What's new

***Official 3rd Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge*** (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Put me down for the heavyweight division.
Don't know if I can pull it off or not but I've got a bunch of unwatched Horror DVD's from the past few months. I also have about 40+ Horror titles in my collection to choose from.
This is what I have so far. I've seen them all before (not on DVD).
I'll update my list when I decide on the other titles.

* Near Dark
* Fog
* Carnival of Souls - (First time/Netflix)
Don't Look Now - (Netflix)
Curse/Night of the Demon
Horror of Dracula
Curse of Frankenstein
Revenge of Frankenstein
Legend of Hell House
Red Dragon
The Nanny - TCM
Spiral Staircase - TCM
* Viewed

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
Walt! Madman??? What's next? Humongous???
Hmmm, never seen Humongous. :)
Madman's fun though. One of my faves among the slasher rip-off era. It's campire story/legend premise makes it ideal for this time of year, I think.
Oh yeah, and I watched Shock Waves last night and have adjusted my list accordingly.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
[cracks knuckles]
I'm there. :D
Off the top off my head (DAWN OF THE DEAD-style ;) ), I've got these waiting for first-time viewings:
01. SPIRAL
02. GHOST ACTRESS
03. ANOTHER HEAVEN
04. TENEBRAE
05. VOODOO ISLAND
06. CURSE OF THE UNDEAD
07. THE UNDYING MONSTER
08. DR. RENAULT'S SECRET
09. TERROR TRAIN
10. BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW
11. THE GOLEM
12. KILL, BABY, KILL
13. LISA & THE DEVIL
14. BARON BLOOD
15. FROM HELL
16. VIY, OR SPIRIT OF EVIL
17. RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD
18. MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE ('71)
--rest assured, there will be many more added to this list before I'm through...

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
I'm in for the thirteen. I would love to go for the 31, but with my hours (and having small children in the house who couldn't watch these), I know I'll never make it. But, to make this more challenging for myself, I'm going to try and make 13 New Discoveries.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Well, I started this contest off with a bang last night with two genre masterpieces, THE HITCHER (one of my top 5 fav. films) and Cronenberg's spectacular VIDEODROME.
THE HITCHER is of course a brilliantly done horror film in just about every way! Rutger Hauer delivers is greatest performance as the sadistic John Ryder, and the film's isolated desert-like landscapes are the perfect setting. The score is also perfect, and the film is very intense, grim, and suspensful. I love this film more than one could imagine! [This film was viewed on DVD]
VIDEODROME is probably my favorite of Cronenberg's classics, and thats saying something, as all of his films are excellent! James Woods is absolutely perfect for the role of Max Renn, and he plays it to perfection. The special effects by Rick Baker are simply astounding, and the film's warped plot is as interesting and engrossing as possible! Grade A classic! [This film was viewed on DVD]
Well, I'll try and get to one or two more tonight, and I'll be going to the local rental store soon to rent some stuff that I've not yet seen, which is sorta hard for me to do. ;) I'll also be seeing RED DRAGON this Friday by the way. I'll return to this thread later!

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Well now that my collection is now up to speed, I am in. I might have posted in the last year thread stating that I just got Blair Witch(no damn layer change problem this time) and Se7en.

The following I am watching at the moment for 13. (bold for watched, itlazied for not owned).

Blair Witch

From He**

Jaws

Exorcist

Brotherhood of the Wolf

Nightmare Before Christmas

Suspiria

It

[need five more movies to watch]

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Did an admin add the word "official" to the title of this thread, or did I do that? I don't recall. I may just be losing my marbles.
:confused:

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Well, just got done watching HALLOWEEN 4: THE RETURN OF MICHAEL MEYERS a few minutes ago. Very groovy film, and is the 4th best in the series! The mood of the film is just so perfect! I was amazed at how perfect it was when I first saw this film several years ago. Anyhow, great entry in the series! [This film was viewed on DVD]
I'm up to 3....

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I'm in for 13 but it'll probably be a struggle again. I just barely finished last year and had to "cheat" to do it. I should've planned ahead and made out some sort of list, but, of course, I didn't. Besides Red Dragon and The Ring, the only other film I have definite designs on is Wicker Man. Beyond that...I'll just have to dig through the rental shelves. Good thing the local Hollywood has really gotten into the DVD game and stocks tons of everything.
Bruce

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys.
Here's what I've watched so far:
From Hell
The Initiation
Office Killer - (The review of which you can see Link Removed .) :)
I just now turned on Friday the 13th, which is a movie I absolutely love...though this is the first time I'm seeing it in OAR!
The beauty of having this new DVD player in my computer room is that I can work while watching movies I've seen a dozen times! (Since I can periodically 'ignore' what's onscreen when I need to squeeze out another paragraph or two.)

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Although I'm not counting it toward my 13, I thought why not start off with Thir13en Ghosts(2001) last night. It seemed kind of fitting. This is a guilty pleasure of mine.
Now the movie is downright absurd at points, and insulting at others, but the make-up in this puppy is exquisite. KNB did a fine job of taking most of the ghosts in here back to old school when CG seems to be the rage. Sadly enough, I didn't enjoy this one near as much as the last time I viewed it.
While in my past two viewings, I was able to "let go", I had a much more difficult time getting past many of the story's holes. Of course, it's also hard to watch this right after I just finished North by Northwest for the first time.:)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Updated my list.
Triple feature last night.
Near Dark :star: :star: :star: :star: Its been years since I've seen it but this film has held up quite well. The best of the 80's vampire flicks IMO.
Carnival of Souls:star: :star: :star: First time I've seen it and I was just a tad let down after all the praise this one gets. It still rates pretty good on the creepy scale.
Fog :star: :star: Last time I viewed this was about 20 years ago on cable. For the most part I like Carpenter's work but this one didn't do much for me at all.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Updated list:
From Hell
The Initiation
Office Killer
Friday the 13th
The Devil's Backbone *(First time viewing - I loved this movie!)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Well, I'd love to take part in this, but Mr. Kissinger wants to borrow a bunch of my horror DVDs... :D
Actually, I don't really have the time, but I will throw out some recommendations:
The Old Dark House - Directed by James Whale and featuring Boris Karloff. Available from Kino.
White Zombie - Starring Bela Lugosi. Available from the Roan Group.
Curse of the Demon/Night of the Demon - Available from Columbia, the DVD features both the truncated U.S. version and the longer British cut. Would this count as two? :D
Fiend Without a Face - Available from Criterion. Invisible brain-sucking monsters! Need I say more?
I just added the first three to my collection and all four are must-haves for any serious horror buff!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
In the spirit of the season, I thought I'd contribute some scary sound effects to this creepy thread. You never know when they'll show up, so be prepared!

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
*hiding under his bed*

Is it safe to come out now? You Meanie, Scott!

-dragging chains across the floor-

Seriously, went to Hollywood and made up a mock list for this weekend. I'm gunning for 4 right off the bat but I'll settle for 2.

Bruce

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Add Sleepaway Camp 2 to my list.
A friend stopped over and I wanted to show her what I call the "doody leech" scene but we ended up watching the whole thing.
(What WHOLE thing? I think the flick is maybe 76 minutes long!)
It's still early for me (2:20AM) so I'll be adding another to the list before sunrise hits and I'm forced to cower under my covers like so many Nosferatus.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks