What's new

Need an affordable HTiB with good sound quality and HDMI a/v processing (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Riley Morgan
I think I'm starting to get the difference between open box and refurb. Here's what I'm concerned about: Refurb from acs4less is a model that actually had a major defect, such as overheating or some such and was sent in for service. Open box model from newegg is a perfectly brand-new model that someone returned because they changed their mind. There's also the opposite where the open box is missing everything important and has major scratches and such, heavy use. and the refurb is practically brand new. And then there's the model that's brand new from Amazon for $50 more man I wish I caught that christmas sale...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No, I did not say "all refurb are repaired"... The vast majority of refurb is returns sent back to the manufacturer cause the retailer had too many of them(the retailer, be it BB, CC, HH Gregg, Amazon...whoever). Can they return them for full credit? No. Onkyo sells a crapton via Walmart and Amazon. Amazon and Walmart get a crapton of "returns". Onkyo gets back a bunch of those "crapton of returns". They unload them to A4L.

Real Name
Riley Morgan
So after all considerations, which seems better, refurb or open box? I wish I could get more information from newegg about the open box but the description is very sparse

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Remember, a brand new model can fail right out of the box as well. In all honesty, I have no idea why a receiver is sold as a factory refurb. I can only offer my past experiences. I've bought several refurbished products from ac4l.com (and I think something from ecost) and all looked and worked good as new with all accesssories. In fact, I couldn't tell them from new if they weren't packaged in a different box. I've also bought a few open box models of varying condition, but they all worked fine, except an H/K DVD-5 which may have been my first open box purchase. It showed all the signs I've learned to avoid over the years. But I have seen many. many open box items for sale that I wouldn't pay a nickel for. Without actually seeing the item for myself I just don't know whatthey are going to send me. I don't think I've ever bought a "customer return" but probably have*. Open box and factory refurbished can both be excellent purchases but I've now come to expect a refurb to be good as new (ac4l may have set the bar too high). I wouldn't hesitate to by a refurb from an authorized dealer but judging by the condition of many open box items found at retail stores I have to see them in person if at all possible. I've wandered around Vanns website over the years and they describe items as new, customer returned and open box. Since they have (or had) a retail showroom I can only assume an open box was a floor model. I might be wrong but...Again, judging the condition of open box items I've seen in other stores I wouldn't buy one on the net if there were other options available. *Back in 2002 or so I bought a Toshiba universal dvd changer, model 6915 I think, from BB. I failed right out of the box. I returned it and bought another 6915. It also failed right out of the box. Returned that one too. A week later they were both back on the shelf as open-boxes at a reduced price. Bottom line is, it really doesn't matter if it's an open box, a refurb new, used, whatever. If the price is right and the condition is acceptable then you pay your money and you take your chances. New is best, but it doesn't mean it will be. Many of my best purchases are made on CL. Anyway Riley, I'm sorry you missed out on your christmas sale, but another great deal is just around the corner. You just need to be patient and keep pounding the pavement (or keyboard).

Real Name
Riley Morgan
Ahh...this is what I get for deliberation. So acs4less is the way to go? Anyone know how to get free shipping through them? Maybe I should re-think my choice...I always take forever to decide on equipment like this

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Throwing you a bone... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290066 http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTRC330/Onkyo-HT-RC330-5.1-CHANNEL-HOME-THEATER-RECEIVER/1.html

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If the shipping from A4L gets you close to this...choose this... http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00A659J88/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=used&me=&qid=&seller=&sr= (the open box for $185)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Occasionally they offer free shipping on some items but sometimes the price of the item is increased by $50. They have done this on Marantz BluRay players. One will be listed for $649 with free shipping while the same item is listed elsewhere at $599 + shipping. Another thing you need to consider when buying anywhere with free shipping is often times the shiiping charge is deducted from the refund amount. Be sure to read the warranty and return policies before buying. Newegg often has different return policies for receivers categorized differently (open-box, close-out, customer return, etc).

Real Name
Riley Morgan
Just a few problems with the receiver. I really need to get 1080p output so I can make the most of my ps3 and 1080p tv. And I wouldn't mind having support for 7.1 if in the future I decide to upgrade the speakers to that setup

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What AVR has anybody linked that doesn't support 1080P? I can't think of any HDMI AVR ever made that can't pass 1080P. I don't think one has ever been made, cause it would be completely worthless.

Real Name
Riley Morgan
Oh I must have misread the description then, it was describing output for component video at 720p and 1080i, but HDMI must output in 1080p. So do you think that receiver and speaker combo would sound much better than the ht-S5500?

Real Name
Riley Morgan
Haha, I mean I've already considered this alternative, and it seemed way out of my price range. Schan1269 linked me to a speaker package and receiver that was within my price range. What I'm asking is if that would sound THAT much better than the HT-S5500, if not I think my current plan is go with the HT-S5500 and upgrade speakers along the way. Since the 5500 seems to have a very good receiver with many options, I feel it's a good starting point with decent sound quality. BTW, my price range is $300, I'm trying not to go any higher than that unless absolutely necessary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks