What's new
World Wide Stereo

Older Samsung and BLu-Ray (1 Viewer)

John Burton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I'm torn over which Blu-ray to buy. I have an older Samsung DLP set, 720p with no HDMI. I really like the Panasonic, and I don't believe the PS3 will play nice with this set. I have a DVI input, and some componet connections open, but I'm afraid I will not be getting much better picture from these players on my set. Anyone have a simular set-up?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
I bought and still have the first Samsung DLP set which came out in 2002 (HLM-5065w). Right now I have the Samsung BDP-1000 connected to it via component and it looks wonderful. Trust me, you will not be disappointed with the 720p picture. I also have the Panny, but that was never connected to this DLP set. As far as HDMI to DVI, I had a Denon 2910 upconverting player hooked up to it previously and there were no HDCP issues with it. Can't say if that will be the same with BD players, but component will give you the same picture quality anyway, sans the audio through one connection.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My set only has DVI and I am using it with a HDMI to DVI cable and it works fine. You do need to make sure your DVI connection is HDCP compliant though, as I am not sure if all are.

micah323

Auditioning
Real Name
micah
I have a sony 70" xbr 950 that is 1280x720. Like you I was worried how much improvement there would be. I just got the samsung 1200. I am connected using the monoprice hdmi->dvi and the picture is beautiful.

Apocalypto is amazing on this set!!! Hard for me to believe that 1080p would be a dramatic difference, but am hoping it is for when I upgrade in a few years.

Jump in. You wont be dissapointed!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks