What's new

Problem with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 Blu Ray Disc (1 Viewer)

sgtarmadillo66

Auditioning
Real Name
michael armanini
This is my first post in many years and I hope I have placed this in the right area. Is there a special area for this kind of question? I recently bought the Complete 8 Disc Blu Ray Harry Potter Collection and all the discs played great, except for Deathly Hallows Part 2. A number of times the disc skipped a bit. I went back each time it skipped and it always happens in the same exact places. It doesn't skip ahead much just a few frames, but it is distracting. I have a Sony Blu Ray player and I have not noticed this problem before. Does anyone have any idea if this is a mastering problem or is my player just not reading it correctly. Since all the others films played flawless, I am not certain whether to return it or not. I bought the set at Best Buy.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
First try updating your player firmware. That would be the easiest fix if it's the problem. But since it happens at the same spots, it's probably a bad disc. If the skips still happen with up-to-date firmware, I'd try exchanging it. If the skips still occur with the new copy, then you know it's a player issue.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
In Germany, loads of people have reported issues with the German version of Deathly Hallows Part 2, although the problem seems to be primarily occur with Philips and LG players. There's even a notice on Amazon's product detail page (in German) and lots of reviews state the same issues you're having. http://www.amazon.de/product/dp/B005CNZNIY/

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

First try updating your player firmware. That would be the easiest fix if it's the problem.
But since it happens at the same spots, it's probably a bad disc. If the skips still happen with up-to-date firmware, I'd try exchanging it. If the skips still occur with the new copy, then you know it's a player issue.

I had a similar problem with the blu of Guy Ritchie's SHERLOCK HOLMES (on a Samsung player) and nothing (not even a replacement) fixed the issue. If it's the same issue I have, the film occasionally seems to skip a few frames (always in the same spots) and then go about its merry way. It's not ideal but I learned to live with it as it was ultimately only mildly distracting to me (now had it happened on a "film of my heart" like GWTW I might not be so blase about it.)

I haven't picked up Deathyl Hallows 2 yet (although I will) so I'll see if I have the same problem.

sgtarmadillo66

Auditioning
Real Name
michael armanini
I just updated my firmware a few days ago so I don't think that it the problem. My Blu Ray player is a Sony. I thought I might try my friend's player when he gets back from vacation. It just seems strange that the other 7 disc in the set played perfectly. I have had a few discs that weren't compatible with my Sony player like THX1138 which I couldn't get to load on my player. I also had a strange sound issue with Dark City, but I still have the DVD so I figure I will eventually get a new player and hopefully some of these issues will disappear. Thanks for the input.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Possibly a future firmware update will fix it. Was there a Maximum Movie Mode on this disc? By no means am I an expert but I think it's the player's ability to handle that feature that is causing your problem. I've had a couple of movies (Inception and a couple others) where the disc skips at every point where it would go to a making-of feature if the MMM was activated. Sometimes the skipping has been corrected by a firmware update that I get further down the line and sometimes it isn't.

sgtarmadillo66

Auditioning
Real Name
michael armanini
Yes, there was a maximum movie mode, but there was also a maximum movie mode on Half Blood Prince as well as Deathly Hallows Part 1 and I didn't have any problems with either of those two discs. Thanks for the info though.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Just to play devil's advocate, I'm assuming that your current firmware is much newer than when the Half Blood Prince disc was manufactured so that disc might have skipped if you played it back when it was first released. I've had discs that skipped due to the Maximum Movie Mode and a firmware update that came months later 'fixed' them. A good way to tell if it's related to the MMM is to look at the movie with the MMM on and see if those segments correspond with where the movie skips for you. If it does, it's a very safe bet that that's the problem.

sgtarmadillo66

Auditioning
Real Name
michael armanini
I guess what you are saying is that it might work down the road as newer firmware updates come out. I will try that. I will also check the MMM to see if it happens in the same places. Thanks!

Alabama Smith

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack DeWees
Wanted to see if you were able to get a fix fo the Harry Potter 7.2 blu ray? I had experienced the same issues and upgraded the Firmware on my Sony BDP-580. Haven't tried it again but did you see the same issues when you ran the movie in MMM?

G Garthe

Auditioning
Real Name
Geoff Garthe
I was doing a google search for this issue and it came across this thread. I just picked up the 8 disc set a couple days ago and also have issues with part 2 of the Deathly Hallows. Sometimes it's a small audio glitch (it cut out of a few milliseconds or so), other times it's a small picture glitch (skipping ahead a few frames). After one of the glitches the audio and picture got slightly out of sync, but pausing and resuming cleared that up. I promptly took the whole box set back to where I purchased it and they gladly exchanged it for a new one, but it has the exact same issue and it seems to be skipping in roughly the same spots (there are quite a few during the battle of Hogwarts). I haven't watched all 8 discs, but of the ones I have watched, only disc 2 of film 7 had the issue. My Samsung BD player has the latest software, which I would expect being that it's only a couple weeks old. It seems to me that this is probably a problem with the disc that occurred during the manufacturing process and I doubt there's anything anyone can do about it. What I'm wondering is if the individually sold discs have the same problem. G

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Yes they also have that problem. Warners better get it right when they do the 8-movie special edition set.

TomCathy

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom
I am experiencing the same problem all discs worked great except for Deathly Hollows Part II. I purchased this set at Best Buy in NY on Dec. 23, 2011. Did you have any luck trying to return it?

Alabama Smith

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack DeWees
I sent an e-mail to Warner's Home Video back two weeks ago. I have not received a reply from them about it. It does sound like there are a number of people experiencing this issue with the Deathly Hallows part 2. I am curious to see if the individual disc edition has this issue. My advice would be to have others contact Warners and I will also get in touch with Bill Hunt from the digital bits to see what he would suggest.

Alabama Smith

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack DeWees
Hello all...I did get in touch with Warner Home Video and was able to send in the disc for HP7 part 2. They sent me the return envelope and sent back a new blu-ray disc. I worked great and they have fixed the issue. Just FYI for the rest of you to replace that disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks