What's new

Olds Aurora (1 Viewer)

Does anyone own or have experience with the Oldsmobile Aurora? I looking at pre-owned, 2001 or newer.

Thanks.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
V-8 and really tough on gas!

I was looking at a few back in April until I found out it only came in a V-8

Brent

ken thompson

Second Unit
They come in a V6. Its the 3.5 or something. The V8 is the 4.0. The top of the line ones are very plush. The V8 is a derivative of the Northstar in the Caddie. My father leased one for a few years and he loved it. I liked it too.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Yes, the v6 is a 3.5. The 4.0 shortstar or "mini-northstar" is the V8, both Olds. As Ken mentioned, the upper end models are surprisingly "plush." The draw-back being the dreaded oil pan (parting seals) replacement, a monumental job. Be sure if you opt for the V8, to check for oil leaks thoroughly.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The Aurora and Riv shared the same chassis. The Riv has been discontinued. Riv was available with normally aspirated and supercharged 3.8 pushrod V6--one of GM's most reliable engines. Aurora got 4.0 V8 and, later, a 3.5 V6, both DOHC 4 valve per cylinder and derived from the Caddy Northstar.

The Aurora/Riv platform was touted as having European type torsional stiffness allowing for more precise suspension setup.

I could be wrong but I believe the same shell has spread to the Buick Park Avenue, which with the supercharged V6 and "touring suspension" is a real road car.

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator
I don't get Olds ad campaign - the ghost of Harley or something - bad enough most Olds drivers are just that - old, now they have a guy (old) who's so old he's dead - man GM is so screwed.

Devin U

Second Unit
I had a Intruigue with the 3.5. I was the kind of guy who liked to change my own oil, but I couldnt get a filter or even a oil changing place around me to carry one. I had to take it to the dealer for oil changes. Id stick with the 4.0 and get a warrenty.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I don't get Olds ad campaign - the ghost of Harley or something
That's actually an ad campaign for Buick.

Only goes to show how effective those ads are. I have no idea who Harley Earl is and, frankly, I don't care. Buick is another nameplate associated with old people.

It's a shame about Olds as it's the oldest nameplate in the U.S. It's a bit of history wasted by GM's lame custodianship of its marques. Saturn is a dud, Geo was a joke, and now Olds is being left to die on the vine. The demise of Plymouth is another example perpetrated by Chrysler. The next to go is likely Mercury.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea who Harley Earl is and, frankly, I don't care. Buick is another nameplate associated with old people.
I believe he was a designer back in the day. I'm sure the people in their target market (old people I assume) know who he is and are thrilled he's been reincarnated to build them a new car.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Harley Earl is one of the main problems with GM's corporate culture. He was the one who elevated "style" above engineering and quality at GM. Remember tail fins and phony wire wheels? They are still living with the consequences.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
My wife and I own a Aurora. We are 3 years into our loan, and it has depreciated so much we are stuck with it. I keep trying to convince my wife to get rid of it for a nice A4, but she loves it. I personally can't stand the car. I think it is a dog for having a V8, and it labors in turns.

I drove a used 5 series the other day and would take that in a heart beat. Luckily at 80k miles we haven't had the dreaded oil problem, but things are quickly going wrong.

Brandon

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I think he means that he won't get enough out of it at sale to support the purchase of a different vehicle.
Exactly. These cars have gone down in value so quickly it isn't even funny. I would love to get rid of it, but am not willing to take a 3-4k hit on it.

Brandon

That's what I'm hoping. It does suck for someone who purchased new, but maybe I will get a good deal on one. I've test driven a couple of the 2001 4.0 w/all options and about 40k miles, they are asking $16,000 - $19,000. I think original list was about $35,000. One concern though, what is this oil problem a few people have mentioned?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks