What's new

Projector to light a 150" screen (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To Gregg. It is common knowledge that PCs calcpro is innaccurate with this projector(which is why I even said I didn't look into it further).

The largest I've personally seen with the 55 was a 130". Firing on a Screen Research ClearPix grey(0.8) it returned 12fl. Which 12 was just fine. I would assume that on a 1.0 gain an increase of another 20" would remain close.

But i've not personally run across a screen bigger than 130" where the projector chosen wasn't the 75/95.(which there shouldn't be any lumen advantage...according the "specs")

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Gunman, as a professional installer and calibrator : THERE IS NOT A CHANCE IN HELL YOU WILL BE ABLE TO GET 18 fL out of this!!
I agree with Gregg. Great projector, but that screen is way too large. It's just not bright enough.What is your seating distance?

Gunman606

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Gracy
Gregg Loewen said:
Gunman, as a professional installer and calibrator : THERE IS NOT A CHANCE IN HELL YOU WILL BE ABLE TO GET 18 fL out of this!!
Ok... Any sugestions or thoughts, what do you think it would be?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Gunman606 said:
Ok... Any sugestions or thoughts, what do you think it would be?

In my last post:

on the AT screen...my first guess would be 7-9 fL.

Gunman606

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Gracy
Sorry for late reply, traveling... seating 18' and 22' from screen. Anyone have a sugestion on what projector could do the job? I can raid the sound system budget....

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
After checking the "Search By Feature" at Projectorcentral, the 3 best choices appear to be the Epson 5020, 5030, and Panasonic 8000. They will all give you 17 foot lamberts with a 15' throw and 150" diagonal screen(1.0 gain).

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Gunman606 said:
Sorry for late reply, traveling... seating 18' and 22' from screen. Anyone have a sugestion on what projector could do the job? I can raid the sound system budget....
I would seriously consider the Sony VPL-HW models, specifically the VPL-HW50ES, and maybe a higher gain screen before I stepped down to an LCD projector. The Sonys' are brighter but wont have as deep a black levels as the JVCs'. Heres what Art got for this one:
Brightness: Manufacturer claim: 1700 lumens; measured 992 lumens calibrated, and approaching 1300 lumens at brightest (we do not measure for the absolute brightest picture, but the brightest very watchable picture)I can't think of any other quality projector not costing far more, that can match the calibrated brightness of the HW50 projector.
http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony/hw50es/

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I echo Type A. I've been aware most of the year on PC's calc being off on JVC, but most of the time 130" is the ultimate goal.

However, my go-to AT screen is the Screen Research Clearpix. It has none of the "light suck" issues nor does it have any audio attenuation like every other AT screen on the market, but.

They aren't cheap.

Gunman606

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Gracy
schan1269 said:
However, my go-to AT screen is the Screen Research Clearpix.

I been to their web and seems only through dealers? my closest is 200 miles away, do you know of an online reseller?

1.2 gain? Higher?

After reading into all above it seems that 150" is just to big maybe I should go down to 139" and VPL-HW50ES.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Screen Research is person to person sales only. None online.

200 miles isn't that far to do your screen.

Since you haven't said where you are, have no idea who you can use(and I wouldn't know unless you were within 150 miles of Chicago)

Gunman606

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Gracy
I wasn't able to start on my theatre until a few weeks ago and I'm now ready to buy the projector. I now have up to $9k to spend. With the increased $$$ is there a better suggested projector to light a 159" screen? How about the JVC DLA 90? I like what I have read about the blacks on the JVC so that's why I keep coming back to it... willing to go down in size if picture quality would be noticeably improved so...What's suggestions for screen gain, size, and projector combinations do you have?

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I would strongly urge you to get samples of AT screen material before you commit to it. I have paid for larger samples of several types to check it out, punched holes, weave, and "4K" weave and they all have visible texture from typical HT seating distances of 10-15 feet. I'm sure some can get used to it especially if that is all you know but a smooth screen looks so much better to me and I find the AT texture to be too distracting. IMO AT screens compromise the image quality more than a solid screen compromises sound quality because of speaker placement, especially given screen material will also alter the sound, just some less than others.

Barry Tonner

Auditioning
Jim Mcc said:
' Because the longer the throw, the dimmer it will be.'
I know this is an old post, but a a note of clarafication is in order, because it keeps popping up here every once in a while. I don't know why it seems to be hard for some people to understand.
The throw distance, has no bearing on the brightness of the image, it is the size of the image, that changes the brightness. To put it another way, as a projector moves further way, the image gets bigger, and therefore dimmer. There are two separate issues....size of image, and distance to the projector....but only one of the issues affects the brightness.....the size! If the image is kept the same size, no mater the distance of the projector, the image would be the same brightness.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
If the image is kept the same size, no mater the distance of the projector, the image would be the same brightness.

Hi Barry, this is NOT correct. Almost all of these budget projectors have LOW quality lenses. the larger amount of zoom, the less amount of light is allowed through the lense (regardless of screen size). ....just like in camera zoom lenses.

Barry Tonner

Auditioning
Gregg Loewen said:
Hi Barry, this is NOT correct. Almost all of these budget projectors have LOW quality lenses. the larger amount of zoom, the less amount of light is allowed through the lense (regardless of screen size). ....just like in camera zoom lenses.
Sorry Gregg....my statement is absolutely correct. This has nothing to do with the lens, and everything to do with physics. Light does not diminish over distance, only by divergence. That is not to say that different lenses may not affect light in different ways. If the same lense is used, the same rules of physics still apply. In the posting that I'm refering to,...the correct statement should have been 'as the picture gets larger, it will get dimmer......not....'as the projector gets futher away the picture will get dimmer'.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Well, one of us is correct and the other one isn't.

Your comment: The throw distance, has no bearing on the brightness of the image

Is not correct.

While the TD itself will not cause a direct difference in light output, how the internal optics of the lense deal with the throw distance (to maintain the same screen size) will cause a difference in light output.

I guess if you are wanting to have a purely semantical argument on throw distance, then you would be correct, but not correct if you want to factor in how the lense deals with the increased mechanical zooming of the optics.

Perhaps I was mis reading what you were trying say? Not sure, Im currently on pain killers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks