What's new

Nintendo drops Wii U $50 due to poor sales (2 Viewers)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
LeoAmes said:
This bundle is $329.

bundle-mariokart.jpg
I missed your post first go around. That's an attractive bundle. Unfortunately I'm not ready to buy a new system yet. But the system, two controllers, two top games for $330 is nice.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Games are $60 and $50, controller is $40, wheel is like $10, so that means the Wii U is only costing you $170. That's a GREAT bundle.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Battery pack was $30ish. Did it ever come out in America? http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/30/improved-wii-u-gamepad-battery-and-more-headed-to-japan

The Wii U produces 2 video streams at the same time for the TV and the GamePad separately. For games that use the GamePad screen as a mirror for the TV, I don't think it downscales the video from the TV and requires extra processing time to do so. I know Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze doesn't use the GamePad screen at all (unless you're only playing on the GamePad and not the TV) as a way to use extra processing power to make the game look good (similar to how XB1 devs can now use the extra 10% processing power that was devoted to Kinect) but displaying an image on both the TV and GamePad doesn't create an inherent delay beyond anything except the fact that its through a wireless connection. I would agree that hardcore fighting game fans wouldn't use the GamePad screen for anything serious but are there any hardcore fighting games on the Wii U?

Nintendo's first party games ALWAYS stay near full price until they go into the "greatest hits" collections, where they are at about 1/2 price. It has nothing to do with competition because it is always like that for nearly all of their games on every platform. Look up some of their games on the Wii U or 3DS that have been out since around launch and, barring they were awful and never sold well at all (Steel Diver), they will be within $10 of their original price.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It was carried in Nintendo's online store. Recently disappeared when the store was redesigned. So they're likely awaiting another shipment before reintroducing it. Looks like it was listed at $32. I knew it was in that $30-$40 range, but it's at the lower end of it and a few dollars cheaper than I was remembering (Although after shipping and tax, it's going to still be about $40 I'm sure).

http://nintendoeverything.com/wii-u-gamepad-high-capacity-battery-out-now-on-nintendos-online-store/

Still, just a bit too high for my taste. $20 would be the magic mark for me upgrading. Otherwise, I'll keep going with what I have until the charge it holds starts to drop dramatically down the road and hopefully upgrade then.

As for the Wii U gamepad, I won't try to act like an expert where I'm not. Either way, I can just almost guarantee that a dedicated fighting game fan probably isn't going to be very interested in off-tv play for Super Smash Brothers for several reasons.

I'm sure that the advantages, perceived or actual, of a wired connection for fighters is one of the reasons this GameCube adapter has been developed like I said earlier.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
350 bucks (not including taxes) for the "Mario Kart 8" bundle in Canada. Nintendo has rocks in their head. It's no wonder this last gen pile of components is selling so anemically. They really blew it by thinking that casual "gamers", who bought into the Wii motion gimmick, were going to be converted into "hardcores" willing to join the endless upgrade path.

I would probably be willing to take a "flyer" on this system if the bundle was selling for 200 or less. There is no way I would spend 350+ on a system that sounds like it is at death's doorway as far as support goes. It doesn't help that the biggest game they have out right now spotlights a character that I have always found unappealing.

Edit: I may have spoken too soon. I didn't realize that the bundle came with the extra controller plus the wheel plus the choice of an extra game along with the pack-in. I have to concede that it may not be as bad deal for a bundle as I thought.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
For comparison, what's the price of a PS4 with 2 controllers and two games?
In Canada, a lot higher. Playstation4 with one game (Second Son) and one controller is 469.00. Everything else would be extra. A second controller would be 60 bucks and a second controller is pretty well mandatory if a person likes long gaming sessions. The 4 hour battery limit on PS4 controllers is a negative. They did update the software to allow a person to dim the power draining light on the controller but the savings are minimal.

So, yeah, the Wii U bundle is a lot better deal short term. The problem is the Wii U is a lot less powerful than the PS4. The PS4 is going to have a lot longer life span than the Wii U which I suspect is going to go through an upgrade cycle in the next couple of years due to its poor sales performance, so AFAIAC that has to be taken into account when it comes to calculating overall cost. Still, like I said, short term, the Wii U is a lot better deal. Of course, the poor sales performance is probably what is driving Nintendo to give value in their bundles. They are desperate to jump start sales on a tanking system.

laser

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matty
For what it's worth, Gametrailers, a site with an anti-Nintendo bias (for example, they reviewed Mario Kart 8 lower than Watch Dogs, which is the stark opposite of popular opinion - and then there's Michael Pachter... :rolleyes:), put Monolith Soft's "X" and Zelda Wii U in their top ten most anticipated of E3...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The Wii U probably has more exclusive games already out and coming in the next year that I want to play than the entirety of the Xbox 360's lifespan. It's a great deal.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
What sort of games do you like? That rather surprises me that the Wii U has more of interest to you than the 8 and a half year old Xbox 360 does.

Wii U is definitely the place to be for the next year or two for next gen games though. XB1 and PS4 don't have much in the way of exclusives or even next generation multiplatform exclusives. Hard to get excited when the average game on them today and for the foreseeable future will also be on the 360/PS3 with just a small dip in resolution and a few other drawbacks.

Especially when I can fire up something like Project Gotham Racing 3, a 2005 Xbox 360 launch title, and still see a very pretty game that doesn't look its age at all.

Not in the least bit of hurry to acquire either one. My 360, PS3, and Wii U will meet my modern gaming console needs for many years to come.
laser said:
For what it's worth, Gametrailers, a site with an anti-Nintendo bias (for example, they reviewed Mario Kart 8 lower than Watch Dogs, which is the stark opposite of popular opinion

Mario Kart in general doesn't get the review averages it deserves. I'd give something like Mario Kart 8 a solid 9.5 or so as would I bet the majority that have played it.

But I bet you that the Metacritic average is probably a mere B+ or so.

And then with each Mario Kart generation, you get a mainstream review outlet that intentionally gives it a 65% or some such nonsense just for the hits as people scurry to check out the crazy review that obviously isn't going to reflect what the vast majority will feel about the game

GameSpot in particular loves to pull that trick, if they're even still around despite a horrible website and horrible writing.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Just went through IGN's list of confirmed E3 games and realized not a single 3DS release of interest to me is listed.

Hope Nintendo has a surprise or two there. I don't think we'll get the heavily rumored Majora's Mask 3D this year so soon after last Fall's excellent Zelda, but I really hope Nintendo pulls something out like Metroid.

Edit: My apologies, kind of been thinking of this as a generic Nintendo thread when it's actually dedicated to Wii U discussion.

laser

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matty
LeoAmes said:
Especially when I can fire up something like Project Gotham Racing 3, a 2005 Xbox 360 launch title, and still see a very pretty game that doesn't look its age at all. GameSpot in particular loves to pull that trick, if they're even still around despite a horrible website and horrible writing.
PGR 4 looks and plays better. A massive shame that Bizarre Creations (also responsible for the Geometry Wars franchise) broke up... :( Dirty tricks & journalistic aptitude aside, I like Gamespot for its size and features. It's also my go-to for E3 streams - never had any major lag there.
LeoAmes said:
Edit: My apologies, kind of been thinking of this as a generic Nintendo thread when it's actually dedicated to Wii U discussion.
I don't see slightly off-topic posts as a bother, as long as they're kept short. :)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Losing Bizarre Creations definitely stung. Most of their 15 years or so worth of output is a part of my collection. I loved it when PGR and RalliSport Challenge (Done by DICE before EA grabbed them and put them full time on Battlefield) were Microsoft's premier racers in the early Xbox days.

Sad to see Criterion Games basically going away as well. They were excellent at racers of course as seen most recently by their sadly overlooked Wii U Need for Speed release, but one reason I'll miss them is I've been hoping for a Black 2. They did such an excellent job with their foray into the FPS genre, a genre that could use all the fresh air it could get.

But sadly, not enough people noticed by EA standards.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Morgan Jolley said:
The Wii U probably has more exclusive games already out and coming in the next year that I want to play than the entirety of the Xbox 360's lifespan. It's a great deal.
I had a dim opinion on the Wii U a year ago. And I still don't understand the tablet controller. But in Summer of 2014, I see a Mario game, Pikmin 3, Lego miami vice, DK arctic tundra, and Mario Kart 8. This looks like a lineup that could occupy me for a year or two; maybe rope my wife into some console gaming again. And be a nice break after a couple years of sturm und drang gaming of Fallout, Bioshock, and Alan Wake.

If I had $330 fall into my lap, I'd go buy a Wii U. Realistically, my entertainment budget is probably spent until next year. But I'll keep an eye on the Wii U prices and releases.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Did you own a Wii? If not, when you make the jump someday, don't forget about backwards compatibility mode and releases like the two Super Mario Galaxy titles.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I had an N64 (loved it) and a GameCube (ok). But come 2009, I was burnt out on subtitled beepy-boopy Nintendo characters, and bought a 360. I seriously considered the Wii, but the Wii's SD graphics were unacceptable against the new HD consoles. And I didn't like the palsied feel of the motions controller. So, no, no Wii games :)I would probably buy a few Nintendo classics through their online store. (And after an hour, realize yet again that it's best to just enjoy the memories).

laser

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matty
LeoAmes said:
I loved it when PGR and RalliSport Challenge (Done by DICE before EA grabbed them and put them full time on Battlefield) were Microsoft's premier racers in the early Xbox days.
RalliSport Challenge 2 is an essential original Xbox game, IMO.
LeoAmes said:
Did you own a Wii? If not, when you make the jump someday, don't forget about backwards compatibility mode and releases like the two Super Mario Galaxy titles.
I got Wii Sports, Okami, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Skyward Sword when I got my U.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Tomorrow's the big day if I'm not mistaken for Nintendo fans. I hope they have some neat things lined up.

Beyond the obvious like Super Smash Brothers information and Hyrule Warriors, I'm predicting the following for the Wii U.

-A fancy Zelda U trailer to introduce the project like they did with Twilight Princess.
-Announcement of a big Wii U release in a favorite traditional Nintendo franchise like Star Fox.
-I suspect we will see Animal Crossing U be announced.
-Nintendo's NFC project will be unveiled.
-NES Remix 1 & 2 confirmed for retail release.
-Virtual Console news (15 Capcom titles is a nice start).
-A few HD remasterings of GCN/Wii classics.
-No price drop.
-Maybe a Super Mario 3D World counterpart to New Super Luigi U?

I also wonder if we'll see a Kinect style backtracking by Nintendo with a Wii U bundle sans gamepad. I think it wouldn't accomplish much and would introduce compatibility issues with Wii U software, but enough have called for it where they just might be considering it.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see a Pro Controller bundle be announced and for the Wii U gamepad to be further de-emphasized.

I hope Fatal Frame U is shown off, but rather doubt it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
My comment about X360 games vs. Wii U games was in relation to exclusive 360 releases like Halo and Gears of War. A good chunk of the big 360 releases were multiplatform while nearly all of the Wii U's games are exclusives.

Wii games being SD wasn't a big deal because some of them were still absolutely gorgeous. An SD Wii game like Super Mario Galaxy 2 looks WAY better than just about anything MS or Sony could hope to produce on their consoles. It also plays better than just about anything ever made. I believe it's ranked #1 All Time on GameRankings.com

I doubt Nintendo will dump the GamePad. They have a history of poor support for their add-ons but not their pack-ins. If anything, they'll start to TRULY justify it and show support for 2 GamePads before they drop it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/9/5793660/ubisoft-unreleased-wii-u-gamesGuillemot declined to say how many Wii U would have to sell to make releasing the games worthwhile."We don't have a number," he said. "We need the sales to increase so it becomes more and more mass market then we will have the volume that will justify massive marketing and TV marketing."Does he think that day will ever come, I asked."I hope so," he said. "We have a game that has been done for six months. It's on the shelf, waiting for more families to have the console."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks