What's new

Paramount Press Release: Star Trek TOS Season One (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don't think these kids can steer.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

The animated DVD's actually look pretty good upconverted. But I bet a blu-ray release would bring out some more detail to the backgrounds (some of which are really great) and give more sharpness to the black line art of the character animation. The animation on the show was limited (though not as much as other Saturday morning shows of the time) but I always liked the overall look of the show.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

Me too, I'd love to see both original and remastered trailers on the set. As a matter of fact, since the original trailers are available on VHS, the 2 episode DVD releases, the TOS season sets and the TOS-R season sets. I wouldn't mind if they just had the TOS-R trailers instead of the original.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Yes, but since I don't have any of the above for most of the episodes (too young, too expensive, too expensive, and didn't want without the originals), but can find the TOS-R trailers from StarTrek.com I'd rather have the old ones. ;)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
How about a compromise: include both sets of trailers and call it a day? Sure, the originals can be found on old discs, the new ones online...but isn't it a whole lot more convenient to have everything in one place?

Besides, they can't take up THAT much space...and this is BD we're talking about, after all. :D

Heinz W

Second Unit

They dropped the price to $77.99 as of this morning.

Having passed on the earlier, pricey DVD versions of TOS my patience has paid off. I have no problem paying this price for Season 1 in HD. It's a good thing the original FX versions are included or this would be a no sale for me.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was checking Amazon out of curiosity for what the pricing is like for this set. They list it at $77.99. Less then $3 an episode.

That's a pretty good deal. You get two versions of TOS, original broadcast and Remastered in Hi-Def, plus the sundries.

The set with the TOS six movies has a higher price of $93.99 for perhaps less hours of content. But $15 per film is really reasonable for BD discs. And plus the sundries.

Release dates are still April 28th for TOS Season One and Amazon list May 12 for the films.

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Best Buy has a new online-only special. If you pre-order the two sets ($99.99 for the movie set, $77.99 for TOS season 1), they take an additional $15.00 off. Of course, shipping and sales tax might apply, so Amazon could still prove cheaper for some. But it's another option.

- Mark

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
And doesn't Best Buy honor or match their web prices? I know you said it was an on-line only deal for the two Trek sets, But times being as tough as they are....

Joe_G

Second Unit

They (BB) do match their own web prices. So how is this BB deal gonna be done? TOS and the film sets don't street on the same date. Would we have to wait until May 12th and pick them up at the same time if we were to do it in-store, if that's even possible?

FYE has TOS up for $79.99 - $69.99 after rebate. If you're a backstage pass member, you can get it for $61.99 after rebate. So far, this is the cheapest I've seen for TOS...if the whole FYE rebate deal is your thing. I currently have this preordered with Amazon at $77.xx.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just checked Best Buy's website for the pricing on the Star Trek S1 BD set. It's listed at $5.00 higher then Amazon, or $77.99 at Best Buy.

But the remarkable thing I found was that they list the episodes and they included The Cage at the top of the list. Just one version is shown. Which breaks with past SD sets that include the full color version and the black and white/color version on the Third Season sets.

Is this a mistake on Best Buy's part? It would certainly be cool to have The Cage now with the First Season set. I suspect it's an error.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Julian for that link to the Digital Bit's review of the Star Trek BD S1 set. I knew it had to be a mistake on Best Buy's part that The Cage was included!

I just read the review and it sounds great! I'm really happy that we have the ability to change from the Remastered CGI effects version to the Broadcast version on the fly and in full HD. That's great.

I'm glad I have held onto the HD-DVD of S1 as he mentions some missing features.

What's interesting about his review of this set is how he says the higher capacity of the BD disc allows for a much better, lower compressed transfer that yields a much higher quality picture. That's great, I thought the HD-DVD was an eye opener for me! I never saw so much detail before on Star Trek, and it was my very first experience with any Hi Def format disc.

A little side note, and I hope you'll excuse this diversion, when I read his comment about how much better the BD disc was to the HD-DVD, I wasn't sure what to think. I don't really follow Bill Hunt or have any feeling for or against his stand on Blu Ray. But I have read past comments that he is very pro Blu Ray and will preach the superiority of it over HD-DVD, which may have clouded his reviews. That point is moot now and I never invested into one format over another. If the BD is really that much better, then I am really happy to hear that! Star Trek got me into HD-DVD and now Blu Ray has me for Star Trek again! Thanks and I hope you'll excuse me for that last bit. I have no real interest in dredging up old arguments about formats. I just had that thought in the back of my mind after I read Bill say the BD was so much better then the HD-DVD version.

I can't wait till the 28th! This is the most anticipated of the Star Trek releases for me, even over the films! Great transfer and great content with the delightful bonus of the broadcast versions.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
He's never "preached its superiority" in technical terms (especially since at the time BD-50s were uncommon); it's been about how a format war was damaging for the industry (it certainly kept me from buying anything hi-def-viable on disc for a few years), and therefore supporting whoever had the better hardware and software support.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for that clarity. I probably only heard part of one side of the story. And I never got into the format war discussions. I know Bill is a friend of the HTF.

It's too bad Bill hasn't gotten over the end of the war. Blu ray won, no reason to keep kicking HD-DVD now. I wish he would move on, and just focus on news and reviews. A mention here and there about HD-DVD when appropriate is fine, it just seems he takes any opportunity to keep fighting the format war.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
I would have thought that offering a comparison to the previous high-definition edition of this season was perfectly appropriate... :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks