What's new

*** Official PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: Dead Man's Chest Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I thought the CGI on Davey Jones was amazing. I spent most of the movie trying to figure out what was real and what was CG'd... no luck!

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Yeah, the CGI was great. :) Davy Jones was incredible. The Kraken too.

BTW, I loved the little gag with the two guys arguing over how to pronounce "kraken"

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Here's a question- what was the deal with the people hanging out on the wreckage of the Flying Dutchmen? Were they hoping to be enlisted in Davy Jones crew or something? I didn't think the movie was clear on that.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The addition of BBC actors had me going "hey, there's Gareth from 'The Office' and Steve from 'Coupling'!"

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

That wasn't the Flying Dutchman. Jack told Will that because he was planning on trading Will for his own soul. That ship was attacked by the krakken, and lying adrift in the water, and those were the survivors. Jack knew that, and knew Davy would show up. Facing death by starvation, some either took the chance to be consigned to Davy's crew, or die right there.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

So what was the plan then? How were they supposed to find the Flying Dutchman? Just sail around the open ocean until Davy Jones showed up?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I watched it a second time, and I'm liking it even more. There's a lot of narrative information to take in, but the truth is you just got to pay attention. For example, I thought I saw boots in the witch's house the first time, but I never made that connection until last night: Captain Barbosa has been there the entire time. It's subtle, but the monkey has this reaction like, "Hey, what are you doing here?"

The post you quoted Kevin pretty much answered it. Will was fooled into thinking the crashed ship was the Flying Dutchman when in reality the Flying Dutchman was that weird ass ship that shows up later. Jack knew Davy Jones was always looking for more sailors/souls. Why? I don't really know. I figure the ship would be overrun with slaves by then.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Hmm, I suppose. But I gathered that Davy Jones and The Flying Dutchmen "legends" were pretty well known to all of the characters, not just Jack. So presumably it had been around for a while which didn't really jibe with the relatively fresh crewmen on the wreck. It just seems weird that Will was fooled so easily. I rewatched the original film the other night and one of the things that I liked was that Will was very smart throughout and wasn't easily fooled by Jack.

I think this all would have made a bit more sense if I could have understood the Voodoo Lady's dialogue a bit better. While I enjoyed the effort they put into her accent and dialogue, it seems like a poor choice in retrospect since she carries the burden of essentially providing the majority of the exposition and plot for the film.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Perhaps Will is fooled so easily because unlike the other characters he was not a pirate/sailor origininally.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

But he wasn't fooled so easily in the first film- that's what I liked about him there. He's quick to pick up on why Sparrow leaves Port Royal with him as well as Jack's eventual plan to use him as leverage to get the Pearl back.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I mentioned he was not a pirate not to suggest he isnt quick or clever like Jack, just that not being a Pirate he would have no knowledge of the legend of the flying dutchmen or davy jones.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Oh, gotcha. I misunderstood what you meant. Yeah, but I thought Will seemed to understand about Davy Jones and The Flying Dutchmen too, but maybe I'm misremembering. I almost feel like I need another viewing but I'm not sure if I liked it enough to see again in the theater or just wait until DVD.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Although I agree with the problems everyone has mentioned with the film (length, convulted plot), I think that when the movie works, it really works and I can't wait to see it again.

I am a little aprehensive about the 3rd movie though. The problem I agree with the most is that the vilain in the first have seems to be pretty underwhelming and they seem to be setting up for a bigger role in the 3rd. It seems that he will try to control Davey Jones to suit his own evil plans, whatever they might be. Also the 3rd movie is probably going to be just as long if not longer. They will need to have a satisfying plot to bring back Captain Jack, yet they are going to have to make sure he is still the primary character for most of the movie to keep the fans happy. I hope to be surprised, and its going to be a long wait for 'The End of the Wolrld'.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I'll spoilerize the following just in case but it's a reported setting of Pirates 3 (along with another cast member):

Supposedly, a lot of the third film will take place in the Pacific with Singapore being a major location, along with the introduction of a captain played by Chow Yun Fat.

Given that, along with the left over stuff from Pirates 2, I'm really worried that they have too much on their plate for the final film. I love the idea of the new location but wish more than ever that the Davy Jones stuff had been finished off with this film.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

You know, this got me thinking. One of my first reactions was that this film wouldn't play like a whole, rather it would play like the matrix sequels -- i.e. the first feels like a complete story, and then the sequels feel like one big story spread over two films.

I think what made me think that way was that Davy Jones wasn't dealt with the way Barbossa was in the first. Although they take it back, Barbossa died and gave a feeling of completeness. The bad guy dies in the end of movies, everyone knows that. But Davy Jones didn't die in the second film, or at least give the appearance of death like Barbossa.

But, then I thought about it some more. Who really was the bad guy in the movie.

The first choice is Lord Cutler Beckett. He snarkily breaks up Will's and Elizabeth's wedding, and then makes some pretty shady deals. But, what's his motivation? He's fighting pirates. In all reality, pirates were pretty bad people. They robbed, raped and pillaged honest folk who worked for a living. So, is it wrong that this guy wants to rid the seas of Pirates? Just because Captain Jack is a lovable thief, he's still a thief, and I'm sure if he ripped one of us off we'd be pretty put off by it.

The second logical choice is Davy Jones. But, is he really that bad? I mean, he's not a pirate. He doesn't steal. Mostly, he offers sailors an option, join him or die. Sure, he's likely the cause of these sailors being in the predicament to have to choose -- but, not always. Will's dad for instance, Bootstrap Bill, was rotting at the bottom of the ocean by way of Barbossa, and Davy Jones made him a fair offer; sit down there for eternity or join his crew. So, all in all he's a bad dude, but he's not the worst in the picture.

Now, we're left with Captain Jack Sparrow. He continually puts himself above other people. First, he made a fair deal with Davy Jones and is now trying to escape it, go back on it or cheat his way out of it. First he grounds his ship on the cannibal island, putting his entire crew in jeopardy. Then, he tries to trick Will in to taking on his debt. Then, after that he agrees with Jones to give him 99 other innocent souls -- and goes about DOING it. In Tortuga, he's trying to swindle 99 down on their luck souls into an eternity of service with Davy Jones. When the ship's being attacked by the Krakken, he runs!

When you add up all of the bad deeds in the film, and the one who generates the most conflict for the other characters and plot -- Jack winds up being the bad guy.

And, technically, he dies in the end, like bad guys are supposed to in the movies. In that respect, it does have a satisfying ending where the bad guy dies. Justice is ultimately served.

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
Loved, loved this movie. I thought that it deserved every penny that it earned on Friday.

Such being said, I agree with the above posters thoughts on resolution. I like the way that it ended though, because its just open ended enough for the next one.

Mike.P

Second Unit
So, anyone else get a little naucious with the water-wheel fight? I think the taco bell I had before hand just didn't settle well after seeing that.

Enjoyable, but far from great. Would recommend to others, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks