What's new

No more late fees at Blockbuster!, could be worse (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
First off, I'm a huge Netflix fan, have been for the last two years after the service suddenly improved for me and has remained at an exceptional level since. I'm looking at a two-day turnaround, which I think is fantastic.

My wife, on the other hand, has never joined my Blockbuster-boycott and frequents the store at the street level of our building. I admit, having one just an elevator ride down is quite convenient... and yet I won't set foot in there.

Despite it's convenience, my wife still manages to return movies late all the time. Under the impression that there were no late fees, she returned two movies over a week late the other day... and was charged about $35.

Here's what I don't get. According to postings here, it seems she should only be charged a $1.25 restocking fee. No?

(Either way, I hope she's learned her lesson. When she told me the story, I reminded her that I'd rented [quick online history check] 14 movies from Netflix in the previous month for only $19.99 with no fear of a late charge.)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
rich that late charge doesnt make much sense.
could you provide more specific details.
when did she rent them, how long was the ACtual time she had the dvd's for.

the new policy only took effect jan 1st.

if she rented them after the 1st the $35 is what she was charged for keeping them and returning them after the 7 day grace period.

that money should be refunded minus $1.25.

if that is the case, go back to the store and make sure they give you the refund.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
I hate this no late fee crap. Ive had movie pass for almost 5 months, I very rarly go into Blockbuster and find the titles i want all out. Today i went in and every release i was even remotly interested in seeing was out of stock. This sucks.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
why do you have the movie pass if you rarely go in the store?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Tony, he said he very rarely goes in to find there's no movies he's interested in available, and that it happens now with the new late fee structure.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok, but this looks like you are saying the titles you want are rarely out. so they are usually there when you want to rent a title.

ok read it again.
you are aying before the new policy ttles you wanted were usually there but now not so much.

that should change somewhat because they will be getting more copies then usual of many major titles due to this exact reason.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
She turned them back in last weekend/last friday or so, but she may have rented them just prior to Jan. 1. Not sure. I'll tell her that she should likely get that money back... or maybe she should just demand the discs she paid for. (At which point I'd recommend she simply snap them in two and leave the remains on the counter.)

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
One thing is for damn sure, if not for Netflix competition, I would not have my $10/month + $1/movie access pass from Hollywood Video... They recently discontinued it and replaced it with something called the MVP (not as good IMO) but let those of us with the pass keep it, which I will until they pry it from my cold dead hands

- Cryo

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I use NetFlix because I can never find those obsure titles I want to watch at BB or HV. Also, NetFlix makes it very easy to rent television shows on DVD.

I am not sure if HV or BB stock most of these for rental.

-mw

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
TonyD you seem to be the expert here. Can you answer me the following?

1. For previous releases, typically there is only one copy kept in stock. If a customer deceides to not return the rental how long does BB wait to restock that title?

2. If I rent a movie and decide that I don't want to return it can I go in and get the proper jewel case cover art? or am I stuck with the BB insert?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what travis said is essentially true.
they dont wont you to keep the movie at all, so going in and asking for the cover is sort off their idea. i wouldnt do it.

soon the cases will be like hollywood. they will have the origional covers on the rental copies.

if there is only one copy in stock it isnt likely to be restocked any time son.
if it is, it will be becaiuse corp decides to do it.
all corp stores are at the mercy of bbv when it comes to what will be on the shelves.

Kain_C

Screenwriter

Why would you want to do this?? You can probably go out and buy (or get online) the same thing for cheaper BRAND NEW and it won't be used/scratched up.

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator

It's weird that you keep using the word random when your actual complaint seems to be that Netflix wouldn't be random enough, that you enjoy the freedom of random selection you get from going into the store. I think that's why people are confused by what you're saying, because you're using the word "random" wrongly. It's the exact opposite of random; you give Netflix a list of 20 movies and they get listed in an order you choose.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I think what soured over the years is all their censorship. I do buy used DVDs their occasionally but I frequent Hollywood much more.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
In all fairness, they have every right to choose what they want to stock and what they don't want to stock. Just like you can choose to rent there or not. Censorship would be if they were burning movies.

MikeHerbst

Stunt Coordinator
To be technical, when Blockbuster decides NOT to offer a particular movie for rent, it IS censorship.

Is it permissable? Certainly.

You're right that they have the right to buy or not-buy whatever they see fit. In essence, the selection of movies available reflects the "net corporate sensibility", in that its the list of titles that corporation sees fit to purchase for the purpose of renting.

Mikel_Cooperman is correct though, its censorship, just as if your local library declines to offer a particular book for check-out. They don't have to advocate destruction of a single copy, the mere act of saying "No, we don't think you should read that, so we won't put it on the shelf" is censorship.

Solution? Go to a different source.

In my mind, Blockbuster should be censoring MORE movies. In particular anything starring Pauly Shore or Carrot Top. And maybe Chris Elliot... :D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what movies has bbv as you say, censored?

and because they dont carry a movie, well, censoreship?
no, not really.

so if a supermarket doesnt carry a brand of oatmeal, is that censoreship?
i dont think anyone really knows what censore actually means. or it's proper use.
bbv chosing not to carry a movie is always going to be a financial reason, nothing more.
read not carrying a title or a version of a title anyway you want but it still will always come down to how much it will make the compny.
(certainly not fact, but my opinion)
plus i dont think bbv is carrying "pauly shore is dead".
his most recent movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks