What's new

Other 70's Detective Shows? (1 Viewer)

SimonTemplar

Stunt Coordinator
I loved Longstreet too. Watching 70s detective shows was a formative part of my youth. I love them and would collect them all if they were out.

ST

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I have a complete alternate set of LONGSTREET with excellent quality, as it aired in Canada on their version of The Mystery Channel. The show holds up very well and it's a shame it only lasted one season.

There are plenty of establishing shots and other location footage shot in New Orleans and this is prevalent in the pilot and first few episodes, but then familiar studio and Los Angeles locations make up the bulk of the shows, which is too bad as the NOLA setting is unique and interesting early on.

The show itself doesn't always have the most original stories, but it is very humanistic and the characters are always fully developed and particularly well acted,continually transcending the inherent gimmick of a blind investigator. One wishes Stirling Silliphant had contributed more scripts in addition to exec producing and it would also have been nice if Bruce Lee had popped up more often than he does, but all in all a fine show.

I've also been able to see HAWKINS recently and that too is well done, but I was very surprised at just how ADULT it is, dealing with situations and language that must have been a bit eyebrow raising when it first aired, incorporated into a drama rather than a satire as was ALL IN THE FAMILY. Although James Stewart certainly made his share of films with adult themes, it is still a bit of a shock to hear him discussing whether or not a victim's hymen was intact.

SimonTemplar

Stunt Coordinator
I know its very unlikely that Universal will do this but I would like to see them go back to season 1 and re do This Case Is Closed in its proper 75 min version rather than the 2 part syndication version with 25 mins of scenes stolen for later episodes. I'd also like to see the pilot on the s1 set, rather than s2.

Best

ST

SimonTemplar

Stunt Coordinator
In the mid 80s the UK's Channel 4 ran all of Johnny Staccatto and it was fabulous so I'd like to echo the desire to see that on dvd. The music score is exceptional.

Best

ST

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Would there be any problem with music issues regarding Johnny Staccato?

SimonTemplar

Stunt Coordinator
I would doubt any music issues with Johnny Staccato as it was all written by Elmer Bernstein for the show as opposed to songs from elsewhere.

Best

David

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I've been surprised how much I've been enjoying Barnaby Jones. I really hope CBS commits to at least one more full season before putting it on ice.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I don't see why they'd put in on ice, hope not anyway. Funny thing is, retro TV seems to be doing extremely well in places like Great Britain, Australia, France and Germany with their own releases there, whereas US studios seem more reluctant with classic stuff and get cold feet much quicker.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Dynasty being a good example, of a show which could overtake the US if the first volume of the fifth season dosen't come out before Monday 21st June (if the fifth season comes out on that date in the UK).

Would like to see Harry O released on DVD.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
VEI will be releasing "The Snoop Sisters" in 2011.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Snoop-Sisters-The-Complete-Series/14324

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
How about THAT as the early leader in the surprise release sweepstakes of 2011? I'll be happy to see it again.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
If that comes to pass, then I will have gotten my two most desired mystery series of the 1970s: The Adventures of Ellery Queen and The Snoop Sisters. I never thought it would happen!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by MattH.

If that comes to pass, then I will have gotten my two most desired mystery series of the 1970s: The Adventures of Ellery Queen and The Snoop Sisters. I never thought it would happen!

You and me both! Great news.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by ToddR2

How about THAT as the early leader in the surprise release sweepstakes of 2011? I'll be happy to see it again.

Will put this on my "May get on DVD" list, as I do like detective and murder mystery shows. Haven't read a lot about this show, but I know Helen Hayes starred in Airport a few years before this series, and three years later would guest star in an episode of Hawaii Five-O.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
You can count me in as getting Snoop Sisters as soon as it comes out.

I'd like to see them release Cool Million as well!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The McMillan And Wife S2 release has a preview trailer on Disc 1 for "Snoop Sisters" and amazingly they use the NBC Mystery Movie intro to plug it, which marks the first time the Mystery Movie open has EVER been seen on DVD in any format.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Originally Posted by Jack P

The McMillan And Wife S2 release has a preview trailer on Disc 1 for "Snoop Sisters" and amazingly they use the NBC Mystery Movie intro to plug it, which marks the first time the Mystery Movie open has EVER been seen on DVD in any format.

In the U.S., anyway. The Japanese release of the 90-minute version of Étude in Black on Columbo contained the full opening.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks