What's new

Original "Outer Limits" coming to DVD from MGM ! (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Agree with you completely, Peter--though "Demon" is the series' high-water mark. (Didn't care for the second season's theme music, either.)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Just in time for my birthday in October. Used to watch this sometime in the mid to late 80's reruns and preferred it to Twilight Zone.

Question on the new series, I really only saw eps from one season the one where aliens have infiltrated the government
, what season was that? I really liked several of the eps I saw.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Count me in. Let's hope that the sales figures will spur MGM to release the second season of TOL. Till then, I'll have to enjoy "Demon With A Glass Hand" on laserdisc. And I love the music in that one, it greatly enhanced the mood of the piece.

There was one very strong episode for me and I think it was a part of the New Outer Limits from many years ago. It may have been on the Network then. It starred Andrew Robinson as President Kennedy. A time traveller goes back to that day in Dallas in 1963 to witness the event. I think he gets carried away and saves Kennedy and this creates a quandry for Kennedy as the traveller explains what he did. I wonder if that is in the Best Of Sets of the newer series.

At any rate, as in Star Trek, I will own the Original Series.

Nelson

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jason-

I do recall seeing it in the 80's. Makes sense it was The Twilight Zone of that era. Although I don't remember it was TZ. Doesn't matter, it was a good episode to me!

Nelson

Jodee

Screenwriter
Does anyone have an episode listing yet for the "Best of" New Outer Limits discs?

They have these up for pre-order @ DVD Empire, and though they don't list episodes they do list a few stars. So I can surmise that some of these will be:

Time Travel & Infinity

A Stitch in Time - Amanda Plummer

Deja Vu - Kevin Nealon

Sex and Science Fiction

Caught in the Act - Alyssa Milano, Jeremy London

Skin Deep - Antonio Sabat Jr.

I'd love to see a complete listing, though. Or are there only two eps per disc?

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Need help on New Outer Limits:

Amanda Plummer: Stitch in Time.

Is this the one where she goes back in time and stops murderers and rapists? She was also in another one where she is being tried in the future for using technology (Charleton Heston is on the Supreme Court - with other notables).

Which one involves:

Nazi war time travel and 1960's time travel (new trainee tries to prevent father's death in campus bombing).

Randy Schissler

Stunt Coordinator
I'm worried about this 8 episodes per disc. Won't the compression quality take a major hit?
I wondered about this too, 32 episodes on only 4 disks? Maybe the fact that it is black and white, only mono audio, and probably no extras, means that the picture quality won't be degraded.

At $80 for the set, I'll be buying it as soon as it is released.

As for the new series, I probably won't be buying. While some of the newer episodes were really good, there were a lot of duds, and several that were really just cut and paste jobs from other episodes. It just doesn't have the same mystique as the original series. Yes, I can remember as a young child in the '60's, cowering behind a chair while catching frightning glimpses of the original series on our family TV.

--Randy Schissler

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Was this a ½-hour or 1-hour show?
If an hour, then I too will worry about overcompressing (which was a question on some of the SG-1 discs, too).
If a ½-hour, then it probably will be all right. Dark Shadows put 10 ½-hour episodes onto each disc with no real problems other than deterioration of original elements (I reviewed that one for TVShowsOnDVD recently).
32 eps on 4 discs means 8-per-disc. Do the minutes math! :)

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I would think you'd be able to get more space because there isn't any color info to store. Remember, the DVD forum went with 4:2:0 color because 4:2:2 took WAY too much space.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

David: outer limits was indeed an hour long show.

I will be picking up the first season of Outer Limits come september. The 8 episodes per disc puzzles me as it does a few others. I hope it is 4 per side.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
David: outer limits was indeed an hour long show.

That's what my recollection was; thanks for confirming it.

MGM hasn't used DVD-18's that I recall, but they have definately used a bunch of DVD-14's lately (dual-layer on one side and single-layer on the other). Perhaps that is the route they will go.

Otherwise, I'll be eyeing this very carefully for compression issues.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Larry--

Yes, that was the episode you describe with Amanda Plummer. It was an excellent episode that also starred Michelle Forbes (Ensign Ro from ST:TNG). The second one you mentioned with the Supreme Court is a two-part clip show called "Final Appeal."

There were several episodes that involved the same time traveler you mention. One was the excellent Nazi episode "Tribunal". He also shows up in a Civil War episode called "Gettysburg". The one with the trainee in the 1960's was a recent episode called "Time to Time".

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Jodee:
Thanks -- I completely forgot about Michele Forbes (a cop - right?) and the Gettysburg episode - which I liked very much (except for the ending - I like clean good endings).
:)
the endings for Stepford Wives or Reincarnation of Peter Proud still bother me!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks