What's new

"Monk" Season 8 thread (1 Viewer)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I definitely agree that it was like the episode you mention in a less intense way. While he was still being himself and fretting about everything this time around, he definitely was much worse in the earlier episode. The dog got away with much more than the kid did, which would be expected since this is the last season and he's given hints of recovering slightly (by pulling off things that he'd never have done in the past like has been mentioned before).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The last stand-alone "Monk" turned out to be a pretty great episode. The opening montague of Monk preparing for his reinstatement hearing was a great homage to the season one instrumental credits and observed the character's unique movements and minor methods with an attention to detail we haven't seen in a long time. Many of the stand-alone episodes consist of Monk getting his hopes up (only to be let down) and that was certainly the case with this one. But as he sat there for hours waiting for the case to begin, you really got the sense that this was more substantial. The A plot was a little more formulaic, with Monk yet again thrown outside his comfort zone and forced to soldier through. I forgive it in this case because a) Monk in Nature with a capital N is always hilarious, and b) it provided the framework for a great Randy Disher episode. Once upon a time, Disher used to just be really gullible and ordinary instead of an out and out idiot. His main character point was flirting with Sharona, though, and once they wrote her out the character became broader and broader. This episode reined that back in a little bit; not only was Randy shown to be a moderately successful leader, he ultimately used his head and foiled the bad guys. I could believe that the Randy in this episode made it to lieutenant in the San Francisco police department. That's far from always the case. This show has a pretty good track record of casting decent child actors, and the "Naked Brothers" kid was no exception.

Next week starts the final four episodes. Something huge to the mythology of the series happens every week from now until the end.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Except for the opening I really disliked this episode.
it was paint by number plot line #47 out of the book of generic plot lines.

Boring and saw it before in a dozens other sitcoms.
With only 5 shows left I was thinking this is what they could come up with to get Monk on the verge of reinstatement.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I didn't care for this one either. I thought the ending was uninspired and unconvincing. It seemed to me as though Monk was overacting a bit in this one -- something I've rarely seen prior to this episode. I also thought the solution to the case was very weak. I found the obligatory disrespectful children we see on many television shows, which was pretty much in full force for much of this episode, to be annoying.

One of the positive aspects of the episode for me was seeing Wade Williams. His work on Charmed as a Seeker ("Death Takes a Halliwell") was frightening when I first saw it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm too exhausted to do my usual analysis of tonight's episode, so I'll just say that my favorite part was how supportive Monk was of the Captain getting married. It'd be easy to resent the captain for getting a Trudy when he would never have his again, but Monk genuinely believes that everybody deserves a true love. It shows that he's made enough progress to think about something outside his own bubble, which sets up the huge events of next week nicely.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
And a thoughtful tidbit on the part of the writers was having her referred to as 'T. K.' throughout the episode, with the one note of explanantion (Trudy) early on.

I didn't feel right about the blonde ('sister-like' friend) right from the get-go. I couldn't put my finger on why, but there was something odd about her, especially with regard to how anxious she was to go along with everything. And then that tuxedo was mentioned quite a few times....

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Yeah, it was pretty obvious to me that it was going to be the 'sister' as soon as she got a little weird when Stottlemeyer took his tux back right near the beginning. Other than that, good episode. At this point, so near the end anyway, it's not so much the mysteries I care about as much anyway, so even though it was obvious, it didn't ruin the episode.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
This season is better than the last two ,with a bunch of Fine shows at the start,the last one wasn't great
and the real sad thing is ONLY TWO MORE :(

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I thought last night's episode was excellent, one of the very best in the series. I liked that Monk carried himself differently as a detective than he does as a private consultant. I loved that they really played out how little he fits into the police culture any more. I loved that he was placed in a situation that exacerbated one of his biggest phobias, and he performed admirably. Most of all, I loved that he was finally able to close that chapter of his life on his terms. I thought it was an interesting and effective choice assigning him to a different precinct, too. Monk has a support system around him, and it was nice to see that he could muddle through outside the support system. It made me appreciate the captain, Disher and Natalie even more.

The two-part series finale looks intense:
Monk has been poisoned with a slow-release killer and must solve Trudy's murder before he himself dies. Will they actually end the series by killing off the title character? Somehow I doubt it, but it would fit in well with other great detectives whose series ended with their deaths, first and foremost Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
The only thing that bugged me in a WTF way was that just two episodes ago he was denied his badge. The only explanation given was that the Captain went to bat for him. Whatever. I can't wait for the finale though.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ed Moroughan

The only thing that bugged me in a WTF way was that just two episodes ago he was denied his badge. The only explanation given was that the Captain went to bat for him. Whatever. I can't wait for the finale though.
This last season has spanned a much broader span of time than a usual season. For instance, six months passed between "Happy Birthday, Mr. Monk" and "Mr. Monk Is the Best Man" four episodes later. USA Network has also been airing the episodes out of order; I think "Mr. Monk Goes Camping" was originally supposed to air earlier in the season.

The original script for this episode also had three months passing between the scenes of Monk utterly failing at desk duty and the scene with Monk and his partner investigating the cat. That would have extended his return as a detective dramatically.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I was sort of hoping for more from Shaloub's wife's third appearance (that I remember offhand) but other than that I agree that it was a good episode.

I had the same thought about this being very close to the last appeal, but figured it was an issue with the episode ordering myself. Either way, wasn't too big a deal.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I liked the episode, but found his temporary reinstatement to be a bit anticlimactic. I'm also beginning to feel like there should be 6-10 more episodes, and not the finale at this point. BTW, was that Melora Hardin I saw in the finale? She's been in several episodes to this point, so it makes sense to me.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What an episode. I'm surprised they were so obvious about who Trudy's killer is so early in the episode, but otherwise it was a really great hour of television. Natalie's dating the navy man more seriously, Julie's going off to college, and Randy appears to be moving to New York:
I think he's going to live with Sharona.
The captain finally got his happily ever after two episodes ago. In other words, all of the characters' storylines are wrapping up in the way you'd expect from a series finale. And then there's Monk. They appear to be taking the dark Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot route, by ending his story with his death. How cruelly ironic that the surprise he'd been saving from Trudy all of these years was actually her insurance policy so that he would be able to solve her murder. Since the parking garage was demolished, I figured the key clue had to be in Trudy's gift. It didn't rob the last minutes of any of their power.

Loved getting a glimpse into Monk and Stottlemeyer's partnership before the breakdown. Loved that the way they used a single case to bookend the series arc. Loved how they took advantage of the unique opportunity a series finale provides to really up the stakes: in a normal episode, we know they aren't going to let the titular character die. At the very end of the series, though, all bets are off. I'm conflicted; on one hand, killing off Monk wouldn't be the horribly depressing ending it'd be on most shows because he would finally be reunited with his Trudy. On the other hand, I think it would be even more poignant if he could build a real life for himself and finally really move forward. I'd also like the occasional Monk TV movie, much like we got countless Columbo TV movies with Peter Falk since the series ended in '89.
I'm going to really miss this show, the one that helped jump start quality cable programming and still the jewel in USA's crown.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Adam you give them way too much credit. There's not even the remote possibility that Monk would be killed off. But I dont' think that would be appropriate for the character/show anyhow.

You make a good point about Monk being the pride of USA's originals. I wonder what they have planned to fill such a large void.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I doubt very much that Monk will be killed off. When it was discovered that he was poisoned, I figured it was only a matter of time before he was cured.

I am looking forward to part two very much. But I still think this storyline ought to have occurred over (at a minimum) four episodes, instead of two. I don't think it will end up doing the storyline justice. We'll see.

As far as Monk being the pride of USA originals, I can think of at least one show I'd rather watch than Monk (although I do love Monk) that to me is the pride of USA originals. But Monk is certainly right up there near the top of the list.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
The new thing that's moving into Monk's timeslot is that "White Collar" show. I've seen a few eps, but not convinced with it yet. Plays too much like Psych or Castle (for me).

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Quote:Originally Posted by Ockeghem

I doubt very much that Monk will be killed off. When it was discovered that he was poisoned, I figured it was only a matter of time before he was cured.
I suspect that Monk will live as well, but I'm not certain. As Adam rightly points out, this is a show where the death of the main character could be considered a happy ending and I can't rule out USA going there.

I am looking forward to part two very much. But I still think this storyline ought to have occurred over (at a minimum) four episodes, instead of two.
I think that would have padded things out. The climax of any story runs more quickly than the build-up. The Fugitive ended with a "mere" two parter. The last act of any play or movie youve ever seen is shorter than the ones leading up to it. Even the punchline of a joke is just that - a line, soemtimes just one word, not a series of lines. That's just the nature of storytelling. I don't think watching Monk pick up one breadcrumb at a time over three or four episodes (and an extra couple of cliff-hangers) would have added materially to the pay-off the last episode will give us.

As far as Monk being the pride of USA originals, I can think of at least one show I'd rather watch than Monk (although I do love Monk) that to me is the pride of USA originals. But Monk is certainly right up there near the top of the list.

OK, I'll bite, what show are you talking about? (And why be so coy about naming it?)

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Originally Posted by AlexF

The new thing that's moving into Monk's timeslot is that "White Collar" show. I've seen a few eps, but not convinced with it yet. Plays too much like Psych or Castle (for me).
I think White Collar is OK. Of course, I like Psych and Castle, so any resemblance is a good thing. But it is certainly no Monk.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks