What's new

New Netflix user very, very Impressed! (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Randy Korstick said:
Not any more they already canceled many classic TV shows in June and more this Month are being axed like Adam 12, Magnum and leave it to beaver. They plan to continue to remove more Universal shows the rest of this year to free up more money to make original Netflix series. Their future is definitely modern and not classics.
The A-Team is still on there; we're watching it right now. I suppose it will be removed later this year, but we're going to enjoy it until then. If they pull it I suppose I'll buy the DVD's.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Jim Mcc said:
I agree. Some people expect Netflix to have every single show and movie forever. It's ridiculous.
The problem to me is they axe shows and then many never return. A large percentage of their classic tv output has been removed in the past 8 weeks and not replaced with other classic tv series. Do I expect EVERY show ever produced to be on netflix well thats a bit of a stretch.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Supposedly Avengers: Age of Ultron is going to stream on Netflix starting Sept. 8.....way before even a Digital HD sell-thru, let alone DVD/Blu-ray. Interesting strategy..... I'm not sure what they gain by it.

P

Patrick Donahue

Stephen Brooks said:
Supposedly Avengers: Age of Ultron is going to stream on Netflix starting Sept. 8.....way before even a Digital HD sell-thru
The Digital HD sell thru date is Sept. 8

P

Patrick Donahue

Stephen Brooks said:
So it's free the same day you can buy it? Double weird.
Well... not sure...

That surprised me when I read it so I did a little Google-Fu and I found one site that listed it on their Netflix coming soon calender but about 10 others that didn't. My gut says it's not coming on Netflix like you said but I wasn't sure enough of that to say anything...

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
No way that Netflix is going to get a new release blockbuster until the sell-through well runs dry (or at least to a trickle). That goes for any other new theatrical release that does any respectable box office (assuming that Netflix has a chance of getting it anyway).

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yeah Netflix is/was good for TV series but their movie selection is not so hot. 60% of them are bad direct to video movies that they must get dirt cheap because they are always there and never go away unlike big studio movies and classic TV.

bruceames said:
No way that Netflix is going to get a new release blockbuster until the sell-through well runs dry (or at least to a trickle). That goes for any other new theatrical release that does any respectable box office (assuming that Netflix has a chance of getting it anyway).

P

Patrick Donahue

Took this pic on my TV last night. Apparently they just throw everything together :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    945 KB · Views: 54

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Ron - I know you mentioned that you only watch TV shows on Netflix, but I really, really want to recommend you check out The Hole, a 3D film directed by Joe Dante that got a very limited theatrical release here in the US, and was NOT released on 3D Blu-ray here in the US, either. Netflix does have it in 3D, and it's actually very good 3D (it was shot in native 3D).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Todd Erwin said:
Ron - I know you mentioned that you only watch TV shows on Netflix, but I really, really want to recommend you check out The Hole, a 3D film directed by Joe Dante that got a very limited theatrical release here in the US, and was NOT released on 3D Blu-ray here in the US, either. Netflix does have it in 3D, and it's actually very good 3D (it was shot in native 3D).

Todd, I am going to see you next week at the HTF meet.

Have a conversation with me about this then. No way I will be able to watch it between now and the meet.

At least when I see you, I can make a mental note to watch it when I return.

Thanks

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Has anybody noticed that there a bunch of Warner catalog titles being added to Netflix, but downgraded to standard definition? Titles that have recently come out on Blu-ray like On the Town and Anchors Aweigh, as well as newer movies like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Million Dollar Baby, and some of the Batman movies? It's one thing to put stuff out in SD for which HD masters aren't available, but this is a new tactic to deliberately downgrade quality to SD so as not to compete with HD sales. Thoughts?

Edit: Nevermind. These titles are indeed in HD. I was checking on my computer rather than on my TV. Netflix has the ability to limit HD just to TV and restrict computer and device streaming to SD on a title by title basis.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I just watched Million Dollar Baby tonight (for the first time) and I'm sure it was labelled HD, and was actually in HD. It definitely wasn't SD.

Screenshot with HD label top right:
image.jpeg

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Persianimmortal said:
I just watched Million Dollar Baby tonight (for the first time) and I'm sure it was labelled HD, and was actually in HD. It definitely wasn't SD.

Screenshot with HD label top right:
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg
I have corrected my post. These titles are in HD when streamed on my TV but limited to SD on my computer.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Mark-P said:
Edit: Nevermind. These titles are indeed in HD. I was checking on my computer rather than on my TV. Netflix has the ability to limit HD just to TV and restrict computer and device streaming to SD on a title by title basis.

I think it may be something at your end. The screenshot I posted earlier was actually from my iPad's Netflix app not my TV, and I just ran the same title in Netflix on my PC's browser and it's still saying it's in HD:

Untitled.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks