What's new

New Doctor Who titles coming in 2004! (1 Viewer)

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
According to Gallifreyone, BBC America has informed them that two new releases will be available during each quarter of 2004.

The first two titles announced are the classic Patrick Troughton story The Seeds of Death and the anniversary episode The Three Doctors. There is no offical release date announced yet.

It will be interesting to see how the packaging looks for The Three Doctors, as the Region 2 release comes with the Corgi replica of the dooctor's car, Bessie.

Howie

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I'd like to see full season box sets for all of the many many seasons. Sure, it'd cost as much as my video set-up, but at least I'd have one of my favorite shows on DVD! And for the episodes that are old and they lost most or all of the footage, I'll take storyboards and audio. They can get some of the "Doctor"s to read the scripts.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Hartnell, Troughton and Pertwee are all dead, unfortunately; and those Doctors are the ones with the missing episodes.

Two per quarter are not enough, to be sure, but I for one appreciate mixing up the releases - However, there are not nearly enought Peter Davison episodes being released, IMHO.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Not enough Colin Baker episodes released either.

Frankly I can't justify paying $20 for one story when there are season box sets of other shows out for $40 or $60 or $80. They're gouging Who fans with this trickle-out release schedule.

They should release the whole Trial of a TimeLord season as one box.

Todd K

Second Unit
I'm torn on this issue. Season sets are very desireable, but since there are so many, it makes sense from an economic standpoint to buy just individual episodes. Yet, due to the serialized nature of the show, I'm sure many fans would like to pick and choose longer runs from their favorite eras. I could see myself buying seasons 12, 13 and 14, simply because I'll probably end up buying more than half the stories from that period anyway.

As for the lost shows, I'm always hesitant to buy reconstructions/audios because I'm hopeful that someday the missing pieces will be found.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Also, aren't they putting these out as they are being restored? Probably isn't a cheap process, either.

Jason

Real Name
Anthony
These discs are already out in the UK as part of the show's 40th Anniversary. A huge amount of work has gone into them and I can guarantee you won't be disappointed with them when they arrive.

A commentary has also been recorded for the John Pertwee story "Terror of the Autons" so expect that sometime in late 2004.

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
These disc are already out in the UK as part of the show's 40th Anniversary.
Anthony, did you receive an advanced copy of The Three Doctors?...the Region 2 release date is not until the end of November.

I've found that the best way to collect all of the Doctor Who discs is by buying them during their first week of release for a reasonable sale price. The exception to this would be The Key to Time box set, which I had to wait on for several months until it went on sale.

My first choice would be to get all the episode released in some kind of chronological order, preferably in season sets. Given the amount of resoration going into all the early episodes, it would take even longer to see box sets of the Hartnell, and Troughton seasons.

As for the upcoming releases we can expect to see the titles already in release in the UK;

Earthshock
The Two Doctors
The Curse of Fenric
The Enemy Within

Also, the tile winner of the BBC poll was The Pyramids of Mars, so this should not be far behind as well.

I think it's a given that The Trial of the Timelord will be released as a box set, similar the vhs release. Bottom line is I'm happy to get Doctor Who anyway possible!

Howie

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
The Enemy Within
Where did this title, The Enemy Within, come from? I understand it refers to the movie, but I've never been able to learn where it comes from. Certainly the r2 DVD is titled only "The Movie".

Anyway, don't be too hopeful about The Movie getting a release in the US. As I understand it, it's tied up in rights issues, and probably won't happen.

Remember that The Movie was one of the first eight releases in the UK, and it hasn't been yet released in region 4 (which usually only runs a couple of months behind the UK). The Movie will probably only be a UK release.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Cover art and full specs for The Seeds of Death and The Three Doctors are available in the TVShowsOnDVD news article I published last night. Release date is March 2nd. Seeds is 2-disc and lists at $34.98, while the 1-disc Doctors is $24.98 SRP. For full details, please visit the article. I regret that restrictions keep me from linking the graphics directly in here, but I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Red Dwarf fans will also find an announcement for #'s 3 and 4 in a separate article I published.

There ARE indications that The Doctor Who TV Movie will see a USA release in the year 2004. Nothing is finalized, but the possibility for release is there.

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Matthew,

Enemy Within was the title assigned to the movie by producer Philip Segal during production work on it back in 1996. I've always referred to the movie as Enemy Within and have it labeled as such in my collection. As an eternal optomist, I've always assumed there would be more new episodes, and referring to the latest title as "the movie" always annoyed me.

I think many Dr. Who fans are hoping that when the new series begins, the story will pick-up right where the movie left off...if not, it will be the first time a new round of Dr. Who has been presented without a regeneration sequence. I want more Paul McGann!

Howie

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,

Forgot to say thanks for the info! I'm still hoping there will be a collectors release of The Three Doctors similar to the Region 2 version with Bessie attached.

Howie

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The Restoration team is somewhere beyond dedicated and into the realm of above-and-beyond, but $20 is still too high, and they never seem to get price cut.

I'm still waiting for Black Adder to go on sale, and it's been at least two years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks