What's new

Pre Amp Recommendations please (1 Viewer)

alomb1971

Grip
Real Name
Anthony
Hi,

I am in need of a new peamp to go with my ATI1505. I am looking for something under $1500.00. I have seen an Adcom 860 II for around $1000.00 and also the Outlaw. It will be used 75% music and 25% HT.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
If your primary use is music, have you considered purchasing a stereo pre-amp for your front speakers (instead of a multi-channel pre-pro), then using a receiver to drive your center and surrounds? You can integrate this into your system via the pre-outs on the receiver.

This will give you the most musical performance for your budget (unless one of your intentions is multi-channel surround such as SACD or DVD-Audio).

alomb1971

Grip
Real Name
Anthony
Yeah, I am looking for multi channel sacd and dvd audio capabilities. Any recommendations?

Thanks!!

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
What speakers do you own? Would you consider purchasing your pre-pro used through Audiogon, or would you prefer brand new?

alomb1971

Grip
Real Name
Anthony
I have NHT 2.5I as mains and a matching center. The rears are NHT super ones. I would prefer to purchase new. I did find a NAD T163 for $799.00 is that a good pre amp?

alomb1971

Grip
Real Name
Anthony
Thank you..The Rotel is a very nice unit, but I am kind of leaning towards the NAD, since it can be had new for $749.00 from an Authorized dealer. The Outlaw is nice too at $1099.00. Do you think the outlaw is worth the $$$ over the NAD? I will do some shopping around for the Rotel and see what I can find. I will by something this week, since my amc just died this weekend.

Once again thanks for your time and input!!

Anthony

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
I would personally choose the Outlaw over the NAD. That being said, they are both very good value for the money. Enjoy!

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
What is your SACD/DVD-Audio source? Does it have decent bass management and time alignment capabilities? If so, I would recommend a good analog multi-channel preamp, like the Audio Refinement Pre-5. It goes new for under $1K and there is a used on on AudioGon right now for $525.

I've had a Pre-5 in my system for about a year and have been very happy with it. My source is a Sherwood-Newcastle SD-860 universal player, the amp is a Sherbourn 5/1500A and my speakers are Vandersteen 2Cs, VCC-1, Paradigm ADP-370 rears and an Adire Rava sub.

Joe S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
You choose the NAD, you choose the Outlaw. You win either way.

Another new pre-amp line to check out is the Emotiva line from AV123. Comparable to the NAD and 990 in price/performance with a very unique look. Also the low end offering is $500, which is worthy of a look.

alomb1971

Grip
Real Name
Anthony
Thank You all for your suggestions. I ended up ordering the outlaw 990.

Hopefully, I'll be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks