What's new

Onkyo TX-NR414 + Wharfedale DX1 HCP doable combo ? (1 Viewer)

Sara Caelen

Auditioning
Real Name
joeka sadoika
Hi,
I have a question concerning the audio for my new tv ST50 from panasonic I just bought. I have looked into soundbars and home theaters in a box and I think they are not the thing for me.
I prefer a 5.1 (not interested in 7.1) with an AV receiver now it became quite clear that basicly a good sound system everything combined costs more then my tv of which I was not aware :) (its also abit overkill sinds my living room is a small space).
So I decided to go for a simple receiver with as little extra frills but that would still get the job done for very simple 5.1 speakers. Namely being the Onkyo TX-NR414 http://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/products/tx-nr414-75913.html and Wharfedale DX1 HCP http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/Products/ProductSeries/tabid/77/PID/268/language/en-GB/Default.aspx
The main question I have about these 2 in combination, since I know as close to nothing about audio, is am I missing something important that I should know why this would not work well together (I compair this to pc parts not being compatable or whatever). Or if there are better alternatives in same price range. I do have to add I live in europe which apparently means I can't buy alot of the beautifull options out there :) including alot of pioneer or jamo sets I wanted originally.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The only think that really matter when matching amps and speakers is the speaker impedance. The Wharfdales are 4 ohms, which unfortunately is the problem area. Most receiver handle 6-8 ohms. You have to go up in models to get support for 4 ohm speakers.
Some people say that as long as you don't play it loudly you'll be fine. What happens with modern receivers is they'll go into protection mode and shut down. (Older amps could be damaged.) The 414 manual says just that, don't play too loudly. Making the situation a bit worse for you is that the Wharfdales have a relatively low efficiency rating (83 I think, I closed the manual).
So you have to make a call, go with the 4242 and probably be okay. Or spend more and get a 4 ohm capable receiver.
I wouldn't feel too bad about being in Europe. England is known for manufacturers of great speakers, Wharfdale among them. Jamo rep has gone down in recent years, and Pioneer is not highly rated for speakers. (The Canadians have some good speakers, so you're a bit out of luck there.) The US seema to have some good sub manufacturers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks