What's new

PROBLEMS WITH LASERDISC PLAYER MODIFIED TO GIVE A DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT (1 Viewer)

thelasernut

Auditioning
Real Name
John Paine
Hi every one -

I am trying out an old Pioneer LD-W1 Laserdisc player which has been modified for both AC3 and Digital Audio outputs by the MSB Technology Corporation in USA, but I have found a problem with its aftermarket Digital Output modification.

I feel sure I can not be the only one to find this problem so I am looking here for answers ?

When I set my Receiver to AUTOMATIC selection of Audio Signals - it works fine for any of the DIGITAL sources including PCM - DOLBY DIGITAL ( via an AC3 Demodulator of course), and DTS

The problem is the Denon 3802 Receiver will not switch to ANALOGUE when no digital audio is found on the discs.

At first I thought I had just forgotten how to use the Receiver - but I found by disconnecting the Digital Audio Cable from the Receiver - I get Analogue selection working OK.

It seems that there is a signal on the Digital Output socket even when the only audio is from the Analogue tracks, which the receiver takes to be a true digital source, so the Analogue signals are ignored and I have to select the Analogue inputs manually.

I an finding it hard to get information on the specification for the Digital Output signal which will allow Automatic Source selection - but I wonder if the MSB Digital Output Modification predates the standard that allows for this receiver option - or have I just got some stray signal on the Digital output Connector which should not be there ?

Any comments or help from other Laserdisc Users is most appreciated.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I'm not sure how the Denon rec'r set-up works. I think I only have one LD (I think one of the Indiana Jones movies - I think Temple of Doom) that has no digital soundtrack. I have not the disc in many years (and only probably watched it once or twice) and I have gone through tons of equipment changes in both the systems where I have LD players (main and basement) but I seem to remember having to switch inputs to analog too. It was not a big deal to me as I only have about 130 discs and I don't play them tons (I still have about 20 I got at an estate sale about 8 years back I have not gotten around to play)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I've had a multichannel sound system for 11 years now and the 'auto-switching' is just worthless for laserdiscs- I just manually select the main digital input for PCM or DTS, the 2nd digital input for AC3, or the analog inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks