What's new

*** Official SPEED RACER Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thought the portrayal of Spritle and Chim-Chim was pretty spot on to the cartoon. Including that sequence where they fantasize they are warriors on the cartoon they are watching.

I read an interesting review on a blog that spoke of the seemingly conspiratorial effort of so many critics to spew negative comments about Speed Racer that it's killed all interest in the film. The blog's writer couldn't understand the negativity, he loved it. He's also a Hollywood special effects CGI artist. (Not on Speed Racer) What he liked about the film is the heart, humor, family values and loving homage to the cartoon series.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I've only seen three (didn't go to Narnia), but of the three I saw, I liked Speed Racer the best. And it's not even close :)

I did finally see The Art of Speed Racer in stores today and saved myself some money. 75 pages of art (some just PR images), and about three times that of just script. Terrible. Too bad, as I loved the design of the film, and was hoping for something comprehensive. No chance of that now.

makulay

Auditioning
Real Name
oscar
since the minute i heard about speed racer being a movie, i got excited... then, i got more excited after watching it. what a great and funny movie. :D
BTW, new here!

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I caught this again cuz a few friends wanted to see it. Holds up very well. I'd forgotten how emotional the ending was.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Speed Racer". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Speed Racer" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Took in what was very likely my last showing for the theaters. I'd never seen a feature film in IMAX before, but this was available (some distance from my house), and it certainly warranted a trip.

First, IMAX. I wasn't sure what to expect since IMAX cameras shoot with greater resolution than most feature films. I wasn't sure how the image would translate to the larger screen. I needn't have worried. It was as sharp as I've ever seen a movie look. Almost comparatively like watching HD media at home versus SD media. Sound system was a blast as well. All of this allowed me to focus on the movie pretty tightly, having seen it twice before.

But does it hold up? I rarely see films in theaters more than twice anymore, because I start to notice nits or flaws in them much more easily, and that sort of deflates the experience. That's no knock on any of the films, just me.

So it was with a bit of trepidation that we started the film. I'd talked it up a lot at work, and managed to convince one whole person to check it out with me (I asked more than TEN :) ). How stupid would I look?

Fortunately, not at all. I'm probably even more content with the film now than I was after the initial viewing. With a bit of familiarity with the events, I spent some time looking at the margins of the film, or focusing on the mechanics of the race cars and their interactions. Like any truly well-crafted film, Speed Racer really holds up to scrutiny. It's got a strong script, with a solid story structure. The opening sequences and closing sequences (first and last 15 minutes) are so well directed and edited that it's nearly impossible to not be sucked into them. The amount of story material and characterization piled into the opening is amazing. And the way in which it is presented is refreshing and energetic. The relationships are introduced through some touching vignettes, each tying into the race portion of the present. It's absolutely top-shelf filmmaking, in service of an adaptation of a 45 year old cartoon :) It's a weird marriage. The bookend to the opening sequences is the brilliant ending race, specifically the final lap. While it's a montage of previous conversations, it works seamlessly with Giacchino's score and really gives some major oomph to the film itself.

It's a long film, perhaps even a bit indulgent, but I enjoyed each of the scenes for what they were. Following up with the opening structure, the film oftens shifts back in time (it only does the forward thing during Royalton's big speech) usually to punch home a detail in just the right way. This means that the exposition is done visually, for the most part. Like previous W Brothers film, a lot of information is passed without a red flag warning the audience they are getting it, so it pays to pay attention. There is some expository information passed in conversations, but it's usually doubled with visual info, so the younger viewers can keep up with the basic story.

The races are a lot of fun, featuring some wonderful visual effects. They often approach photo-realism without losing any of their heightened style. The physics of the crazy racing is not airtight, but it's pretty good, usually cheating for visuals, as opposed to being poor models. Watching the cars bang around is more fun the more you see it, because it is pretty cohesive. It's not just flash...specific things are happening in the scrum. Highly kinetic stuff!

I dug Hirsch's performance more this time. There isn't a ton in the script, but he's sweet without being saccharine when he needs to be, he's a bit gritty without being laughable when he needs to be, and he nails the few scenes he has to in order to sell the story of the Racer family. Ricci's performance really reminds me of Reese Witherspoon, in her mannerisms and speech patterns. But it works for her, and she's very sexy and tough without being slutty or masculine. Sarandon plays the perfect mother, minding her family with love and firmness. Fox gets special note, because his costume is pretty absurd when you look at it :) But he's great with and without the mask on. He has the strongest emotional moment in the film, and it's well earned by the score, and what has come before.

Onto the score, I think it's fabulous. I'm not sure what else to say by it uses the famous theme in numerous ways, and it goes from whimsy to epic to touching very smoothly. If you are a movie score kind of person, it's a fantastic one. The score really punctuates the film throughout, matching the material very well, and being pleasant to listen to on it's own.

Yeah, I've swooned over this thing enough. I've mentioned it enough in other threads. The Tragic Story of Speed Racer's Box Office will be a cautionary tale in years to come. But it's a footnote to the movie they made. Visually dazzling, thematically pure, and wonderfully executed, this is a movie that I might have to defend more than others, but it'll be my pleasure to do so. What's especially nice is that, checking the review thread, I'll mostly have to defend it against people who haven't seen it :)

If you can see the film in IMAX, I recommend it. Sorry for a second "review" in this thread, but I didn't feel right putting another "review" in that thread. The IMAX experience warranted some thoughts though.

As a side note, a brightly lit sign in the Viking den where the Viking team is plied with furs reads: GROG LITE. You got to get a little smile out of that.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Nice post, Chuck. What did your coworker think of the movie?

I still haven't been able to see it for a second time, but I'm going this weekend again to see it in IMAX, before that panda movie takes over the theater.

I looked at the new review thread. You know what, there is nothing but positive reviews, and a lot of them have high praise.

As I said earlier, I think it's a masterpiece, and I'm glad to hear it holds up after subsequent viewings. The beginning 15 minutes and the final 15 minutes are truly incredible in terms of filmmaking. I absolutely loved, loved, loved the point from when he starts the car up again and finishes the race. I really can't describe all the different emotions that I was feeling at the same time during that sequence. The score, the flashbacks, and visuals just built up to this great momentum that when he crossed the finish line, I was ready to jump up and down and scream for joy.

On a negative note, there was one scene I didn't like that much. The part where the kid and his monkey ride on the cart, with all the workers passing by. Not sure why that scene seemed to last longer that I feel it should've. What's your opinion on that, Chuck?

~T

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Chuck, Speed Racer wasn't shot in IMAX 70mm. Normally these films are blown up from 35mm to 70mm, so you don't get the benefit of the extra resolution.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
My coworker leaned over to me about 40 minutes in and said "Hey, this is really good." So he liked it quite a bit.

Referring to your early comment about The New World, that's a similar reaction to mine. Now Speed Racer isn't nearly the movie The New World is, but there are similarities in how I responded to each of them. Both were visually stunning, and neither conformed to traditional Hollywood storytelling. And like you, both films stayed with me for some time. And I agree that Speed Racer is a masterpiece. That sounds absurd when I read it, but there it is. It's extraordinary filmmaking. I hadn't read the review by Corliss or the one Bryan linked above until about twenty minutes ago. They are both very positive reviews that capture a lot of how the film made me feel. And that's the rub. I had a strong emotional reaction to the film every time I've watched it. I actually had butterflies in my stomach during the final race/buildup last night. Most importantly, I didn't bring those from some external influence. The film has worked it's magic each time I've seen it. It's the film working...not me making it work.

As you point out, the final lap is somewhat consuming :) I think I mentioned earlier that my son (almost four and half) pumped his little fist when Speed Racer won the race. And it was a raw reaction. He obviously didn't see the conscious statement on human achievement the directors were celebrating (that's more adult, of course). But he felt the flow of the film, and the grandeur of the victory.

As for the Spritle scenes, it was a moment of insanity during Royalton's vicious tirade. I don't mind those scenes. I think they are there for levity, with the younger audience in mind.

I'm sorely disappointed more people didn't see the film. But not because I want it to win the summer or to validate my opinion (which I am very secure in), but because I want to see their reactions to it. I want them to feel the way I did when I (and it appears we, from the review thread) saw it. It's a good and pure movie. I look forward to seeing the reception it's home release gets.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Don, I wasn't clear enough in my post :) I understood that, and I was worried the blown-up image wouldn't be as sharp as in a normal theater. But I was wrong :) I know I didn't get the extra resolution. But the picture still was very impressive.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Glad your coworker and son liked it. After reading your posts, I really can't wait to see it again.

I'm also disappointed more people haven't seen it. When a great movie like this comes along and does poorly at the box office, I'm just trying to open people to giving this a chance. I talked to my brother last night and asked him if he's seen it. He hasn't seen it, and heard it was stupid. Unfortunately, many people seem turned off by it because of the poor reviews and how it was marketed. On Rotten Tomatoes, it has a 33% rating. Yet, here on HTF, it's 100%, with a lot of glowing reviews.

Something I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is how this is somewhat similar to other "feel good" sports movies like Hoosiers and Rudy. I think anyone who enjoyed those movies would like this one, too.

~T

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
For me, it's a combination of the very low RT rating and what the W brothers did with the Matrix sequels, coupled with ZERO attachment to the cartoon. That's very hard to overcome. Actually, Chuck's comments on the film might have persuaded me if he wasn't so enamored with the Matrix sequels. :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, more enamored with Reloaded than Revolutions (though I liked Revolutions OK). But that may damn me with you than vice versa :) I admit that I am very receptive to their filmmaking techniques, and this perhaps accurately frames my opinions. But I rarely get vehement about a film, as you know.

I would recommend ignoring my posts and checking out the Review thread...it *IS* all thumbs up from a variety of viewpoints...if you have a twinge of interest. The film is much more The Matrix than it's sequels.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not particularly fond of RELOADED or REVOLUTIONS. I'm also not a fan of the SPEED RACER cartoon series. I know the general outline and some of the characters from the series but I have never actually watched an episode of the cartoon.

I went to SPEED RACER out of curiosity and due to the fact that "critics" were savaging it. I was expecting a complete trainwreck of a movie. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the movie was better than it was being given credit for. I thought the characters were rather well played and the interactions were well done, especially the conversations between SR and his mother and father.

Another well done bit of business occurred in a locker room where SR had a conversation with a former race car driver that he very much admired. What impressed me about the scene was the very indirect way the question SR asked was answered. The whole sub-thread about that old race was handled quite well. Using it to create a moment where SR and his father really seem "bond" while watching the race on TV was really well done. That bit felt completely "realistic" to me. You could almost picture yourself and your own father in a similar situation.

The revelations about the race that occur later really felt like a betrayal of that entire moment of bonding that took place between father and son. I know I'm going to sound "touchy feely", but I just can't describe the whole '42 race business as anything but a really well done moment of father-son bonding brought low by stark reality.

Just on that moment alone, I consider SR to be better written than IJ IV and IRON MAN put together.

In IRON MAN, the main character's conversion just seems sort of flat and false. The father-son and Mother-son conversations in SR sounded and felt completely natural and real, at least to me. IJ, to me, has nothing in the writing that compares to SR.

I will give one caveat regarding SR. If you hate CGI-heavy, green screen effects then SR is not for you. The film is chockful of CGI and green screen and doesn't try to hide them. If you hate the look of that type of film making then you might as well avoid the film.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I had zero attachment to the cartoon and I wasn't a fan of the Matrix sequels. The poor reviews on RT were discouraging, but I still went to see it because the previews made it seem really cool and there were some people here who loved it. For me, despite many poor reviews, a movie is a worth checking out if there are some who don't just like it but really love it. As I mentioned earlier, it's 100% positive in the review thread here at HTF. That's a no brainer to me whether I should see it or not.

~T

CoreyII

Second Unit

I'm curious, why do you feel like you have to defend the movie against anyone who hasn't seen it, but doesn't think it is a good movie.

For many people the trailers for Speed Racer just didn't win them over, why is that such a hard concept for many on this forum to understand.

Chuck, what about the people who didn't see the film but still think it may be good picture based on what they've heard and seen in the previews. Shouldn't these people also be challenged in their assessment of the film since their assuming Speed Racer is going to be a good film and they haven't even seen it yet.

The whole point of trailers is to give one a taste of what's to come, it either clicks with the masses or it doesn't. Obviously Speed Racer hasn't clicked with the masses.

From what I've read on this panel anyone who has a problem with film automatically has their credibility challenged.

Personally, I thought the film was terrible and I did see it and I am huge fan of the series.

I believe I brought this up before, but Chuck, I remember you really knocking X-Men 3 without even seeing it.

I'm not trying to start a fight, I just feel like there are double standards on this forum at times.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

Actually your average 35mm print probably would end up with less resolution than the Imax print if you think about it.

While I'm here I may as well make an observation. Perhaps the reason the thread is largely filled with positive reviews is because those who saw it and didn't like it don't care enough to comment? I saw it a couple of weeks ago in an empty theater based on all the comments here and I thought it was pretty average, and had forgotten all about it by the time I was home that day. It's not an awful film but it's not good either. At least now I know not to buy the Bluray.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Not at all. Do you have examples?

And Zack is the second who didn't care for it. Considering people are usually happy to share their displeasure with a bad film, I have a hard time believing the majority of HTF members saw SR and didn't care for it enough to mention it. Certainly a few did, but based on the grosses, I feel safe saying that most members who've seen it who post somewhat regularly have commented on it. I understand you don't fall into that category, until now.

CoreyII

Second Unit
Chuck,

I do apologize for my delayed response, but time hasn't been in my favor for the past few days. I will try my best to respond to your post over the weekend. I do have my reasons for not liking Speed Racer and I look forward to sharing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks