What's new

Next Calgary Meet? (1 Viewer)

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Dan:
I don't really think it'll be a problem, so feel free to join in. As Dean asked first, I've given him the last spot in Adam's van. You'll have to see if you can bum a ride with the others if you want to carpool. Other than that I'll leave it up to you.
For everyone not carpooling from my place, we meet at Smart Home Systems at 10:00am. Our host asks that we arrive promptly as there are so many of us that he wants to try and get started right away. Note that because of the large turnout, most of us will end up standing.
Lunch is at Chianti's on 17th Ave. SW at noon, with the DVD shopping tour starting at DVD Now on 17th Ave. SW at 1pm. Arrival back at my place is estimated for around 4pm.
Check back in previous posts for full address details, if needed. I'm looking forward to meeting you all.
------------------
View My DVD Collection
Dale S. aka Frustrated (with Denon) in Calgary
Calgary and area local HTF meet, March 24th 2001
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000205.html

LanceT

Auditioning
Hey Dale,
See everyone at Smart Home Systems @ 10am! Is anyone going to bring extra demo material to smart? Last time I was there the only DVD's that they had were Austin Powers and the Matrix. I hope we'll get to see some HD as well!
lance

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
I will second the desire to see some HD! I am presently in the market for an HD ready RPTV, and would like to see one in action. Lance has brought up a good point about source material. We should maybe bring one or two "reference" DVD's to use as backup demo material.
--
Paul, I will try and contact you sometime tonight. If I am unable to get a hold of you, I will pick you up at 9:15 at your place. If you see this, leave me a confirmation message, or email me.
--
See you all on Saturday!
Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
What reference material do people suggest? These are my favorites for evaluating video and I will bring them.
For starters, Toy Story 2 is a common test disc. I also like the beach scene from Saving Private Ryan (more for it's DTS soundtrack though). The 5th Element is quite visually striking, and I also find the DVD of Anna and the King is quite vivid. Starship Troopers is recommended by many as one of the best DVD transfers out there (no edge enhancement and good, clean master used).
I can also bring Titan AE - that sequence in the ice cloud is amazing, and the gas planet is a really good test of the chroma circuits from player right through to projector.
I also have a copy of Ultimate DVD Platinum which has some test patterns, but if someone has a copy of Avia or Video Essentials, we could try that too.
Any others?
------------------
View My DVD Collection

Chris M

Second Unit
I have Video Essentials, and I just got my Rock: Criterion Collection disk. I can bring those if you like. :)
This sounds like it'll be a lot of fun!
See y'all tomorrow.
Chris.

LanceT

Auditioning
I have Avia which I can bring if anyone wants to try it out. Bring the Fifth Element for sure, I'm sure most people are quite familar with how the movie looks on their own setup's.
I'm looking for a HD-RPTV too but unsure of which model to get. From what I remeber the only RPTV's Smart Home had last time were Toshiba's. They also had some widescreen Lowee tube TV's.

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody have a digital camera that they wouldn't mind bringing? Some of the other forum members maybe interested in seeing a Calgary HT meeting....just a thought.
Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Although it's not a hi-res digital camera, I did plan on bringing mine. I will take some shots of the group throughout the day, and make them available with a write-up for the HTF Meets Page.
I'll also make them available to the meet attendees.
------------------
View My DVD Collection

LanceT

Auditioning
Just to let everyone know (sorry for the short notice), I'm only bring one other person with me so there should be an empty space at Smart Home Sys, contact Dale to comfirm if there is one or not.
Again, I'm sorry for the late reply but I just finished talking with the 2nd person 10 mins ago.

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Lance:
Don't worry about the cancellation. As you may have read, one of our earlier cancellations (Dan Mercier) has had his plans change and is now able to attend. That means we sit at the same number.
All is well and good.... now if I can only get this place of mine in decent enough shape so that people won't think I'm a total slob (I admit to being a bachelor, nothing else!). :)
------------------
View My DVD Collection

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I have a canon powershot s10 (2.1 mega pixel) that I will bring with three batteries just in case. This will be the second time in a year of owning it that I will have used it
:) . In addition, I'll bring 2 or 3 DVDs just in case for reference material. I'll try to bring some problem DVDs, ie picture, known bugs, so we can test em out whilst we browse. See ya all there!
cheers!
Josh
------------------
People say life is short. It ain't. Life is LONG, especially if you make the wrong decisions. -Chris Rock

Chris M

Second Unit
What a great meet today guys. If you want to get ahold of me, my ICQ # is 5623564.
Chris.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
so come on guys, where are the pictures?!?!
------------------
THAT'S just EVIL!!!! and EVIL is WRONG!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.