1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

'Oklahoma!' & 'The King and I' Blu-Ray's announced for October 7

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Doug Bull, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    ClassicFlix have just announced the separate individual releases of 'The King and I' and 'Oklahoma!' for October 7.

There is no word about 'Carousel' or 'State Fair'
    The Oklahoma! release will feature both the Todd-AO and Cinemascope versions.

The big question of course will be "The King and I"
    What will we get?
    I'll be waiting with great anticipation.

Doug.

2. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Well-Known Member

Byron
    I'm hoping Fox has listened to the complaints and revised "The King and I", but somehow I doubt it.

When this boxset was originally announced, it was outlined that both "Oklahoma!" and "King..." would also be getting stand-alone editions to coincide with their anniversaries. Nothing was mentioned about "Carousel" or "State Fair", which may mean that they are exclusive to the boxset, but maybe stand-alone editions will come next year.

3. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

What was the problem with K&I?

4. Mark Mayes

Mark Mayes Well-Known Member

Mark Mayes
    kingandiiiiiii.jpg

The unavoidable blue wash that permeated the film.

5. Robin9

Robin9 Well-Known Member

Robin
    This is the announcement I've been waiting for. I had no intention of buying the box-set, partly because I already had some of the titles and partly because of the flawed transfers. The one disc I was really eager to have was the new Todd AO version of Oklahoma! and that's the disc I'll now buy.

I doubt very much that I'm the only person who thinks this way.

6. DP 70

DP 70 Well-Known Member

Derek
    I also hope we get a new version of K&I.

MatthewA and Everett Stallings like this.
  7. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly. If the blue is fixed, I'm in; if it isn't, I'm not. I like blue, but not in faces!

8. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Count me in for O-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-klahoma!

9. haineshisway

haineshisway Well-Known Member

Bruce
    Someone thinks there is blue in the still of Deborah Kerr's face. I really must be color blind because I do not see a blue wash that covers that entire image - her hair seems to be red, her face tones seem to be face tones and the walls seem to be washed with Leon Shamroy's beloved blue light.

That said, neither edition (DVD or Blu-ray) seems correct to me for various reasons and there is certainly room for improvement, but anyone who thinks that improvement will come in this single version is, well, not thinking clearly :)

10. OliverK

OliverK Well-Known Member

Very good, depending on how much the box set comes down it is possibly better to just get Oklahoma for a large format fix :)And unless Fox fixes it I will gladly pass on that very weird looking Blu-ray of The King and I.

11. Rick Thompson

The blue is actually most pronounced on Terry Saunders (Lady Thiang) during "Something Wonderful." It's annoying throughout the film, but really jarring there. She looks as if she just got off a spaceship from some other planet.

12. Konstantinos

Konstantinos Well-Known Member

Konstantinos
    Maybe some screenshot comparisons will help you:
    http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=4391&disc2=4392&cap1=40835&cap2=40841&art=full&image=5&hd_multiID=1797&
    action=1&lossless=#vergleich
    http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=4391&disc2=4392&cap1=40827&cap2=40838&art=full&image=2&hd_multiID=1797&action=1&lossless=#vergleich
    http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=4391&disc2=4392&cap1=40825&cap2=40836&art=full&image=0&hd_multiID=1797&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

Look eg. in te 2nd one how the sleeves and collar - which I'm sure were white - look light blue..
    Unfortunately it seems there is no pure white in the film!!
    Everything that was once white has turned to light blue.

[​IMG]

13. Mark-P

Mark-P Well-Known Member

Mark Probst
    For the love of God, do we have to go through this all over again? We all know about the different color schemes of the various releases and posting new screencaps accomplishes nothing. This thread is supposed to be about the stand-alone releases of these two films and I would be very surprised if they are anything but the exact same discs from the box set.

ahollis, nara, MatthewA and 1 other person like this.
  14. OliverK

I think one link that points to the some caps is good for people who do not want to wade through the pages of the other thread and nobody is forced to watch the comparisons as they are only links.Other than that I agree that no further back and forth is necessary, I will now patiently wait and see if the standalone version of The King and I will be different. I strongly doubt that it will be but maybe Fox surprises us.

15. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    Have they ever done so in the past at such a short interval of time? How long did it take to make this transfer in the first place?

16. OliverK

To my knowledge this never happened "only" because of picture quality concerns.This is why I think it is not realistic to expect this to happen in such a short timespan.

17. Konstantinos

Konstantinos Well-Known Member

Konstantinos
    Well, apparently not all, since I was responding to someone that didn't know yet what's wrong...

18. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Premium
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    It's now over twenty years ago but there *are* precedents for this at Fox Video: in the early 1990s, just before Robert Harris and Company restored it, MY FAIR LADY was given its initial letterboxed release on laserdisc by Fox Video, which had the rights in those days. There was such a hue and cry similar to this year's release of THE KING AND I over the electronic processing and extreme edge enhancement that Fox immediately reprocessed the transfer and placed a tiny blurb on an otherwise identical box stating "Remastered Edition."

Likewise, after ardent fans complained about the excessive noise reduction and orangish color in the laserdisc box set transfer of THE SOUND OF MUSIC, the same transfer was given another processing that corrected matters just a bit for its bare-bones release a few months later.

So anything is possible. Especially if the corrective work can be done without touching any film elements.

19. OliverK

Very cool, these were also large format musicals and nobody will have to necessarily touch film elements to change the color palette of The King and I. I am just hoping that there is someone at Fox who still remembers these two precedents and acts accordingly!

20. Rick Thompson

If it's anything like working in Photoshop, finetuning the digital file they already have is simply a matter of loading the digital file onto the computer, backing off the blue, and then saving the file. No need to touch the original film elements any more than you need to rescan a photo to change color balance. That's supposed to be the great benefit of working digitally.