What's new

Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD Blu-Ray Player buying used at $350? (1 Viewer)

Is the Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD Blu-Ray Player a good BP player and if so is a used price of $350 a good deal? I have the Pioneer VSX-8119hk reciever and two Cerwin Vega! VE12 speakers. Would this player be appropriate and how old is the model? Thanks for any help.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
It's a year old model, though I don't know why one would choose this 1.1 player vs. say a current new LG BD370 or 390 with way more network features.

I ended up buying the Pioneer BDP-120 for $249.00. One question though, the unit came with a 1 gb USB memory stick, what is that for? It plugs into the back of the unit for it's not seen. But I really don't understand why or what it is used for. It set up very easy and has the new Pioneer GUI which is beautiful. I'm stumped though what the external memory is for.

Anyone know?

Originally Posted by Stephen Tu

It's a year old model, though I don't know why one would choose this 1.1 player vs. say a current new LG BD370 or 390 with way more network features.
Is my unit a version 2?

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Hi Dean,

The Pioneer BDP-120 is a Profile 2.0 Blu-ray player. There have been three profiles since the beginning of the format, 1.0, 1.1 (which added Picture in Picture capabilities,) and now 2.0 (which enables BD-Live internet-enhanced content.) 2.0 is considered "final profile," so you should not have to worry about upgrading anytime in the near future.

The 1GB USB stick is required for you to use the BD-Live features, so that the internet content has a place to download.

Originally Posted by Stephen Tu

To store data downloaded from the internet for "BD-live" features.
I guess that's why i have the memory, but what will "BD-Live give me, extra menu choices? That are exclusive to BP discs?

Originally Posted by Patrick Mason

Hi Dean,

The Pioneer BDP-120 is a Profile 2.0 Blu-ray player. There have been three profiles since the beginning of the format, 1.0, 1.1 (which added Picture in Picture capabilities,) and now 2.0 (which enables BD-Live internet-enhanced content.) 2.0 is considered "final profile," so you should not have to worry about upgrading anytime in the near future.

The 1GB USB stick is required for you to use the BD-Live features, so that the internet content has a place to download.
That makes sense. Thanks to all who answer these tech questions so quickly!
Warmest regards,
Dean.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
what will "BD-Live give me, extra menu choices?
Yes, on BD-live enabled blu-rays. Unfortunately 95+% of these extra features are pretty lame. Has potential especially for additional commentary tracks IMO, but other stuff is mostly crap.

That's what I figured. But like you said, I think eventually the ethernet abilities will become more and more important and useful.

I hope so anyway.

Next thing I buy os an Apple TV, I use a brand new aluminum iMac so it will be a good fit. It would be nice to stream my 100 plus movies to my TV.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You could have gotten the one of the LG Blu-Ray players that include network streaming built in (instead of the separate Apple device).

http://www.lge.com/us/tv-audio-video/video/LG-blu-ray-dvd-player-BD370.jsp

This will absolutely be my next purchase.

Originally Posted by David Willow

You could have gotten the one of the LG Blu-Ray players that include network streaming built in (instead of the separate Apple device).

http://www.lge.com/us/tv-audio-video/video/LG-blu-ray-dvd-player-BD370.jsp

This will absolutely be my next purchase.
Thing is I wanted to keep the same brand throughout the stereo's build. I saw this unit, it is impressing. But I have an Apple computer so I wanted to try the Apple TV and because the stereo is built from the Pioneer VSX-819hk I wanted to get the Pioneer BDP-120. Sounds dumb I know, but somehow seeing all Pioneer components makes it look better to me. That's just me though.
Edited by Dean Krouse - 8/11/2009 at 10:42 am GMT

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Thing is I wanted to keep the same brand throughout the stereo's build.........Sounds dumb I know, but somehow seeing all Pioneer components makes it look better to me. That's just me know.

I'm sure many people feel that's not the best reason to buy something but I also have all Pioneer in one room and all H/K ('cept for my OPPO) in another. Whatever makes ya happy . And it does look cool! Sounds pretty good too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks