What's new

Newbie - purchased 50Hz 76cm widescreen TV (1 Viewer)

JonathanJB

Auditioning
I'm in Australia and I've purchased a Philips 76cm widescreen TV which has a refresh rate of only 50Hz, not 100Hz.

It has the typical European video inputs to choose from:
* Composite
* S-Video
* RGB (SCART connector)

But no COMPONENT !?

Now nearly all DVD players in Australia are built with the Japanese video outputs:
* Composite
* S-Video
* COMPONENT

! ! ! no RGB present. ! ! !

In fact the only DVD players with RGB outputs are VERY pricey.

I would much prefer to use the RGB connection because its supposed to provide a better image than S-Video, but I don't know how big the difference is meant to be.

Is it a big difference ? Is S-Video good ? Will the difference be noticeable on my 50Hz 76cm display ?

Im sure that it would be noticeable on a 100Hz 92cm display.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The difference between RGB/component and s-video isn't as great as the difference between s-video and composite. The greatest improvement is colour purity, but on a 76cm TV I wouldn't be too concerned.

Loewe sell players with RGB SCART in Australia which aren't too expensive, and K-MART have a Magnavox model with RGB SCART that's less than AU$200.

Adam

Cagri

Second Unit
I have a Pioneer 515 DVD player which is hooked to my Loewe TV via scart, but it isn't RGB, it is only scart. The TV supports the RGB, I don't know if it is the player which doesn't.

Because you get a player with a scart out, it doesn't mean you get RGB.

I don't know what to do to get RGB via scart, and a thread I started some time ago about this didn't answer this question. Maybe someone will shed some light on this issue as well...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The SCART connection is all over Europe (and Australia). It's the standard TV connection here. Although, theoretically, there's room for S-Video (called S-VHS in Europe) in a special SCART version, it's very seldom used. TV sets have a separate input for S-Video. So DVD players (and S-VHS VCR players) have a special outlet for it.

The two main versions of the SCART connection are: one way and two-ways. "One-way" only serves to bring the video (and audio) signals in, "two-way" also allows for signal-out.
Most TV-sets have one "two-way" SCART connection and additionally one or more "one-way" connections.

There are "SCART to split" cables, generally having a red, blue and yellow cable (red and blue = L & R audio, yellow = composite video).

Cees

Cagri

Second Unit
Cees, can you explain the SCART-RGB relation in regard to my question in my previous post please?
Thanks

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Most modern DVD players with SCART connections are RGB capable, although there are exceptions among entry-level models and older player such as the Pioneer 515, which offers only composite video through SCART.

Pioneer's entry-level models still do not offer RGB via SCART, although all models above the 343 include RGB SCART capability.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks