What's new

No more tempest for sonotube...what now? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
Since the tempest is currently unavailable to build a Sonotube what are my best options. I would love to get a 15" Atlas at the current discount price but my bank account is stretched thin right now. I won't be able to purchase everything for a week or so. Whats my best option then?

I'm going to use the sub for music and HT. The room is about 20X30'. I'll just be buying a 250 watt parts express plate amp and send a signal from an Onkyo 601. I'd like to keep the pre-shipping price of the sub around $150. Any rumors on when the new tempests will be unleashed and if their actual price will be around that mark?

Is my best bet just straining my bank account some more for an Atlas 15"? TIA Matt

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
The 15" Atlas drivers are sold out except for a very few held in reserve in case one of the others gets damaged in shipping or some order got messed up. There's a waiting list forming for those last few 15" Atlas's.

This was posted by Chad on the SoundIllusions.net forum (their official forum).

Sorry, I know that's not much help for you. At this point I'd probably consider waiting to see what Acoustic Elegance and Ascendant Audio come up with next. I think AE is planning on a line of woofers less expensive than the AV's and I know that Ascendant will have a new version of the Atlas.

You could consider the Dayton DVC 15 from Parts Express (Edit - I don't recall, but you might have to buy from Acoustic Visions to get this deal). I know they've been running a special price on them for the last few days, plus free shipping. Maybe you can still get in on that.

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
Any word from Chad as to when the next line of subs will be released? I imagine if they've run out of Atlas 15's then it should be time to start rolling out with the new run.

Should I consider Acoustic Elegance since they don't have XBL^2? Matt

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I think the AE AV15's have a linear BL motor design also ... just not XBL2. For that matter, the new Atlas's will also have some other (non-XBL2) linear BL motor design.

I don't know Chad's schedule, I just happened to read a recent post on the SoundIllusions forum with the above information. Your best bet is to give the guy a call. He's pretty cool (he actually recognized me from my forum posts) and I'm sure he'll be glad to help you as best he can.

As I recall, the AV15's are $205 regular price with this first run (some blemish-type issue) going for $175. That gets you 23mm Xmax. You'll want 500 - 700 watts to really use the potential of this woofer

And it sounds like the new Atlas's should be at least similar to the old in terms of performance (figure 18mm Xmax) but at a somewhat lower price than the $160 per Atlas 15. And if it really is like the old Atlas's, you'll only need 200-300 watts to use their potential.

From your comment regarding the stretched bank account I'd consider waiting. This has the double-advantage of giving you time to increase your bank balance and giving Ascendant and AE time to intro new woofers (though you'd probably miss out on the discount AV15 deal). If you just can't stand the wait then give both companies a call, see what they'll tell you about their upcoming models and then decide what you can afford.

All the woofers we've discussed are good choices but certainly not equal. Xmax speaks for itself but the AV15 and Atlas seem to have a significant advantage in construction and quality over the Tempest and Dayton DVC

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
You guys better act quick. I just called to ask when the new line of Ascendant speakers will be coming out. 2-3 months was what I was told.

I then also asked if they had any Atlas 15's left. To my complete surprise and joy, YES!. The guy said they had about 2 left or so. One of them is now mine. I can not wait to begin the build process and destroy my house. With a total price including shipping of $122.22 I doubt I could have done any better anywhere else.

They took my credit card numbers and everything so I doubt they would take that if they're not sure they have a few left for sale. I say everyone wanting to buy one should call and hope. Matt

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Great! The Atlas 15 closeout deal is the absolute best bang for the buck I've seen to date. And it should be a mighty fine woofer. I think you'll be happy.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Man,, congrats.. That is a great driver for that sort of money indeed!!!!!

This thread was a darn good read for the sub DIY'r....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks