What's new

*** Official "ICE AGE" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
BoxOfficeGuru predicts a weekend take of possibly $50 million for "Ice Age." Friday estimates were $13.7 million.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
I just got back from my 12-hour run at the theater and I in fact saw this film twice and the new Star Wars trailer twice on the big screen for like my 100th time. Both times it was sold out. Frankly, I havent seen my theater so busy since Star Wars TPM was playing. I loved every second. Scrat is just hilarious. I'd say its as good as Monsters Inc. beautiful animation too!
:star: :star: :star: :star:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Not bad, plenty of cartoonish antics. The story was simple enough, but it was entertaining, so it's a "recommend" especially if you like computer animation films.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
My first official thread designation...
I'd like to thank my parents...the academy... :)
When I posted this a couple of weeks before it opened, I got a sort of Monkeybone vibe from it, like it was a film Fox wasn't too proud of and were going to try to sneak it into theatres (past the critics).
It's weird, the advertising blitz was fast, furious and sudden (even more than usual). Two weeks before it opened, I'd seen a trailer and very few TV spots. Then, after posting this, it seems like I couldn't go anywhere without seeing ads for it.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Just got back from seeing it. Nice way to spend ninety minutes. The film had a lot of good laughs and the scrat is gonna be a huge star. (I can see them bringing him back in a series on animated shorts.)

What impressed me is how stylized the animation was. They did a great job going for a very specific look. Much of the film, especially the landscapes, reminded me of Chuck Jones' work. The humans were great looking, with the deliberate chiseled looks and reduced cranial area.

Regarding the sound - my showing (in northern Mass) also had almost all the sound coming out of the center speaker. The surrounds were silent. It wasn't the theater calibration as the STAR WARS trailer immediately before was appropriately bomastic with LOTS of surround activity. Could it be that there are some defective prints out there? (I believe the theater I was in uses Dolby Digital, not DTS or SDDS.)

-greg

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Could it be that there are some defective prints out there? (I believe the theater I was in uses Dolby Digital, not DTS or SDDS.)
That's possible, but I think this might be DTS-only. At least, DTS was the only logo I saw in the closing credits (there was a "Dolby" logo, but that's all it said, "Dolby". Not "Dolby Digital" or "Dolby Surround" or "Dolby Stereo").

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Not bad, plenty of cartoonish antics. The story was simple enough, but it was entertaining, so it's a "recommend" especially if you like computer animation films.
This is my sentiment exactly. It was a good movie for the children and lots of laughs for the kids. I don't Fox animation is quite up to that of DreamWorks and Pixar, yet. But this movie shows promise for their animation. The animation reminds a lot of Roadrunner cartoons, with the icy landscapes replacing the desert landscapes. Overall, I'd give it :star: :star: :star: (out of 5).

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I thought this was quite good. I think they did an admirable job with the animation, given that it wasn't Pixar or Dreamworks. The humor and action were all well handled, and the Rodent's scenes always got a great crowd reaction.

BTW, I heard this was only made for $50 million. Can that possibly be the case?

I gave it 3 1/2 in the review thread.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
The film did 47.9 million over the weekend, the biggest March opening and the 3rd largest animated one. (I posted this and other film grosses on Sunday in another trhead but it was removed :frowning: ).

John Geelan

Screenwriter
That's a fantastic opening figure. Just shows you the demand their is for good kids movies that use the latest technology.

The new Peter Pan movie has only made less than $50m in 4 weeks while ICE AGE hits $50m in 3 days!

Also looking forward to ET this weekend.

JohnG

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Took the family to see it on Sunday and we all liked it a lot. Lots of good laughs. A very nice family movie. Sid was my favorite character and Scrat was a riot.

The sound was great and all speakers were in use. Plus the theater was packed! I haven't seen it this packed since LOTR:FOTR. I hope the movie does very well.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Is this a Fox movie??? (cool). I will be seeing it sometime this weekend with the family.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Saw Ice Age last night with the family and it was a fun film.
Very well done by Fox. It had my kids and others in the audience really laughing and having a good time.
It should make a good dvd when it comes out!
JohnG:)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
We took the kids to see it this afternoon. Good movie, but I felt that it was lacking in the script department. Some good laughs.
:star: :star: :star:
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks