked. That will eliminate the letterboxing and fil the screen, since I willnever watch these on anything other than the PSP it makes sense.

Ok Kill me now (Hangs Head in shame)

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I think Pan&Scan is unacceptable even on the PSP, although to me open-matte would be an reasonable alternative. On a widescreen display, 2.35 is only slightly letterboxed and I believe would look stylish on the PSP.

But also consider that if Sony displayed Spider-Man 2 with full 2.35 widescreen, they could have been able to show the movie with 25% less compression, or perhaps even better could have created room to store the Sam Raimi/Tobey Maguire commentary track and 30 minutes worth of making of featurettes from the DVD.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
For those that missed the first shipment pre-order deadline, Best Buy will be opening at 8:01am on March 24 (unfortunately, I can't post any details until this Sunday)

RichardK

Second Unit
Ken

BB, all stores at 8:01am or just in Ohio?

Any Walmart workers know when the PSPs will ready for sale? My local is a 24hr shop..can i go at midnight and snatch one up or what??? Also, anyone know if Sam's is gonna have these on 3/24?

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
I don't want to turn this of all threads into an aspect ratio debate, but let me just say that Bill Pope joked that he agreed to shoot SM 2 on the condition that it be shot "in a widescreen format" (making fun of the 1.85 ratio of SM 1). So, I imagine he'd think it was pretty important to see his 2.35:1 framing. (Source: American Cinematographer magazine)

Think of the compositions, man!! :)

Plus, if my calculations are correct, 4.3" diagonal viewed from 18 inches is equivalent to nearly a 30" widescreen set viewed from 10 feet. So, the perceived screen size will be plenty.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Well, just got me a 1gb stick off of ebay, since that seems to be the only place to get them nowadays. Lets hope it arrives in time for the system launch in less than a week.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

My info came from a secondary source, i.e. a non-Ohio resident who gets his flyers during mid-week. It's a safe bet that the central Ohio locations will be opening at 8:01 next Thursday, though the earlier opening may be at the discretion of a given store manager, i.e. YMMV. You may want to check with your nearest BB on or after Sunday to confirm the store hours for the 24th.

While I can't post specifics for next week's flyers (at least till Sunday), what I can say is that Best Buy, CompUSA, Target and Toys R Us will be selling the Value Pack as a standalone item (i.e. no compulsory bundle purchase); only Circuit City is advetising a PSP bundle (that I know of).

DeanC

Stunt Coordinator
Well Future Shop here in BC Canada Vancouver and Burnaby is having a midnight madness sale on Tuesday for the PSP release.

They are the best deal I think with Spiderman 2 movie, Twisted Metal, and Gretzky Hockey along with a carrying case, memory stick and battery and all. For $349 Canadian thats good.

Also they are selling just the system with case, battery, and memory stick itself with no movie or games for $310.

I guess in American why its selling at $249 wow thats almost 100 dollars cheaper. What bundle or stuff do you get.

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
The Target I work at has received about 80 of these so far. Looks like they will be handing out #'s before the store opens. They are also limiting 1 per person. It looks nice, don't know if I'll be buying one on Thursday, but will probably pick one up in the future.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

US residents will receive the same contents in the Canadian Value Pack sans Gretzky NHL (from what I've read, Canadians may be compelled to purchase the Value Pack w/ Gretzky NHL bundle from retailers such as EB Games and Compucentre, though places such as Wal-Mart and Zellers may sell the Value Pack by itself. I'll need to confirm the latter). The MSRP of the Value Pack for Canadians should be CDN$299 (no Gretzky NHL game included); not sure why Future Shop is asking a $10 premium.

CDN$349 for the Value Pack and two games is pretty good; too bad the GST & PST tacks on quite a bit to the total.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

David:

AFAIK, Best Buy is the only retailer offering anything with the Value Pack purchase: a PSP GamePro Guide (includes a $5 coupon good towards any PSP game). Disappointing, no?

Here are the ad specifics that I know of:

Best Buy
PSP Face Armor & Disc Jackets - $9.99
PSP Starter Kit - $49.99
Sony 128MB Memory Stick Duo - $49.99
System Value Pack - $249.99

Free $10 Gift Card with purchase of any 2 PSP games
Free $20 Gift Card with purchase of any 3 PSP games
Free PSP GamePro Guide (includes a $5 coupon good towards any PSP game)

Circuit City
SanDisk 256MB Memory Stick Duo - $34.99 (after $10 MIR)
System Bundle (Value Pack & Twisted Metal) - $289.99

CompUSA
10% off all PSP games

Target
SanDisk 256MB Memory Stick Duo - $44.99

Toys R Us

Not sure about places such as Fry's, as there are none in the Midwest.

Notes:
TRU allotment is based on sales volume for any given location and each is assigned a letter to reflect this. I've read that an 'A' store has received as many as 150 Value Packs, whereas a 'D' store may end up with as little as 30.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
If you spend $299 at BB this week you get a free Reward Zone Card . From he points of buying a PSP and a $50 game you will get $10 in reward certs back, plus you can use the $5 off gamepro coupon

capt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks