What's new

Predator 3D coming to Blu-ray in December (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Douglas R said:
I don't know what evidence there is for people to say PREDATOR was soft and grainy on theatrical release. The film had a strong impact when I saw it and I'm sure a soft grainy image would have registered on me. As it is, my recollection is that the film - in 70mm - looked exceptionally good - clear and sharp.
I viewed it twice in the movie theater and I can't recall if it was grainy or not.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Nelson Au said:
Thanks Dave for your insight.

I have the remastered Terminator and I haven't watched it yet. And i was hoping Total Recall would get a blu ray transfer. I'll have to grab that too.
Sure thing.

Remastered Total Recall has a very natural, film-like transfer. It coincides well with the remastered Terminator for Arnold fans. (I think Terminator, Total Recall, and Predator are probably my top three favorite Arnold movies :)). I wouldn't mind seeing a remastered Terminator 2 which I imagine is just a matter of time. That's another Arnold title that hasn't gotten optimal treatment.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The problem with Predator is that the first blu ray release was using an old master made during the DVD era, the MPEG 2 codec is not the real issue, Kingdom Of Heaven used a newer master and the MPEG 2 codec and looks mostly fine, having said that the first release of Predator is in my opinion still watchable but as already stated it could look much better, i have the UK re-release of Total Recall and it does look fantastic with appropriate levels of film grain intact and no obvious over sharpening issues.

The issue with the ultimate hunter edition of Predator is not just DNR and the loss of film texture, you can clearly see some of it has been sharpened up ( edge enhancement ) to compensate for the DNR process, edge halo's can be seen in a number of scenes, it's obvious they have used the ultimate hunter edition look as the basis for this new 3D release, they may have started with an unmolested 4K scan, you need to totally remove the film grain for any 3D conversion, they did have a choice though and could have put some artificial film grain back in to give the movie some texture ala Top Gun but instead they felt the title was strong enough to shift a decent amount of copies on the name alone, they are probably right but i won't buy it.

Terminator 2 badly needs a new 4K film scan and re-release, it might happen, for now i think the best possible edition is the HD DVD edition, i own that one and it's watchable, the Skynet edition is a poorer release, at least i think so, great for extra content but that's it, all releases including the aforementioned HD DVD release come from the same old master, the HD DVD edition is the least molested. ( by digital tools )

They didn't shoot enough coverage shots when Predator was filmed and in a handful of scenes they zoomed in post production, in those shots you will see an increase of grain, no way around that back then, i hope Fox do revisit the title if 4K takes off but here's a thought, maybe the director approved the ultimate hunter edition, maybe he actually likes the smooth ugly processed look, i hope not, Fox did seem to suggest he approved it when they got criticism a few years back.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, the director, John McTiernan, probably had a lot of things on his mind, too.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
T2 is such a big title it practically prints it's own money. Unfortunately, the studio that owns it, Lionsgate, isn't interested enough in "catalog" titles to invest in remastering them. Combine those 2 factors and you've got a film that will basically NEVER be properly remastered. And forget James Cameron - he's too busy (or indifferent) to even take a little time out to oversee another of his highly-requested films reissue on Blu-ray. I still don't see ABYSS making it to BD next year.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Well, Cameron found time somewhere for Terminator to be remastered, I am sure at some point T2 as well.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
cineMANIAC said:
T2 is such a big title it practically prints it's own money. Unfortunately, the studio that owns it, Lionsgate, isn't interested enough in "catalog" titles to invest in remastering them. Combine those 2 factors and you've got a film that will basically NEVER be properly remastered. And forget James Cameron - he's too busy (or indifferent) to even take a little time out to oversee another of his highly-requested films reissue on Blu-ray. I still don't see ABYSS making it to BD next year.
I think it will be Canal + who will eventually pay for any new film scan of Terminator 2, Cameron has already stated he would be open to seeing Terminator 2 get a 3D makeover, that would be an ideal opportunity to re-release a new 2D edition too, mind you we said that about Predator and Fox haven't bothered to give us a new and better 2D edition.

True Lies and The Abyss will hit blu ray next year, i am confident of that. Cameron has supervised these new transfers.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
The problem with Predator is that the first blu ray release was using an old master made during the DVD era, the MPEG 2 codec is not the real issue, Kingdom Of Heaven used a newer master and the MPEG 2 codec and looks mostly fine, having said that the first release of Predator is in my opinion still watchable but as already stated it could look much better, i have the UK re-release of Total Recall and it does look fantastic with appropriate levels of film grain intact and no obvious over sharpening issues.

The issue with the ultimate hunter edition of Predator is not just DNR and the loss of film texture, you can clearly see some of it has been sharpened up ( edge enhancement ) to compensate for the DNR process, edge halo's can be seen in a number of scenes, it's obvious they have used the ultimate hunter edition look as the basis for this new 3D release, they may have started with an unmolested 4K scan, you need to totally remove the film grain for any 3D conversion, they did have a choice though and could have put some artificial film grain back in to give the movie some texture ala Top Gun but instead they felt the title was strong enough to shift a decent amount of copies on the name alone, they are probably right but i won't buy it.

Terminator 2 badly needs a new 4K film scan and re-release, it might happen, for now i think the best possible edition is the HD DVD edition, i own that one and it's watchable, the Skynet edition is a poorer release, at least i think so, great for extra content but that's it, all releases including the aforementioned HD DVD release come from the same old master, the HD DVD edition is the least molested. ( by digital tools )

They didn't shoot enough coverage shots when Predator was filmed and in a handful of scenes they zoomed in post production, in those shots you will see an increase of grain, no way around that back then, i hope Fox do revisit the title if 4K takes off but here's a thought, maybe the director approved the ultimate hunter edition, maybe he actually likes the smooth ugly processed look, i hope not, Fox did seem to suggest he approved it when they got criticism a few years back.
I agree, I think Fox had 3D in mind when they created the UHE.

The Japanese T2 release is said to be the best Blu-ray version, but the price is very high and still stems from the same old master.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Dave H said:
I agree, I think Fox had 3D in mind when they created the UHE.

The Japanese T2 release is said to be the best Blu-ray version, but the price is very high and still stems from the same old master.
There are some caps showing all the different versions and you can compare them, not a great deal in it since they are using the same master but i'd say the Japanese release, the original USA release and the HD DVD versions are alike.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_list.php?hd_multiID=262

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The Skynet version does have the UHE Predator "look," but the lossless audio is a nice mprovement over the original U.S. BD version track.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
cineMANIAC said:
T2 is such a big title it practically prints it's own money. Unfortunately, the studio that owns it, Lionsgate, isn't interested enough in "catalog" titles to invest in remastering them.
Lionsgate are the ones who remastered Total Recall.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
MLamarre said:
Lionsgate are the ones who remastered Total Recall.
As far as i am aware Lionsgate have not released in the USA the new version that Canal + were responsible for, it was Canal + that created the new director approved film scan and encode of Total Recall and it is this version that is superior to all others.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Dave H said:
The Skynet version does have the UHE Predator "look," but the lossless audio is a nice mprovement over the original U.S. BD version track.
That's going a bit too far I think. T2 Skynet edition doesn't have anything like the scrubbing and brightness changes applied to the UHE. It looks reasonably good for the most part, but it could be better if remastered.Similarly, I think Predator could look a bit less dingy and the grain should be finer once Fox gets around to doing it right. I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend buying the 2008 version if you don't have a copy of this movie on Blu - it looks closest to what I recall seeing in the theater upon release.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Robert Crawford said:
I viewed it twice in the movie theater and I can't recall if it was grainy or not.

I saw it a couple of times in the summer of '87 and I do remember it looking quite grainy - especially the night shots and obviously the zoomed-in opticals.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Worth said:
I saw it a couple of times in the summer of '87 and I do remember it looking quite grainy - especially the night shots and obviously the zoomed-in opticals.
You guys have a better memory than me after so many years and movies viewed since then.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
FoxyMulder said:
As far as i am aware Lionsgate have not released in the USA the new version that Canal + were responsible for, it was Canal + that created the new director approved film scan and encode of Total Recall and it is this version that is superior to all others.
They released it in the US as the 'Mind-Bending Edition'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks