What's new

Need help with settings on new Polk audio/Onkyo surround equip. (1 Viewer)

marshnme

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Hello, I am looking for some help with settings on my new surround. I have a very small living room/house 1,500sqft. Long Living room. Wood floors. Here is what I have.
Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR703 Receiver
Polk RTi70 Main speakers
Polk CS350-LS Center Speaker
Klipsch rear speakers, Not sure of model, just know they are THX speakers
Velondyne VA-1512
some of the question I have are , one, with the sub.
Where to set the Phase knob too?
Low-pass crossover? should i set it too around 100hz?
there is a lowpass crossover switch, set to normal or bypass?
also there is a Highpass switch i can go from 80hz or 100hz
Next, when I go to to speaker setup/config, it allows me to set hz of each speaker, mains, sub, rear, and center,
80hz (THX certified) is what I have them all on now.
sub, I can set it to LFE or Direct B
And last ,( for now) LOL, when I use the set-up MIC to set speakers, when done, it sets all my speaker levels very low, all of the - dB, then I have to go back in and move each individual one back up, or else I have to turn volume knob up very high. ( well about 70%)
Thanks for all the set up help guys. Bear with me!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Where to set the Phase knob too?
Leave it alone
Low-pass crossover? should i set it too around 100hz?
Use the AVR for crossover control
there is a lowpass crossover switch, set to normal or bypass?
Ignore it
also there is a Highpass switch i can go from 80hz or 100hz
Ignore it
Next, when I go to to speaker setup/config, it allows me to set hz of each speaker, mains, sub, rear, and center,
80hz (THX certified) is what I have them all on now.
If that is what you like, sure. Otherwise find out what each speaker is capable of, and round up to the nearest choice
sub, I can set it to LFE or Direct B
LFE
And last ,( for now) LOL, when I use the set-up MIC to set speakers, when done, it sets all my speaker levels very low, all of the - dB, then I have to go back in and move each individual one back up, or else I have to turn volume knob up very high. ( well about 70%)
The AVR picks your most efficient speaker and backs the rest off to compensate. Volume attenuation on Modern AVR is based on rises in SPL, not like you remember volume knobs of yore. So, if you raise it to 70%....the is 70% SPL, not 7/10 on a volume knob

marshnme

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
ok, that helps a lot! Thanks.
Now, when you say to "ignore it" for some of those sub settings, I'm assuming it doesn't matter what i switch it to because it is being controlled by the AVR?
now, when you "Use the AVR for crossover control", what or where will i go in setting to make sure the crossover is set correctly?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Now, when you say to "ignore it" for some of those sub settings, I'm assuming it doesn't matter what i switch it to because it is being controlled by the AVR?
Exactly
now, when you "Use the AVR for crossover control", what or where will i go in setting to make sure the crossover is set correctly?
Well, you already said THX/80hz has been selected. There is no "correct". There is "way off", but the only way to decide if 80hz is "not optimal" is to listen with your own ears...and know what the speakers are capable of...frequency wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks