What's new

Police "Every Breath you take" Hybrid SACD (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I was listening to "The Do Do Do..." tonight on multichannel by accident. I noticed something strange with this track.

The stereo and multichannel tracks are completely different. The "Do Do Do" multichannel is a completely different song entirely from the stereo version...dreamy and wistful in multichannel...quick and fast paced in stereo.
I'd call it "crappy and ruined" in multichannel, but you're absolutely right: the two-channel track includes the original, kick-ass version of "De Do Do Do", whereas the multichannel track features the loathsome, pukeworthy remix.

I'm obviously pleased they chose to put the original version on the stereo track. Of course, I wish they'd done the same for the multichannel, but I suppose this is a way to put all the singles on there without too much repetition.

Generally speaking, I'm enjoying the multichannel remixes on this disc. But I always switch to two-channel for "De Do Do Do". And I always hit "STOP" before the last two tracks ruin an otherwise damn good thing.

KrisM

Second Unit
So close, yet so far. I went to A&B yesterday and they had all of the SACDs and redbook versions except for the one I really wanted, the hybrid classics disc. The girl at the counter(who didn't even know what an SACD was) said that the classics disc was not a regular item and it would have to be special ordered. I think I'll just wait a few weeks and see if it comes in. Their 'special' orders seem to take over a month anyway.

Regards
KrisM

Scott Cummins

Auditioning
Since I don't have a SACD player yet, how does the redbook layer sound?

Also and more important, which version of de do do do, de da da da is on the redbook version of this hybrid disk?

Just wanted to know before I purchase at Walmart for $9.82.

Thanks
Scott

Jim Golden

Stunt Coordinator
Just picked up a copy of EBYT SACD at Bestbuy. The SACD was $15.99 and the DVD-A version was $24.99. Are DVD-A discs generally more expensive than SACD?

Jim

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
just got the Classics SACD. my tin ears tell me that it sounds that little bit clearer than plain old CD ("POCD"?), but not by a whole lot. curiously, one indication of its clarity is that the sounds of the guitar frets being pressed is now more obvious.

to add to the confusion, around here I've seen the new remasters (ie the other albums other than EBYT: Classics) in digipaks, but they're labelled as hybrids. what is going on? as I understand this thread, in the US the SACDs in super jewel cases have been wrongly labelled as hybrids.

these are digipaks, but they have stickers up front saying "plays on both SACD and CD players", the back has all the SACD logos as well as claims to have a CD layer, so: are they actually redbook CDs mislabelled as hybrids, or SACD single-layer mislabelled as hybrids? or are they really actually hybrids? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
In the US, the SACDs for the individual LPs are single-layer, non-hybrid, stereo only & are in super jewel boxes. The CD only versions are in digipaks. In Europe, the SACDs are dual layer hybrid, stereo only & are in digipaks, and are marked limited edition. There are no CD only versions in Europe at this time. In the US, Live is a single, 143 min. long single layer SACD. In Europe, Live is dual layer & on 2 discs. EBYT is a dual layer hybrid in a digipak on both sides of the Atlantic.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
thanks Larry. it would appear that we have the European imports then, although I was at Borders yesterday and saw CD digipaks for the first time.

it all gets a bit confusing when retailers import from all over the place. I suppose that's a good thing though, more choice? at least I can get my mitts on SACD-hybrid Police albums if I want them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks