Olds Aurora

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Craig Dulany, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Craig Dulany

Craig Dulany Extra

Does anyone own or have experience with the Oldsmobile Aurora? I looking at pre-owned, 2001 or newer.

Thanks.

2. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Calling Jack Briggs! [​IMG]

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

V-8 and really tough on gas!

I was looking at a few back in April until I found out it only came in a V-8

Brent

4. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

They come in a V6. Its the 3.5 or something. The V8 is the 4.0. The top of the line ones are very plush. The V8 is a derivative of the Northstar in the Caddie. My father leased one for a few years and he loved it. I liked it too.

5. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Yes, the v6 is a 3.5. The 4.0 shortstar or "mini-northstar" is the V8, both Olds. As Ken mentioned, the upper end models are surprisingly "plush." The draw-back being the dreaded oil pan (parting seals) replacement, a monumental job. Be sure if you opt for the V8, to check for oil leaks thoroughly.

6. wally

wally Second Unit

7. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The Aurora and Riv shared the same chassis. The Riv has been discontinued. Riv was available with normally aspirated and supercharged 3.8 pushrod V6--one of GM's most reliable engines. Aurora got 4.0 V8 and, later, a 3.5 V6, both DOHC 4 valve per cylinder and derived from the Caddy Northstar.

The Aurora/Riv platform was touted as having European type torsional stiffness allowing for more precise suspension setup.

I could be wrong but I believe the same shell has spread to the Buick Park Avenue, which with the supercharged V6 and "touring suspension" is a real road car.

9. Paul O

Paul O Stunt Coordinator

I don't get Olds ad campaign - the ghost of Harley or something - bad enough most Olds drivers are just that - old, now they have a guy (old) who's so old he's dead - man GM is so screwed.

10. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

I had a Intruigue with the 3.5. I was the kind of guy who liked to change my own oil, but I couldnt get a filter or even a oil changing place around me to carry one. I had to take it to the dealer for oil changes. Id stick with the 4.0 and get a warrenty.

11. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

13. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Harley Earl is one of the main problems with GM's corporate culture. He was the one who elevated "style" above engineering and quality at GM. Remember tail fins and phony wire wheels? They are still living with the consequences.

14. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

My wife and I own a Aurora. We are 3 years into our loan, and it has depreciated so much we are stuck with it. I keep trying to convince my wife to get rid of it for a nice A4, but she loves it. I personally can't stand the car. I think it is a dog for having a V8, and it labors in turns.

I drove a used 5 series the other day and would take that in a heart beat. Luckily at 80k miles we haven't had the dreaded oil problem, but things are quickly going wrong.

Brandon

15. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

Brandon, What does the car's rate of depreciation have to do with you being stuck with it?

16. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    I think he means that he won't get enough out of it at sale to support the purchase of a different vehicle.

17. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

18. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

Then by those standards the Aurora would make a great used car purchase.

19. Craig Dulany

Craig Dulany Extra

That's what I'm hoping. It does suck for someone who purchased new, but maybe I will get a good deal on one. I've test driven a couple of the 2001 4.0 w/all options and about 40k miles, they are asking $16,000 - $19,000. I think original list was about $35,000. One concern though, what is this oil problem a few people have mentioned?