What's new

Need Help With Epson 705HD - Flashing Lights (1 Viewer)

jwh92020

Grip
Real Name
John Hiser
I just received an Epson 705HD projector that I purchased on Ebay. Prior to purchasing it, I spoke with the seller who told me it would light up, but because everything displayed was upside down, he didn't know how to check lamp hours. I paid $150 for it and figured on putting in an aftermarket lamp (under $100) as this would be my outdoor projector. When I turn on the projector, it shows the Epson logo, goes blue screen, then the lamp light begins flashing red and the fan starts to roar. This was never mentioned to me or I would have passed on the unit. According to the manual, it could be the lamp or it could be something else inside the projector. I hate the thought of dropping $70 minimum on a lamp, only to find out it's something worse. At that point, the projector becomes a door stop. Anyone have an idea of some other troubleshooting I can do?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If the manual specifically says the red light flashing is a warning to change the bulb then change it, on my projector you get the same warning lights and it just means the bulb has reached the recommended hours and needs changed, maybe its also the air filter clogged up with dust.

I did a Google and all i could find was this info on service menus and Epsons, use at your own risk, also be aware that sometimes the bulb hours can be reset if the user knows how, the secret service menu should give you that info if it has been changed.

Epson Service Menu
Epson Projector Service Menu Access Method 1
[*]Press the {MENU} button for at least 5 seconds.
[*]Then press the {ESC}, {ESC}, {TELE} & {WIDE} buttons within 4 seconds.
[*]The After Service (AS) Menu will be displayed.
[*]To exit, turn the power off.
[/list] Epson Projector Service Menu Access Method 2
[*]Press the {ENTER} & {MENU} buttons at the same time for at least 5 seconds.
[/list] Epson Projector Service Menu Access Method 3
[*]Using the remote control: Turn the power on.
[*]Set the "Brightness" to max.
[*]Then press and hold the {HELP} button for at least 5 - 7 seconds until the Service Menu is displayed.
[/list]

jwh92020

Grip
Real Name
John Hiser
The manual says the flashing light is the bulb or something inside the projector. It does not stay on long enough to get into any menu. Thanks for the input. I may have to put in a bulb and see what happens. I found a non Epson replacement for $60. Worst case is I sell an "almost new" bulb to recover some $ I spend on it. As for the projector, there is a place in Phoenix that will bench test it for me, Minimum charge - $100. Guess I'll try the bulb and cut my losses.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
At that price i'd buy the bulb, the ones for my projector cost between $350 and $400, i think the seller has been a little untruthful with you but if a new bulb works then all will be good, if it has air/dust filters for collecting dust then try and purchase a new one of those too.

jwh92020

Grip
Real Name
John Hiser
I ordered a non Epson bulb from Amazon yesterday - $65 w/local express delivery. It should be here this afternoon. Like you said, if it works, all will be good. I took out the filter and it is clean, but I blew it out w/an air spray can just to be sure. If the projector works with this bulb, I'll order an OEM bulb and save this for a back up. I've had pretty good experience w/non OEM bulbs but in this case I'd rather have an Epson bulb for regular use. As for Ebay, it all comes down to "you pay your money and you take your chances". Thanks again for your input. I'll post the results after I get the bulb installed.

jwh92020

Grip
Real Name
John Hiser
Installed the bulb, projector seems to be working. The flashing lights are gone, but the "Auto Iris" feature had to be disabled. It was continually clicking off and on. The manual said that this happening would also cause the same flashing lights as a dead bulb. I'm going to use this for a few outdoor showings and if all stays well, I'll buy an OEM lamp. Foxy Mulder - thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks