What's new

PAL JOEY possible sync issue? (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Italo said:
Hi Tony, just picked up Picnic and Pal joey, been waiting for these to come to Blu for awhile, Twilight Time is going to get a bit of my custom if they keep releasing quality releases of this caliber. Yes I've been around for awhile, I usually just enjoy the erudite discussions rather than the slanging matches on other forums, rather refreshing. @ Chuck checked the Pal Joey disc on my Oppo 83 player, yes there are sync issues on 'The lady is a tramp' number but I actually think it's Sinatra missing the cues rather than the soundtrack being off. For example towards the end where just before he circles Hayworth he's dead on cue, then he's off sync and then he's back on cue again, so I don't think it's an encoding fault. Sinatra being Sinatra, George Sydney probably didn't dare ask for another take ;-) Generally the disc looks very good, print is very clean and colours are spot on but there is a slight lack of definition even in close ups, guessing it looks to me to either be from a lower definition master or maybe it's a second/third generation print, I leave it to better informed members to speculate. Pity about special features as this would have really benefitted from a full commentary, especially since Novak is still around.
There are no synch issues with this transfer. None. And having watched Lady Is A Tramp just ten minutes ago, sitting with Nick Redman, Mr. Sinatra actually lip-synchs perfectly save for one moment, when he's circles around Miss Hayworth and just as he's exiting frame - he's not even singing the right lyrics there - he obviously thought he was off-camera by that point. That is the only moment that has an issue and obviously it's not the transfer.

Italo

Grip
haineshisway said:
There are no synch issues with this transfer. None. And having watched Lady Is A Tramp just ten minutes ago, sitting with Nick Redman, Mr. Sinatra actually lip-synchs perfectly save for one moment, when he's circles around Miss Hayworth and just as he's exiting frame - he's not even singing the right lyrics there - he obviously thought he was off-camera by that point. That is the only moment that has an issue and obviously it's not the transfer.
Yes I agree it's not a transfer issue, I always thought that Sinatra was singing this 'live' to film as it's a great live take but he must have been miming to one done earlier. Give Nick Redman my best and congratulations on setting up Twilight Time, it's a goldmine for cinefiles. Almost spilled my popcorn when he mentioned they're releasing Bell, Book and Candle on Blu, I think I'm falling for Ms Novak all over again ;-) BTW maybe you can ask Mr Redman about the the stereo track on Pal Joey, it doesn't mention it in the booklet but was that the original unreleased original stero track?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The track is clearly derived from mono - we all feel that way. BTW, I got an advance peek at Bite the Bullet, and it's another great Sony transfer - gorgeous.

Italo

Grip
haineshisway said:
The track is clearly derived from mono - we all feel that way. BTW, I got an advance peek at Bite the Bullet, and it's another great Sony transfer - gorgeous.
I tested the Pal Joey disc on my projector and I take back any quibbles regarding image posted earlier, transfer is absolutely gorgeous and BTW so is the transfer on Picnic, both extremely filmlike with a fine sprinkling of grain. No problems with soundtrack either except for Sinatra's obvious faux pas, roll on future TT blu releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks