What's new

New Surround System (1 Viewer)

Brad Scott

Agent
Hello,

I am looking for a new surround system; actually, just the speakers. I have a Denon receiver, but wish to add the front, center, rear, and sub speakers. My budget is pretty small right now; maybe $500 - $800.

I would like smaller speakers, just for the sake of integrating them into the room better - but I don't want to give up too much in sound quality. I hear a lot about the Bose satellite speakers, but I'm not sure if most of it is just hype and marketing. What are some better options?

Could you recommend an affordable ($600) speaker package that will deliver a good sound in a smaller footprint?

Thanks

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
One of the best in the slightly less expensive range is the Acoustic Research HC6, which can be found for around $400 or a little less.

If you could see your way clear to $900, the Rocket ELT package is an outstanding value.

Brad Scott

Agent
Thanks, Lew. I was on the Rocket site, and didn't see the ELTs. Where can I find out more on this package?

Thanks.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
This thread has a lot of pictures and discussion on the ELT package. This is from the Dallas road show. Mark had these speakers in his hotel suite and I had a personal demo of them there. As you can imagine, this was not the best of conditions, but even so, I was very impressed. The quality of the workmanship was quite good—perhaps not quite to the level of the rosewood Rockets or the birds eye maple of the Reference speakers, but anyone would be impressed with these looks for $900. I have not heard a better sounding $900 package regardless of the looks.

The sound would be an order of magnitude over a similar Bose configuration.

It is all preorder right now, so you might want to call Sean, Steve or one of the other guys at AV123 to get an arrival date. I got an e-mail from AV123 that mentions that they will provide free shipping for preorders before 8/15.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
What kind of finish are you looking for? Wood,black,silver,white,or a shiny finish.
If you are looking for a small wood finish check out Link Removed and check out the Micros system. They can be finished in a few different colors. They are smaller than they look in the photo. I got black ones.

hitendra

Grip
Whatever speakers you are buying - I would encourage you to check :
1) The power output it can take - make sure that's close to what your receiver can throw out
2) The impedance - if your Denon has 8 ohm impedance, you need speakers with 8 ohm impedance.

So, for all the speakers you are evaluating, do look for this - especially for BOSE.

I personally like some of JBL speakers and they might just fit your pocket. I think $800-$1000 should get you a good set. If you can't, I would suggest buy the Front/C/Rear and then add the sub later.

jeff ha

Auditioning
Brad - I just ordered a similar setup to what you're talking about here. I will also be using a Denon for power (1603). In listening to several lower end speaker systems I ended up with the Klipsch Quintet with with their KSW10 sub. At $550 shipped, it is at the lower end of your price range. The other finalist was a Paradigm system which was about $200 more but I felt the Klipsch's were equal in sound quality. The diminutive size of the Klipsch's were also a selling point for me as that is what I set out looking for. The Paradigm satellites were a bit bigger.

MikeTrotter

Agent
within the 500-800.00 budget I would recommend two pairs of Paradigm Atoms and a Paradigm CC170 center.Then when more money comes available add a sub.Just my .02 worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks