What's new

Pearl Harbor Announced For Dec Any News On Extras Yet? (1 Viewer)

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
really, if BV could avoid the Spanish and French 5.1 and just put subtitles, there will be enough room for a pristine transfer, a 5.1 dolby and DTS 768kbps, if not a ful rate DTS ( cf THIN RED LINE ).

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not trying to piss in anyone's pool but....
How many here would hold off purchase if DTS is withheld in order to improve the video stream? Is DTS really that important? It seems slightly goofy to me to ignore a release JUST BECAUSE it doesn't include DTS (I've heard comments leveled at "The Phantom Menace" and "X-Men" that followed these lines). I am a big DTS fan, and enjoy DVD's with the format, but I'm becoming very jaded over the attitude many have towards releases that don't carry it. I expect this release to be big, but I don't think it'll have DTS, and certainly not a full-rate track. This isn't a reason to pass it over. Dolby is perfectly capable.
By the way, I don't plan to buy it, but somebody has to stick up for DTS-less releases.
------------------
Women are often attracted to men with money and power. I have neither, and they know it.
[Edited last by Jon D on August 12, 2001 at 11:17 PM]

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Originally posted by David Prior:
LOVED said:
I agree completely with what you're saying here David. I don't have a DTS receiver, so whether a DVD has DTS or not is a mute point for me. I find DD 5.1 perfectly satisfying and I don't think anyone should avoid buying an above-average DVD release just because it doesn't include DTS. In a perfect world we should get both a DD 5.1 release and a DTS release to make everyone happy, but the Studios have to make money by taking into account the lowest common denominator, and in this case DD 5.1 is it.
F

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
One title I will refrain from buying if it does not have DTS is the MUMMY RETURNS! but since the R4 one has it, odds are good it will be so on the R1 too.
As for PEARL, i'll get it if it does not. I admit Iliked the movie a lot, while knowing its flaws ( Bay's movies are guilty pleasures but this one has some soul at least, because of the historical event).
the good attitude is to skip non dts releases when odds are very high that a special dual edition is planned or strongly rumoured. take the DIE HARD collection for instance ( besides, the initial releases were awful).
now with Columbia and the superbits dvds, bets will be taken on which next titles to receive the treatment too :)

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Hehe, you're waiting too jez? I was so tempted to bump this threat to the top, but didn't want to seem to pushy
wink.gif

Can't wait for the news...
F

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
Well about the Superbit's next releases , Region 3 ERA entertainment is releasing Bram Stoker's Dracula , The Patriot and Gattaca all with DTS on them so maybe those
titles are among the new wave.
Also I heard that Columbia is doing Anaconda again so maybe
that title is also used for Superbit.
Anyway I will be buying Pearl Harbor when it is released on
dvd. I am a big fan of Jerry Bruckheimer and IMO he never
made realy bad movies.
I do hope though that Pearl does have a dts track.
If not I would realy be very down
frown.gif

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! That VISTA series only a month later sounds pretty sweet .....if only they would also include the National Geographic documentary with it as well. Otherwise, a pretty impressive set.

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Whoa!
eek.gif

Man if those are the real specs then I can't wait!! The 3-disc Vista Series set looks sweet. I'll be sure to get the one coming with the National Geographic documentary (that way getting the theatrical version), and then pick up the 3-disc set in January for the director's cut.
Are these specs the real ones David? Could you provide more detailed info on what can we expect on the 3-disc set? Will it have both DD 5.1 and DTS?
Man I can't wait...
:)
F

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
HOLY SHIT! I was excited about this dvd BEFORE I came into this thread, now...!
------------------
The Multi Channel Animal's truly, madly, deeply in love with Estella Warren!

jez

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder whats going to be in the directors cut, will it be more like a few mins i.e Armageddon or longer sections of the film.
Any info on this anywhere :)
------------------
"You've done a man's job sir. I guess you're through"
My reviews

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Answer my own question.
wink.gif

From USA Today:
When a DVD of the director's cut of the successful yet critically bombarded war epic Pearl Harbor reaches store shelves on Jan. 15, perhaps it should be retitled "Michael Bay's Retribution." An R-rated version of the story behind the Japanese air attack that launched U.S. involvement in World War II will be contained in a deluxe three-DVD set ($39.99). It's the one Bay wishes could have played in theaters. When Harbor opened in May, he expressed regret that the horrors were muffled by a mandated PG-13, the family-friendly rating required by his agreement with Disney. He said then, "I would have liked to have made this movie more violent."
Now he has. Although the 40-minute sequence of the actual bombing was the most praised in the film, "I think it will have more of a profound effect," Bay says. "The gore that has been interspersed gives you a moment to pause. It makes it more real."
Only four or five minutes will be added to the original's 183-minute running time, but scenes will be cut and replaced with more graphic alternatives that were shot at the same time.
"There will be more R-rated setups in the hospital, the kind of stuff that unsettles the stomach. You'll see that a 50mm round can cut a body in half. You don't need a lot to get the point across."
The language will be stronger, including more racial slurs against the Japanese. The love triangle involving nurse Kate Beckinsale and pilots Josh Hartnett and Ben Affleck will be downplayed, and the focus will shift to the men's friendship. "The DVD cut is more male-oriented," Bay explains. Hence, the addition of a Beckinsale butt shot.
Other features in the DVD collection that has more than 12 hours of extras: audio commentary by Bay, the actors, producer Jerry Bruckheimer and members of the tech crew; a breakdown of the attack sequence; and a segment on the boot camp endured by the cast.
The video and DVD release of the PG-13 version will be available on Dec. 4, and both double sets (VHS, $24.99; DVD, $29.99) will include a documentary on the attack, plus the Faith Hill music clip There You'll Be. Gift editions (VHS, $39.99; DVD, $49.99) will add a National Geographic special.
Bay is urging Disney to rerelease the R-rated version in theaters timed to the 60th anniversary of the bombing on Dec. 7. "It's a shame not to have a chance to see it on the big screen."
As the film closes in on $400 million worldwide, Bay is able to shrug off how Pearl Harbor has been labeled a disappointment. "It is all about people's perceptions." He also hopes that his director's cut will satisfy those who accused him of turning a tragic event into a bloodless video game. With the DVD market exploding, "This is where movies will maintain most of their life."
http://www.usatoday.com/life/enter/movies/2001-08-15-pearl-harbor-dvd.htm#more
------------------
"You've done a man's job sir. I guess you're through"
My reviews

David Prior

Insider
Well, there you have it. One caveat, however; you'll notice that the press release says "All content and running times are tentative." This is because the content is still in production. But what you see on the list is what we're going for, and most of it is already done.
Another thing is the packaging of the Director's Cut version is a little different (read: even cooler) than what's been posted.
I'm really glad to see all the talk about the release going on. We've had the opportunity to create some very informative and entertaining stuff on a scale that's never been done. I'm pretty excited about it.
Cheers, and thanks for your interest,
David

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
David, again, thank you so much for putting so much effort into this project. I was truly blown away with the specs, and even if half of what you guys are shooting for gets done, I'll be a happy camper.
I have one question, was there ever any idea of having both a DTS and DD release, that way allowing for the director's cut to fit in one disc? Or maybe even then it would've been too long for just one without compromising the quality?
In any case keep up the good work, we can't wait to get this one.
------------------
F
frank.jpg

David Prior

Insider
There were several reasons adding an intermission was decided on. Separating the DD and DTS releases was one possibility, but wouldn't have solved all the concerns, so the intermission was really the best course of action.
Personally, I like it even on purely aesthetic grounds; I miss intermissions in movies. They were a casualty of the multiplex, but longer movies benefited from them. Imagine 2001 or Lawrence of Arabia without intermissions. Not quite the same.
Cheers,
David

Roland G

Stunt Coordinator
in my opinion David Prior is one of the few DVD producers who achieves to give a DVD a tone/peronality of its own. Look at Fight Club or The Rocky Horror Picture show ! The Packaging, The Extras, The Menus..it all fits perfectly
It is also good to know that there are still Special Editions that are really special. when i watch Extra Material i want to actually be taken behind the scenes and learn about what the director wanted to achieve and how certain sequences were done, i don`t want to see tones of promotion epks. The Fight Club DVD is in my opinion one of the most entertaining DVDs out there, because of the extensive, interesting and well presented extra material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks