What's new

*** Official RAMBO Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

and you survived?? :P

What did you think? no other specifics? Jsut "it was good?" Cripes dude

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well to be quite honest, Russell, the film suffered from overexposure for me.

All the talk, speculation and general goings-on in this thread had sort of taken the wind out of my sail about the film.

But I digress, it was an extremely well put together action film that was tough to watch at times.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Not to me, while the film was great it was still far too on the serious side for my taste, it felt like Rambo as envisioned by Rob Zombie.

I felt like I needed a shower after it was over.

Still, I am utterly amazed at what Stallone has managed to do with Rocky Balboa and this, he completely blew the doors off any notion that an aging action icon can't become fasionable again.

An amazing feat. :emoji_thumbsup:

Now if we can just get that damn sequel to Tango & Cash I can die a happy man. :D

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
What an odd "discussion" thread.

I saw this last night and really liked it - Stallone's commentary is well worth a listen as well. I was expecting all the mercenaries to be taken out and Rambo having to get the missionaries out on his own killing everyone in his path in the process. I was actually happy that the film didn't go that direction and stayed a little bit more based in reality.

I really missed Jerry Goldsmith's score, as much as I do love Brian Tyler. The first blood theme was there but I missed having some of the other "Rambo" musical cues.

Tom Keels

Stunt Coordinator

I also really enjoyed this aspect of the film. It was really against the formula of action films. I told a buddy of mine that if I saw a guy kill 5 dudes with a bow in 10 seconds, he's welcome to tell me whatever and I'll follow him wherever he goes.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I never did get to theater to see the film. I finally rented it on Blu-ray.
Not as bad as I thought it would be. Better than the second and third ones, but still not as good as the first.

Except for a couple of scenes, I felt curiously detached from the slaughter of most of the soldiers in this film. I know the film was trying to manipulate a person into hating these guys, but sometimes I couldn't help but think a lot of these guys were press-ganged into military service. They also suffered plenty of abuse within the army, as the film clearly shows.

One scene, where I did want to see them slaughtered was where the soldiers sow landmines into a rice paddy, force prisoners to run through the paddy, and then bet on the results. The mercs are hiding and watching. At that point, I was thinking, "Fuck, waste them already". All I could think was good riddance when Rambo finally shows up to bow and arrow the bastards.

After watching the sniper clip that was posted in here, I have to say that the effect of the sniper shots in this film were actually understated. They are still very graphic, but I can't say that it was excessive after watching that clip where people literally explode when hit by one of these rounds.

I was a bit stunned when Stallone, in the extras, stated that he toned down the violence because the real thing was even worse. I was left thinking how much more brutal could it be? The level of brutality we, as humans, can achieve is crazy, if what was depicted isn't half as bad as it could be.

All in all the film was not bad. There was definitely no time wasted with long scenes of expository dialogue. This film was pretty tightly written. I have to give them credit. Everything they wanted to get across was shown, not blown. The film was 90 minutes, but it felt like only 45 passed. I might actually add this one to my collection to go along with FIRST BLOOD.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I gave it a second viewing, my foist on DVD, this weekend. Holds up very well on the second viewing. Still one of my faves from this year. There were some deleted scenes on the disc that actually fleshed out Rambo a bit. Seeing as the film barely hit 90mins, they would of worked alright left in. Shows that Stallone is all business in the editing room as well.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
My dad and I watched this on Saturday night and to my surprise he didn't even know where Burma was or what was going on over there! He loved the movie and I listened to the commentary later, it struck me as funny when I realized that Stallone is the only one in Hollywood who seems to know how to make sequels properly lol.

I also don't get why the soldiers just sat there and didn't attempt to take out those sick bastards.

As for the question of how much worse can the brutality get, just let your imagination run away with you, mine did. :frowning:

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I just got done watching the film but I must first say that this is the greatest thread I've ever read at this forum. :emoji_thumbsup:

As for the film: :star::star::star::star:

Thank God someone had the balls to make an R-rated action movie that wasn't scared to be politically incorrect.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I'm so glad that you found Russell jumping on my ass at every turn amusing. ;)

I actually saw the movie the first time just to get him off my freakin' back. :D

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Finally saw it yesterday on Blu-Ray.

Kind of a weird film really. It's like a movie with an Act I which then just skips to Act III and then sorta just ... ends.

It was alright. I think Stallone kinda ran out of things to do with this character after Rambo II though. The story sometimes feels a lot like "well we can't do X because we already did that in Rambo I/II/III".

I liked that Australian bald dude though, he was a bad ass.

FloggingDolphin

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Pour
Hi there,

I just watched some of the Rambo DVD and I think it seems a bit different from what I saw in the theatre (twice). Can anyone confirm? For example near the end once John is done using the turret:

1. In theatrical version: you only see his face dash off.
2. In the DVD version: you see him jump off the jeep.

Hope someone can confirm. If that's the case then which DVD version has the theatrical version of the movie?

Thanks in advance,
FD

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I only saw the film once in the theater so I don't really recall if he jumped off the back of the truck or not. The dvd isn't a different cut so I assume it's the same way it was in theaters?

William Ward

Supporting Actor
I saw this film last night and thought it was one of the best action flicks I have seen in a long time. Definately brutal stuff, but it adds a sense of "this is how it is" to it. Having seen all of the Rambo films recently(and all for the first time - thanks DVD collector's set) this would probably rank 2 in the series.

As for why the mercs didnt fire on the troops who were making the villagers run thru the mine waters, I thought it was pretty simple. It was even alluded to by the leader, saying that if they go missing, there will be search teams and what not makign their job of checking things out all that much tougher. Rambo came in and had an extraction plan in the window before they were due back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks