What's new

Onkyo HT-S5100 7.1 HELP with setup Please (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Did you bother to tell him your AVR doesn't take the audio off the HDMI?The CORRECT way to use the switch, cause, again, your AVR doesn't take audio off the HDMI...Your three sources to the switch. Switch to the TV with HDMI.switch toslink to the AVR.Cause, AGAIN, your AVR doesnt take audio off the HDMI.

nyg052003

Agent
Real Name
charles
schan1269 said:
Did you bother to tell him your AVR doesn't take the audio off the HDMI?The CORRECT way to use the switch, cause, again, your AVR doesn't take audio off the HDMI...Your three sources to the switch.Switch to the TV with HDMI.switch toslink to the AVR.Cause, AGAIN, your AVR doesnt take audio off the HDMI.
im pretty sure I did as to why I would need the switch in the first place. So the way you are saying to use it, the tv isn't the end of the switch and won't dumb it down to 2.0? I definitely want to achieve at least 5.1 and wish I could find a switch reasonable that would do 7.1. I need to go and listen to the differences from a 5.1 setup to a 7.1

nyg052003

Agent
Real Name
charles
Also, just thinking about maybe , just maybe adding to this Onkyo stereo system vs trying to sell the whole thing or just the receiver and buy another receiver, I have been thinking about maybe getting more bass in there anyway. I haven't done the room configuration setup yet which will automatically setup the system and crossover points so maybe I will like how the system, mainly the sub , sounds after I have done that. Right now it's not that deep of bass. My older model Sony from 2001 sounds better overall , the sub sounds better , but it is in a 12x13 room vs the 18x21 mancave and also the crossover points are set as I manually set them.

Anyway if I don't like the way it totally sounds as for deep bass after I do the configuration, I would want to possibly add a few more speakers, maybe even just one. I would need something to push that extra speaker most likely a 10 or 12 inch. I wouldn't need another receiver and I guess this idea wouldn't work since it would be the receiver that would have the usb port, Bluetooth capability and all the things I'm trying to do achieve right now right? An amplifier won't do that correct? Don't get me wrong I don't have to have the Bluetooth or anything but do want to achieve 5.1 at least, and maybe 7.1

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only native 7.1 is on Blu ray. Everything else is DTS Neo(which I don't think you have) or DPL IIx(which you do have).

How you do get this...
"So the way you are saying to use it, the tv isn't the end of the switch and won't dumb it down to 2.0?"

From...
"Your three sources to the switch.
Switch to the TV with HDMI.
switch toslink to the AVR."

The TV is the end of the switch...cause you are sending HDMI from the switch to the TV.

nyg052003

Agent
Real Name
charles
schan1269 said:
The only native 7.1 is on Blu ray. Everything else is DTS Neo(which I don't think you have) or DPL IIx(which you do have).

How you do get this...
"So the way you are saying to use it, the tv isn't the end of the switch and won't dumb it down to 2.0?"

From...
"Your three sources to the switch.
Switch to the TV with HDMI.
switch toslink to the AVR."

The TV is the end of the switch...cause you are sending HDMI from the switch to the TV.
what about my ps3 being a blue ray player? Also thinking about getting a ps4 as my son has taken over my ps3

so lastly just to confirm, from what you just said, it will be dummed down to 2.0 being the tv is at the end of the switch lol?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your current "7.1" is 5.1 DTS/DD over toslink and using DPL IIx(or if this AVR has it...DTS Neo*) to expand the 5.1 to 7.1.

If you buy a newer AVR with HDMI audio...you will have the native 7.1 lossless(DTS HD/Dolby True HD/LPCM) track.(which you have absolutely no access to with your current AVR)

*Most of the newer AVR that have DTS HD-HR/MA and Dolby True HD also have DTS Neo(but no...it is not a complete given)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Basically the point I have repeatedly attempted to make...

What you are wanting to do with hoops, hops, skips and jumps with your current AVR...

Can be accomplished simply with a newer AVR under $250. And a newer AVR will do things your current AVR simply cannot do...because those things were not even "known about" when your AVR was new.

Retire your old AVR to make your life easier.

I am done here unless you want help with a newer AVR that will fit your needs.

nyg052003

Agent
Real Name
charles
schan1269 said:
Basically the point I have repeatedly attempted to make...

What you are wanting to do with hoops, hops, skips and jumps with your current AVR...

Can be accomplished simply with a newer AVR under $250. And a newer AVR will do things your current AVR simply cannot do...because those things were not even "known about" when your AVR was new.

Retire your old AVR to make your life easier.

I am done here unless you want help with a newer AVR that will fit your needs.
well see the thing is I have had that system in the box brand new since May 2008 and just took out of the box a few wks ago as my original plans for it changed. Now that I did hook it up and to be honest, after listening to it bout an hr ago using a 3.5 mm stereo male to rca cable from my Samsung galaxy 3 to the receiver, I must say that it sounded damn good. I know the 2001 Sony system from rca audio like watching a movie on laptop to watching a movie on ps3 via hdmi and toslink, it is a tremendous difference. So I am very sure that I will be satisfied with my current setup. I will just go ahead and hook it up the way instructed so that I will get 5.1

if my Sony wasn't getting 5.1 and I was pretty satisfied, I'm sure I will be with this onkyo model. So in that regard, its hard to retire something when I haven't had it installed all of that time and its pretty much new to me still and like I said earlier I loved the way it played via cell phone so I'm sure when I connect my ps3 I will be very very happy.

thanks for your help

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks