1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Prince Valiant (Robert Wagner)?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Nelson Au, May 10, 2004.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

This little title surprised me! It snuck up and is coming out tomorrow, Tuesday. Surprised that there isn't any comment here that I can see about it.

This 1950's film with a young Robert Wagner and James Mason and Janet Leigh I've only seen once or twice on TV Saturday afternoons 20 years ago. It struck me then as a youth to be a fun movie.

It's rich colors and comic bookish look and fun sense reminds me of the Errol Flynn Robin Hood and seems like a nice moive to acompany it.

Any comments? Is my memory of this movie faulty?

Nelson

2. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Second Unit

I have never seen this movie all the way through, but I think your memory is pretty accurate. I want to purchase this release, but only if the audio is 4.0. Amazon say it is 2.0, but they said that about "Anne Frank" which thankfully turned out to be wrong. Has anybody got this release yet and can confirm that it is 4.0?

3. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

ONe site, dvd journal. did a review today, but didn't mention what kind of sound it has!!! Would like to know myself.

4. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Screenwriter

This used to be TV Sunday afternoon staple, many years ago, but I haven't seen it for quite a long time now, and never widescreen. Dumb, but I loved it.

5. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

I just bought PRINCE VALIANT and it looks great but it is only 2.0 stereo :-(

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

My review is up at digitallyOBSESSED!:

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/tre...w.php3?ID=5922

The sound's not bad, but the picture has some serious problems, unless you don't mind severe and constant telecine wobble from side to side. It gave me a headache and nearly made me seasick.

7. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    I thought it was a bit dark in the opening reel, but after that I didn't think it was too bad. But Sterling Hayden's Noo Joisey born Sir Gawain gave me a headache [​IMG]

---
    So many films, so little time...

8. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Remember, this film was early Cinemascope and was rushed into theaters to beat the other two Medieval filmas also in production from other studios - Knights of the Round Table (mgm) and King Richard and the Crusaders (Warner Brothers). Warners has a letterbox master of this that ehy have never shown on cable or released on video.
    These films have one thing in common - great film scores by Franz Waxman,Miklos Rozsa, and Max Steiner. the sets for valoiant were rfeused by Fox in
    Snow White and the Three stooges, along with Sonja Henies old skating rink!!

9. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Joe, you forget BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH, Universal-International's first feature in CinemaScope.

10. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

Waxman's terrific score - particularly during the 'singing sword' fight - is one of the best things about Prince Valiant.

---
    So many films, so little time...

11. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Cool, I'll have to grab a copy!

I like Wagner, I'm not a huge fan, but it's interesting to see his early work. Which reminds me to try to find a copy of his 1956 film that goes against type, A Kiss Before Dying.

12. Thomas T

Thomas T Screenwriter

Fox may have rushed to get Prince Valiant into the theatres first but they didn't succeed. Knights Of The Round Table came out in 1953 with Prince Valiant and King Richard And The Crusaders coming out in 1954.

13. Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman Second Unit

I believe the DVD Savant has a good review of this one.

14. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Shoot, I forgot to mention Waxman's score in my review. I'll have to remedy that. Yes, it's an incredible piece of work and much better than the movie it's attached to.