What's new

Multi-rating dvds (1 Viewer)

Francois L

Stunt Coordinator
Can somebody help me find dvds that support multi-rating feature.
------------------
"My god, it`s full of stars!"

JeremyJones

Agent
I do wish more dvds had this feature. There are MANY movies that my whole family would enjoy if they would just remove a few words or scenes. The Matrix and Blues Brothers are two that just popped in my mind.

Francois L

Stunt Coordinator
Thank's guys. Yes Jeremy, I think there should be more of them and it's a feature of dvd that's is not enough exploited.
------------------
"My god, it`s full of stars!"

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Are you talking about films that use seamless branching to include the R rated and the Unrated version of the film or DVDs that use the parental lock feature to either not let kids play the film when they enter the DVD into the player or that blocks out specific scenes and words?
For films that use seamless branching...
Body Shots
Embrace of the Vampire
Posion Ivy 1 - 3
As for the parental lock feature, I never seen a DVD that lets you block out specific scenes, words, what not.
There are MANY movies that my whole family would enjoy if they would just remove a few words or scenes. The Matrix and Blues Brothers are two that just popped in my mind.
Oh yes, cause if you remove a few words or scenes from The Matrix for the whole family to enjoy, why not delete almost every intense action scene?
rolleyes.gif

------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Ivan Berisic

Stunt Coordinator
Why can't your family enjoy The Matrix? The violence is kept to an absolute minimum, there's no profanity and no nudity. This movie should've been a PG-13.
------------------

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
This movie should've been a PG-13.
Ivan, not really. The film does show bloodshed, and according to the MPAA, it means it's R.
frown.gif

------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Why can't your family enjoy The Matrix? The violence is kept to an absolute minimum, there's no profanity and no nudity. This movie should've been a PG-13.
Well, sometimes people get antsy about movies which depict the wholesale slaughter of police officers, and a man cold-bloodedly murdering helpless people who trust him. The Matrix earned its R with the attack on the police station, at the very least.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
This was supposed to be a big selling point for DVDs when the format was first introduced. But you're right, Francois, it's not used enough; most studios elect to waste their money by packaging two complete versions of the disc--i.e. American Pie. I know that Crash gives the viewer the option of choosing between an R version and the theatrical NC-17.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
This was supposed to be a big selling point for DVDs when the format was first introduced. But you're right, Francois, it's not used enough; most studios elect to waste their money by packaging two complete versions of the disc--i.e. American Pie.
To be fair, American Pie (and most other dual-ratings discs) exists in two formats not to give the consumer a choice, but because Blockbuster and Wal-Mart won't carry unrated or NC-17 material. Universal released the unrated cut as something of a marketing ploy, and I'm fairly certain that it would have been the only version available if they could get it sold at Blockbuster and Wal-Mart.
If the DVD included both versions, the stores in question wouldn't carry it anyway — totally defeating the purpose of having the R-rated cut on there in the first place.

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
Actually the stores would carry them then since they would have no choice.
BB around here has Kalifornia, Body Shots( even 9 1/2 Weeks which only has the unrated version!!) & a few other dual rated discs. Of course if it says NC-17 on it,they won't carry it which is why i can't find thhe Crash dvd at any BB or Hollywood or store around here besides Best Buy ect.
Still BB is messed up that certain movies they do carry the unrated version,but for most they don't(at least the one near my house,though i don't rent from BB anymore :))

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
The upcoming MGM DVD has both the R-rated and totally uncut (dialogue and visuals) versions of Dressed to Kill.
------------------
"Here lies Ash Buchanan, protected by the Ejaculation of Serpents" - coming to DVD on 21st August 2001

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
~ i managed to pick up *Crash* as one of my enrollment titles at CH. There's a good 10 min. difference between the R and NC-17 rating.
The discs itself has one of the most beautiful mirror finishes I've ever seen, it looks like Fine Italian Black Lacquer on high end furniture.
bodymov'n
cool.gif

------------------
[Edited last by Mike Friedrich on August 13, 2001 at 05:48 AM]

I am also one who would enjoy a movie like the matrix where the fat(violence, language) is trimmed.
I don't enjoy blood andor guts. Just show me a great story and tell it with only nessacery profanity and minimal violence.
And don't give me any of that 'the artist's vision' crap.
I will view a movie the way i choose.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
And don't give me any of that 'the artist's vision' crap.
Many people around here would find that remark offensive, perhaps it should be censored
wink.gif
(but then again, that would also be offensive, wouldn't it?)
On a more serious side, I think you will find that most people here are in this hobby because they want to be able to experience 'the artist's vision'...
------------------
/Mikael
No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
They should have included the first laserdisc version of "Insatiable" on the DVD- it was pressed in Japan, and there's certain things you can't show, period, in Japan, so they cleaned it up with a lot of cheesy video effects- split-screens and that sorta thing. They later reissued it uncut on a disc pressed in the US, but I've heard the Japanese disc is pretty funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks