What's new

Pearl Harbor Announced For Dec Any News On Extras Yet? (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
This question is for David Prior since he haunts this forum (thankfully). It appears that none of the publicity (trailers, commercials, etc.) will be included on these discs. Why was that decision made? The second trailer (not the teaser) is probably the most powerful trailer I have ever seen. In artistic terms, I thought the advertising played a very important role in the perception of this film, both prior to and after its release. I would personally like them on the disc, since they take up little space. But there had to be a reason not to include them. Or am I AFU and they just haven't been included (I hope) in the press releases. Thanks for your time.
Chuck

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Chuck, the teaser and the trailer for Pearl Harbor are among the best I've seen ever. I was strucked in particular by the teaser, the one that uses Hans Zimmer 'The Thin Red Line' score, powerful stuff.
This is just a guess, but as David mentioned above, things are still in production, so you never know, they might be included in the end, remember that this was just the press release.
------------------
F
frank.jpg

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Got to chime in on the trailers here, my thoughts of the movie put to one side, I liked the trailers a lot. In the thread regarding the artcile from USA Today about the DC release, I did voice my concern about a Vista Series release again being void of any trailers.
Now, I understand there were legal issues in using the Thin Red Line cue in the latter trailers (after it was first used in the teaser last summer), so they went with a cut which used music from Graeme Revell's score for The Crow, which then flowed into original music done for the trailer written by Steve Jablonsky. Is there any reason these subsequent trailers can not even be included along with TV spots?
For a movie that was pushed in such a big way across international markets, I'd actually love to see domestic AND international trailers and TV spots in various different languages on the DVD. Japanese trailers and TV spots would be worth seeing!
It's the making of and promotion aspects going into making up the supplements that are making me go for this disc. Pearl Harbour wasnt a movie I hated, nor loved for that matter, I hadn't intended on buying it, so curse you David Prior!
biggrin.gif

Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on August 16, 2001 at 08:56 AM]

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Thanks for the backup, Dan. The ad campaign for this movie was extremely strong. I believe part of the animosity this movie engenders is due to the movie being unable to live up to the expectations. Not completely, of course. The movie had its own flaws (and quite a few of them), but some of my disappointment came from my LOFTY expectations. I agree with Dan. I don't want essays or explanations (or apologies). Just the trailers and commercials. I think it is important to the movie. And in the end, I liked the movie. Thanks
crazy.gif

Chuck
------------------
He had a plan. Maybe you just didn't see it 'til it hit you between the eyes. But, it started to make sense... in a Tyler sort of way. No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide.

Mark E J

Second Unit
David,
Can you tell me if the director's cut will only feature 5 extra minutes or not? Because a guy who claimed to have seen the rough cut of the movie discribed about 40 minutes of deleted footage including scenes with the USS Nevada, the B-17's arriving, and shots of the civilian family members of military personel getting shot at. Ofcourse this guy also said that there wasn't any extra violence and the film would never get a R-rating so now don't know wether this guy is on the level or not.
I know that you are busy and have gone way beyond the call of duty coming on and talking to to us here but I would really appreciate any information you can give on this subject. Ever since I read an online version of Wallace's script I have been wondering about what seemed to be such great scenes such as the Nevada's failed escape. I would really love to know if these scenes were indeed filmed and if they will be presented on the director's cut.
Thanks again for all your hard work you have raised the medium of DVD to a whole new level and your DVD's continue to be the pride of my collection.
Peace
Mark

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
David
Hi and thanks for chatting with us here. I second the others on the absence of the two beautiful and powerful trailers. why ??? Is it a mark of the VISTA serie, cf UNVREAKABLE which lacks also the trailer ?
I think trailers are definitely a must have if supplements are included.
As for the cover art of the director's cut, check my post on the other thread here, the one on the USA today article. I think but this is just me, that the cover art of the director's cut is a bit weird, a bit too "like a tomb stone" looking. I posted two superb posters of the movie, it would/could be very nice and make it more impressive. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/.../029374-3.html
what do you think ?
regards
David

David Prior

Insider
I posted this in the other thread, but I guess it bears repeating: both the theatrical teaser and the trailer will be on both releases of Pearl Harbor.
David-alexander:
The packaging of the Director's Cut is great, but it hasn't been posted. It's in a similar vein to the one at the digital bits, but better.
Mark:
The director's cut is still not 100% finalized. In fact Michael added a shot just yesterday. There are dozens of tweaks, additions and alterations, and each one improves the movie; the attack sequence is very, very intense. But I doubt there will be anything like 40 additional minutes.
Cheers,
David.
[Edited last by David Prior on August 18, 2001 at 02:39 AM]

Mark E J

Second Unit
Thanks alot David, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions like this.
By the way I never really thought that the whole forty minutes would be there, in fact some of the footage that was described shouldn't be in the cut at all, as the extra forty minute version the other guy said he saw was the full workprint with everything plus the kitchen sink thrown in. (except oddly enough the extra R-rated material.)
It was just certain aspects of the cut like the Nevada scene, the arrival of the B-17's and the supposed scene of civilians getting shot at sounded very powerful. However I'm sure that if they were infact shot and worth seeing they will be included.
Thanks again. :)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
quote: both the theatrical teaser and the trailer will be on both releases of Pearl Harbor.[/quote]
Excellent, Smithers!
So, David, in regard to the deleted footage, is there chance of additional material not restored by Bay into the Directors Cut being on one of the latter two discs, or is it simply stuff he'd rather people just don't see?
Also, and forgive me as I never thought I'd have so many questions about this, with that USA Today article stating that in the director's cut, the love triangle element will be played down, would this call for removal of the Faith Hill song from the end titles? Little curiosity...
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on August 18, 2001 at 03:06 PM]

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
David P.,
Thanks for the info on the trailers. That is great news. Another quickie...will they use the TRL soundtrack (heard in the theater) or the Crow SDTRK heard online? Last ?, I promise. Thanks for taking time to share our enthusiasm. Take care all,
Chuck

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I personally liked the score from the Crow when it was on the trailer. Maybe its because I knew of it better. Ive never seen TRL all the way through. Ive seen the Crow dozens of times.
Of course, the only way to please us all is to include both.
biggrin.gif

David Prior

Insider
Hundreds of hours of footage was shot for Pearl Harbor that wasn't used in the film. If there's anything signifigant that Michael doesn't use in the Director's Cut, of course we'll try to use it on the DVD.
As far as the trailer goes, the version with the Thin Red Line cue is definately the preferred one, but there are legal usage issues involved. I think we'll be able to use it, but keep your fingers crossed.
I'm not sure about the Faith Hill song question. As far as I know, it hasn't been discussed. I'll look into it.
Cheers,
David

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Just a quick question David.
I assume that the picture for all the releases will be THX anamorphic, i hopeing that it looks amazing have you seen it yet? (I know i know thats a stupid question)
Also will this be the fist DTS soundtrack to beat Saving Private Ryan, i know Spielberg loves DTS wonder if Michael Bay does.
Anyway David keep up the good work, you are indeed producing some wonderful work

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Once again, David, excellent stuff. Your contributions here are most apreciated.
Dan (UK)

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
I too gotta chime in and thank David (again) for all this wonderful input. I really appreciate your comments David, I'm really looking forward to this release.
Also, I'll be sure to keep my fingers cross for any additional, deleted scenes, and in particular for the teaser with the TRL score, it's THE most powerful teaser I've seen in a long, long time.
------------------
F
frank.jpg

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
David
btw, since you mention the cover art shown on dvdfile for the director's cut dvd is not the final or right one, any clue to give us as to how it will look like ?
wink.gif

I know we (I) can be pushy or quite voicing regarding dvd cover arts (though some cover arts have been very ugly on some dvds) but maybe some kind of opinion from the majority here on the cover art of the director's cut might help you decide on the best one to maximize sales ( believe me, I want this dvd to succeed big time: I liked the theatrical cut and will surely adore the director's cut).
I think those two posters I posted (with the planes) really look impressive, in the spirit of the first trailer ( with the TRLine theme).
can't wait to get the theatrical and director's cut editions.
best
David

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all your great input David! I can't wait enough for this release - I'll probably end up buying both!
------------------
My movies
HTF AFI Top 100 Challenge: 71 70 69 68 films remaining.
Next Up: The Sound of Music
The Price of freedom is eternal vigilance - Thomas Jefferson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks