What's new

New editions of 4 Muppet movies coming soon! Widescreen confirmed. (1 Viewer)

DavidBC

Second Unit
I was this close to selling my old Muppet Movie disc yesterday, but didn't because it occoured to me that the outdoor camera test with Fozzie and Kermit might not be on it. Looks like I lucked out, that camera test is the least of what's missing...:angry:

I really hope this news changes.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
MY GOD. I really hope this is not the case. Fortunately, I still have my Muppet Movie, but I couldn't wait to buy the Muppet Christmas Carol, finally! BUT not if it's full screen! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about a Home Theater Forum campaign?

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Adam_WM wrote:

Full frame would be great and hopefully it would be anamorphic widescreen.

Full Screen in the 4:3 ratio (Pan & Scan), is what I won't buy.

Paul

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This really makes no sense. There are already full screen versions of "Muppet Treasure Island" and "Muppet Christmas Carol" in stores. Why release them again?

I'd think the whole point of these re-releases would be to catch the collectors who refused to buy them previously by releasing an OAR version.

Those who've already purchased the full screen versions aren't likely to double dip. Those who refused to purchase the full screen versions the first time will not buy them this time, either.

What's the point, Disney?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This makes me sick. First they cut 5 Muppet Shows, then this atrocity. Ol' Jim must be turning around in his grave.

Call: 1-800-723-4763

And tell them you won't buy mutilated Muppet movies!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Very few movies involving puppets can be shown "open matte"...if you thought that the security chain in PeeWee when he's locking up his bike was a give-away...adults holding their arms up with muppets on the end of them looks even worse...

Treasure Island was true P/S 4x3. I'm pretty sure that the other Muppet movies were hard-matte, or somewhere in between (with a 4x3 version at least partially cropping the sides).

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
While the aspect ratio issue is the most important thing here, I'd also like to point out that the "extras" that DVD Times gives for this release are really pathetic. The only extra for The Muppet Movie and Muppet Caper is something called "Pepe Profiles Present". Not even a lousy trailer. Some "special edition"!

I really thought Disney was going to put some effort into their Muppet properties when I saw how nice the Muppet Show DVD set looked. Sad to be so mistaken.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
Grrrrrr.....guess it looks like I'll be waiting a little while longer to complete my Muppets Collection (didn't buy Christmas Carol or Treasure Island because they were MAR...won't buy them now!)

I've emailed Disney....again :rolleyes

WillG

Senior HTF Member

That's what boggles my mind as well. I assume that is it's "The Children" mentality that dictates the Pan and Scan decision, but the thing is, it's not like the children are being bombarded with Muppet productions in heavy rotation on children based networs. So it does seem like the people who will buy this will be older people who have fondness for these films from their past. The real sad thing will be if the remasted A/V turns out to be great.

I don't know about anyone else, but it often seems depressing to be a DVD enthusiast these days. With annoucements like this, widescreen transfers being dropped off of many DVDs, more and more edited syndication versions of shows on DVD etc. I know there's still a lot to be excited about, but when it's bad news it really does let me down a lot.

One more things. It seems amazing to me that after all this time, people still sell off an older version of a disc planning to upgrade before they know the specs of the newer edition. Is it to make a few bucks on ebay in the time between when the older version goes OOP and the annoucement of a new edition?

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

David, they're ALL hard matte. CHRISTMAS CAROL is as badly panned-and-scanned as you'll ever see a 1.85 film! :frowning:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Folks...remain calm for the moment (though I still wouldn't discourage anyone from POLITELY letting Disney know how much they want WS). My Disney rep is getting back to me with the information he's able to uncover and it may be that the released specs don't tell the whole story...I'll keep you posted...

Daniel Lee

Auditioning
I heard from a friend at Disney that these four releases will have both full frame and 16x9 widescreen on the same disc.

Dan

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
The SONY releases had both widescreen and P&S. Why is Disney afraid to even include a choice?

If the aspect ratio is 4:3 and the extras are that anemic, why would anyone spend $20 on these releases when they can still find the SONY dvds for $8? C'mon Disney, you have to give SOME benefit.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
My Rep just got back to me with what he's been able to find out.

His info comports with Dan's...

The 4 Muppet DVDs will contain dual-aspect ratio presentations of all 4 movies...both WS 16x9 and P/S presentations will be on each disc.

Great news :emoji_thumbsup: And since these are true "Pan and scan" examples...it will be a good "see what you're missing" demo for folks who need to get educated about widescreen...and they'll have both versions on the same DVD.

I'm thrilled. Let's see what comes in the official press...my rep said that he alerted the PR folks and that an updated press release should follow soon...

:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks