What's new

New editions of 4 Muppet movies coming soon! Widescreen confirmed. (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I am just thrilled. I concur about the AWFUL sound and picture of the current Sony discs (though they are OAR). The audio on the laserdiscs was GREAT which makes it even more strange.

I can't wait to see what Disney does...Muppet movie and muppet caper are 2 of my all-time FAVORITE films...

and seeing Christmas Carol and Treasure Island in OAR for the first time will be such a joy.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
That really is too bad. I'm glad I have the Columbia versions of Movie and Caper. However, These new versions don't look like they have anything too exciting on them anyway judging from the specs. But there's no chance I'll rebuy now if this news is indeed true.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
Think I'm going to hold off judgement until I see an office press release...

....and for a R1 release, a R1 website at least.

I'll be very angry if the 1.33:1 turns out to be true though....

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe

Wow. I love how I post something here, totally innocently, and I automatically get at least one moderately rude, certainly confrontational, response. Always makes me feel warm inside.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
That's not confirmation...that's the "current" info as reported for the UK discs...

let's wait a while yet folks before we get up in arms...we won't know for sure for a while...

Of course...if any of you want to call that little 1-800 number on the back of your Disney DVDs and tell the PR folks how much you and YOUR FAMILY would enjoy WS 16x9 OAR versions of these upcoming discs...I won't try to stop you...

:D

Jake Yenor

Stunt Coordinator
Someone who has connections over with the Muppet division at Disney(He had info on TMS Season 1 and Fraggle Rock Season 1 among others before it was annouced and has proven himself right many, many times had this to say):

"I have e-mailed Disney and have gotten both sides of the story. DisneyDirect e-mail customer support said they will be fullscreen; and whereas the Disney-DVD support e-mail told me they would be widescreen; and Disney consumer service phone hotline said this information was not released or final yet. But other people I've talked to have said widescreen for sure.

It is hard to say which way it will be in the end. Sometimes people get untrue information from the customer services. Due to the high amount of inquires processed and the high use of standard form responces mistakes happen (I've seen it 1,000 times). Maybe the person responding at Disney Direct looked at the old 2002 Muppet DVDs for the specs, maybe they have wrong information in there database. Who knows? Until the official Disney press release is out (which should be soon) it is hard to tell for sure what will be on the discs.(I remember a while back the DisneyDirect people responded with DVD features for "The Muppets Wizard of Oz" that were 100% wrong - such as "'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' Ashanti Music Video?")."

For what it's worth, there was a trailer for these 4 special editions on the Muppet Show season 1 DVD, and while no specs whatsoever were revealed, there were clips showed from all 4 films (though mainly the post-Jim Henson ones) and the clips were in widescreen. This of course isn't any kind of certainty, but it's some small hope, which I'll cling to until we get more information.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

that wasnt rude or confrontaional.
just matter of factly stating other info has been given previously.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
*sigh*

I hope the Press Release is wrong, but I have little hope that it is. Stupid, stupid move by Disney if true. Saves me $$ to buy other things, though.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I'm sending an email to my Disney rep asking for clarification. I would encourage those of you who care to be non-passive about this news if it turnes out to be true.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
Yet another source for Fool Screen only--The Muppet News Central--

"...However they do make it clear that the aspect ratio on all four DVDs is a butchered 1.33:1 transfer..."

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
What are they playing at? :thumbsdown:

I'm hoping this is some sort of mix up ala the Ghostbusters fullscreen packaging slip-up.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe

There's some anecdote, somewhere online, that Brian Henson called them up for the first Muppet releases (Christmas Carol and Treasure Island) and pleaded with them for OAR releases....

At that point, Henson wasn't just the director, he was also the guy running the Jim Henson Company.

... and they said no.

I think the Muppet Season One set, which no one expected, got everyone thinking Disney was going to do right... it lulled us into forgetting it was Disney.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Ohmigosh. I just Ebayed my old Muppet Movie DVD. What a dope I am not waiting for the official specs.

I just don't believe this.

It's time for a massive campaign on our part, a la Willy Wonka from a few years back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks